Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 24" Deluxe, 27" deluxe and 924 DLE, Toro 828XLE, SimplicityST2718

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
gsnow

Ariens 24" Deluxe, 27" deluxe and 924 DLE, Toro 828XLE, SimplicityST2718
Original Message   Aug 31, 2009 12:08 am
Hello,

I have a driveway 40ft X 25ft + 60ft sidewalk, and get quite a lot of snow.

I wanted to get the 24" deluxe (for space) but found it hard to maneuver with both wheels locked, not bad with one wheel unlocked.

I was thinking of moving up to the 27" deluxe (larger than I need) which has the trigger for wheel locking for an extra $130.

My local dealer suggests I upgrade to the 24 DLE  with the automatic traction control, light, handwarmer for $ 464 more than the 24 deluxe.

For a little more I can get a Toro 828 XLE which has the power steering (also larger than I need).

Craftman has a 24" 249cc B+S power steeriing $ 1,000 - same features as the 24" DLE , but not sure about quality.

The locan dealer also suggest Simplicity 9hp 24" ST 2718 ?? for $ 1200. Lighter than the Ariens (not sure if it has traction control.

Can someone please advise which one is best bang for buck.

Snowman, you are the Ariens pro, is the 24 DLE worth that much more than the 24 deluxe or the 27 deluxe? Will Ariens have a sale

In Sept. or October that the Dealers will pass on to customers? I read that some Ariens had problems with the Friction Disk and Baffle plates

has to be installed, and chute control cable freezing. Have these issues been fixed in the 2009 units?

Thanks you all.

gsnow

Replies: 1 - 36 of 36View as Outline
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Re: Ariens 24" Deluxe, 27" deluxe and 924 DLE, Toro 828XLE, SimplicityST2718
Reply #1   Aug 31, 2009 9:53 am
I own a Toro 828 XLE and can say without a doubt it is well worth the money. The steering alone makes mincemeat out of my neighbors snowthrower. He has a smaller driveway but has to spend 1/2 minute at the end of his driveway to get his machine back into position to go back up. Then he spends another 20 seconds of so cranking the chute to face the opposite direction. With about 15 of these turns he spends 15 minutes of his 30 minute just turning. Once you get used to the Toro with its joystick chute control, you can do everything in one smooth motion. My driveway is easily 50% larger than his and I finish mine in the same time he finishes his.

I stayed away from Ariens years ago when I joined this site due to the numerous quality control issues I read on this site. My neighbors bought an Ariens from Home Depot two years ago and ended up borrowing my five year old Toro for the last winter storm as their Ariens wouldn't start (actually I did their driveway because I don't like other people touching my Toro).

That's my 2¢

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
nibbler

Reply #2   Aug 31, 2009 12:26 pm
Ariens models with a DLE have a true differential, that means there is power going to both wheels as you go around a turn but the turn is still easy. The so called "power turn" feature uses one ore two triggers on the handle bars to disengaged one of the wheels. The "power turn" is just the single powered wheel tending to push the unit to the side. The main thing with the power turn is that one of the wheels is disengaged which makes turning in either direction a lot easier. I have not used a true differential machine but it is supposed to be better than the power turn mechanism.

Peronally I think the number one reason for engine problems with seasonal/intermittent use OPE is  stale gas leading to carburettor fouling.
gsnow

Reply #3   Aug 31, 2009 4:24 pm
Thanks snowremover and nibbler. By the way, it's my first snowblower, always used snowplowing service but had to do it myself during storm. 

I saw the Toro 828 XLE at Home Depot - nice machine but may be too big for my garage. I may have to stcik with the 24".

The Craftman has everything I need at the best price, but I am not sure about the reliability, I have read good and bad comments from owners.

The 24" DLE Ariens seems to be the better choice and nibbler has provided a very good explanation of the automatic traction and the wheel lock trigger.

However, the $ 500 extra vs the 24" deluxe is hefty, although over say 10 years it's not too bad.

Can one use the 24" deluxe with one wheel locked and one wheel unlocked all the time, that would solve the problem with mobility, but

I am not sure if plowing heavy snow and EOD will be too hard and keeping the machine straight will be a challenge.

Anyone tried it this way (one wheel free), please share your experience. 

gsnow.

aa335

Reply #4   Aug 31, 2009 11:03 pm
Even though I don't own a Toro two stage, I recommend the Toro 828 XLE that you are considering. While some manufacturers are trying to confuse consumers with myriads of product lines and fancy names and watering down their product, Toro has kept it simple for people to decide. There are four two-stage models, offering various sizes and horsepower.

The Toro 828 XLE may be 2008 model with the Tecumseh L head engine. The 2009 828 OXE model is equipped with a Briggs & Stratton overhead valve engine. Toro makes subtle model name changes which I thought you want to be aware of. Fuel efficiency, lower noise, and lower emission are in favor of the overhead valve engine.

Like SnowRemover said, the Quick Stick and the easy turning capability of the Toro is the "bang for the buck". The Toro is user friendly and build quality is decent.
This message was modified Aug 31, 2009 by aa335
gsnow

Reply #5   Sep 1, 2009 2:06 am
aa335

Thanks for the pointer on the new model. I will do some reading on Toro's  reliability and past problems . Don't know if they have a 24" model.

I read the thread about the 1136DLE problems, frozen cable on Chute deflector, friction disk problem, etc on the Ariens and I am getting worried.

For the amount of money one should not be fixing it in the first year, or be left stranded during a snowstorm. 

Although some posters are very happy with the 24" DLE and the 9526DLE.

Sounds like Honda (lots of dough) has the best relliability, I'll do more research as well.

Simplicity also has satisfied owners, I am not familiar with this brand.

Snowmann

Reply #6   Sep 1, 2009 12:19 pm
&lt;BR&gt;<BR> gsnow wrote:
Snowman, you are the Ariens pro, is the 24 DLE worth that much more than the 24 deluxe or the 27 deluxe? Will Ariens have a sale&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;In Sept. or October that the Dealers will pass on to customers? I read that some Ariens had problems with the Friction Disk and Baffle plates&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;has to be installed, and chute control cable freezing. Have these issues been fixed in the 2009 units?&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;Thanks you all.&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;gsnow&lt;BR&gt;

Gsnow,

The Platinum 24 should promo at $1299. Make sure you get it for that. It is still preseason after all. And yes, it's worth the extra $ if you can afford it. The Auto Traction Control is a feature unmatched by any OEM, plus you get the handwarmers and Quick Turn chute. Perhaps check out the remote locking axle on the 27LE as well? It would be best to go to a dealer and test drive each so you know what you're getting.

2009 models have all the latest features to reduce freeze-up and water infiltration. Updated (2009) freeze resistant cap deflector and chute lock cables, water penetration baffles, freeze resistant impellers. Some, but not all of these features were present last year (or part of last year).

The more recent friction disk slippage issues were prevalent on most brands (see the John Deere 1130 threads on this or the other forum, made by Simplicity). This phenomena is reproduceable on nearly every Briggs equipped snowblower of recent vintage. Their PTO covers have alot of embossments and voids that collect the snow and drain water in the belt drives behind the belt covers (Tecumseh's were near flat). Just this year Briggs flattened these embossments on some specs of 205 and 249cc engines. The transition to Briggs happened rather quickly when Tecumseh departed the market. The haste caused some of these issues.

Many of the problems noted on this forum are legacy designs that haven't been in production for many years. New units would not necessarily exhibit similar problems. Deluxe and Pro units now have an industry-best dual aramid belt auger drive that eliminates belt adjustments and slippage and can trasmit 100% continuous full power. Final drive ratios (for superior wheel torque) have been upgraded (the small 4.34 inch friction disk was dumped from even compact units), super-sturdy gearcases, power transfer shafts, and frames ... the list is too lengthy to detail here, but it's all transitioned in the last 5 years. Also keep in mind Ariens sells more 2 stage snowblowers than Honda, John Deere, Toro, Simplicity, and Snapper combined. There will naturally be more units with issues on these forums even if the percentage of problems (versus quantity built) is lower.

Let me know if you have any further questions.&lt;BR&gt;&lt;BR&gt;
This message was modified Sep 1, 2009 by Snowmann
aa335

Reply #7   Sep 1, 2009 2:09 pm
Gsnow,

Looks like you're off to an early start looking into snowblowers. At this time of the year, the only blower I'm thinking about is a leaf blower.

As you already know, the Honda is a lot of dough, a reputation well established by fans and haters. "Bang for the buck" and Honda don't go hand in hand, unless you are talking about Civics.

With that disclaimer out of the way, Honda has a 24" model, HS724WA, that fits your concerns about a 28" being large for the garage. The HS724 is fairly compact and lightweight. I venture to say that it should be easy to turn without the differential. You do have to crank the chute though.

As snowman said, the slipping friction disk epidemic of 2008 is an easy fix which should be taken care of for new production in 2009.
oakville

Reply #8   Sep 1, 2009 4:06 pm
i have a 2004 26" DLE, and it is awesome - very easy to maneuver.  some slippage on ice but once i pull the locking trigger i'm fine.

the heated handle grips work so well i just wear suede work gloves in the coldest weather.

gsnow

Reply #9   Sep 2, 2009 12:35 am
Thanks snowman for explaining the problems and updating the fixes.  Hope I do not end up with a lemon if I do decide to choose an Ariens.

Can you please comment on the Toro 828 OXE 2009, (build, powermax, no shear pin in auger etc.)  I like the chute control (although it feels plasticky). Their finger locking control is similar to the 27" deluxe Ariens's trigger.

It is a little larger than what I need, but  so many good reviews from owners and on youtube. I am clearing my garage to see how much space I have before choosing the snowblower.

I am in Richmond Hill , Ontario  the dealer price is Cdn $ 1100 for the 24"deluxe, $ 1230 27" deluxe and $ 1,560 for the 924DLE. The DLE is still $ 130 too much using 1.10 cdn to US $1  correct?

Can you please refer me a dealer that will sell it for Cdn $ 1400 Promo in the Greater Toronto Area or Richmond Hill? 

Oakville - thanks, glad to see you are happy with your 9526 DLE, how do you lock the wheel to prevent slipping? I tried to find it at Home Depot but did not see a pin, or lock?

Are you in Oakville Ontario?

aa335 I checked the price on the Honda, it's twice the price of the Ariens 924DLE. !!!

gsnow

aa335

Reply #10   Sep 2, 2009 9:33 am
I heard that Honda prices in Canada is outrageous. The good news is electric chute rotation/deflection, on-board battery starter is available in Canada market, and some of that money goes towards Ministry of Health to provide public health care.

The bad news is that none of what I just said is available in USA. :( Not yet.

Seriously, I would only consider a Honda if need hydrostatic transmission/track drive for steep inclined driveway.
This message was modified Sep 2, 2009 by aa335
oakville

Reply #11   Sep 2, 2009 2:06 pm
gsnow wrote:

Oakville - thanks, glad to see you are happy with your 9526 DLE, how do you lock the wheel to prevent slipping? I tried to find it at Home Depot but did not see a pin, or lock?

Are you in Oakville Ontario?

my 2003/2004 926DLE/pro  (last year for the 9.25hp tecumseh; the 9526 has a 9.5hp briggs i believe) has a trigger on the left handle to engage the differential lock.  i don't believe they ever sold the DLE/pro model at home depot (at least they didn't when i bought my machine).  i bought mine at my local ope dealer - got a decent deal, would have been cheaper to buy from the US, but this thing is 300lbs.

i am in oakville, ontario - and my ariens ate up all that snow from last winter without complaining.  i did slightly bend a shear pin but that was relatively easy to fix. 

duster

Reply #12   Sep 2, 2009 6:03 pm
Good post,gsnow.

Im in the same situation you are,undecided on the Ariens 27 Deluxe and the Toro 826 OE.This is my first purchase for one and want to make a educated decision for best value for my dollar.I was wondering if anyone who has the toro has found the joystick control to be flimsy and feeling like its ready to fall off.I do like the idea the Ariens are all steel.Ive looked a HD but would like information if possible on dealers in the GTA.I live on east side of Oshawa.Both Ariens and Toro are highly regarded ,just looking for some input.Thanks,Duster
goofienewfie

Ariens 1130DLE

Reply #13   Sep 3, 2009 8:41 am
Snowmann wrote:

2009 models have all the latest features to reduce freeze-up and water infiltration. Updated (2009) freeze resistant cap deflector and chute lock cables, water penetration baffles, freeze resistant impellers. Some, but not all of these features were present last year (or part of last year).

I am interested into learning more on this.  I cannot seem to find any information pertaining to this on the ariens website.  I have even looked up the parts radar to see the differences, but couldn't find any.  Can you please provide a link to these parts with images?

Thank You

As for the topic.  I have a 1130DLE  921003.  It throws snow like no tomorrow.  I love the differential, I don't think I would enjoy using the machine without it. 

Pro's.

All metal design including the controls.
Differential
Dual Belt pulley
Hand warmers
Electric start
3 year warranty

Con's

Prone to rust if not carefully looked after.  At least for me in my area (salt used heavily on roads)
Some screws should be bolts which snap off if trying to remove 
Lack of grease in certain area's by my ope dealer setup
Cables do freeze up (not mine since I did little mod, but it doesn't look nice)

Thats all I can think of for now.  I should say that I am really happy with my machine and its going into its third winter this year.   It still looks and works like new.  The con's have all been fixed by myself so they are no more.  But they are noted for reference since it would be a problem if I didn't have the tools or ability to do what I did.  Out of the box there are things that should be done that are not and hopefully Arien's adresses them. Last year I forwarded a long winded e-mail to them with no reply, but I hope they read it and looked into the area's for improvement.  If the cables are indeed freeze proof now that is one big step in the right direction as that was one of the bigger annoyances with their cable setup and many other manufactures as well.  Oh one more thing, the reverse is slow like many machines. Like to see it faster, but for safety reasons I bet I never will..  I am not to worried, when warranty expires this year, I will fix that too ;)

Cheers
Goofie Newfie
gsnow

Reply #14   Sep 3, 2009 11:19 am
Thank you all for your comments.

Are there any unhappy Toro 828 XLE/OXE out there, or any problems with the unit?

aa335 -

No I do not have incline, so no need for Trac .

Health services is OK in Canada but hard to find a Doctor especially for female patients, surgery or MRI wait is 6 months, not enough facility for Paliative care,

had to watch a close family member suffer through his final month at his home. Wonder what will happen when all the Baby boomers need hospital.

Some people are paying for their own treatment in the US, cannot do so in Ontario.

Oakville -

Sounds like you got a good unit and did not have the freezing and friction disc slipping issues where the auger will not turn.

Duster-

It is hard to make a final decision, I tried to do a search for Toro problems or unhappy owner found maybe one with disc friction slipping, all others are happy owners.

Watch the youtubes videos . Snowblower above attests to that he is very happy.

Looks like the most worry-free midprice unit, but may not be as strong as the Ariens in parts, duild and components but if they don not break it does not matter.

The LE in both Toro and Ariens (no remote wheel lock control) are hard to turn on dry pavement, if you are strong that's OK. I tried both in the stores.

goofienewfie- 

Unfortunately, I am not that handy and not a tool person,  I own a battery operated lawnmower, guess now I have to learn.

Too bad you had to do all that work to fix the problems. No response to email Eh! That's not what I read about Ariens' customer service.

You should have snowman give you the parts for the fix, if still under warranty it should be fixed for you. New cable, baffle etc.

Snowman-

Please get back to us re. dealer in Richmond Hill and also Toro's build and components (their problems if you are aware).

SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #15   Sep 3, 2009 11:51 am
gsnow wrote:
Can you please comment on the Toro 828 OXE 2009, (build, powermax, no shear pin in auger etc.)
I totally forgot about the lack of a shearpin - what a great feature (or non feature). I'm not sure if its patented by Toro, but I would strongly argue that if you work for a shearpin manufacturer, you better start looking for another job.

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
Snowmann

Reply #16   Sep 3, 2009 10:58 pm
Oakville, your Pro machine must be a 2005 or 2006 as those are the only years that had the planetary differential with the remote lock trigger. It was replaced in 2007 with the Automatic Traction Control and was preceded by the planetary differential with the axle mounted lockout.

Gsnow, The Toro PowerMax is a solid machine. I believe they had a few early problems with some TSB's on the plastic and one on the drive, but the latest models are likely long resolved. Having driven this unit side by side with many other brands, I would comment that the volumetric capacity seems a little low. It seemed to "plow" before other brands'. The gearcase is nice. 4 lead worm, steel helical gear, 1/4" casting wall. The Ariens XS aluminum gearcase is similar except it has a true worm tooth profile on the gear for lower localized tooth stress and a hunting tooth feature for long term durability. You could do without shear bolts on either as both will probably stall the engine before any damage occurs (I know the Ariens will do this). Still, if it's my machine, I'm not going to hammer the gear case with grade 5 or 8 bolts and worry about the replacement bill when the warranty is expired. Shear pins are always a good idea and are there to protect and prolong the life of the gear box.

You could put up an argument for an Ariens Deluxe or Toro Power Max being the better machine. The balance could tip in either direction depending on what your preferences were, but the Toro 828 OXE is ~over $500 US  (50% more) than the comparable 27LE Deluxe. The Toro pricing is just pitiful. If you even out price, the Ariens is clearly the better machine. You could get a ST24DLE Platinum or ST30LE with a Subaru SX30 OHC for less $.

Lastly, I'm not clear why, but the exchange rate doesn't work out when comparing US to Canadian prices. I think there are some additional tarriffs that are probably based on selling prices for units sold in Canada. I'm guessing the tarriff rate is based on price because the Sno-Tek models don't appear to be marked up as much as the more expensive Ariens models. That said, the prices you have been quoted may be the best you can do. I also can't be much help for recommending dealers. I'm not familiar with your area. Shop around as much as you can for the best deal. Just keep in mind you don't want to drive 200 miles for service if you need the dealer to help you out. Some are less than helpful if you didn't buy the machine from them. It might be worth $50 or more to stay close to home. The (Canada for you) Home Depot price should be achievable from a dealer with a preseason sale, so shoot for that.

Duster, the Toro 826 OE has a pin-lock axle while the Ariens 27LE has the remote locking axle. Make sure you can live with the pin-lock before pursuing the 826LE. Larger machines like these can be difficult to turn. Make sure you're up to it.

Goofienewfie, PM me and I'll get you part numbers and details.
Snowmann

Reply #17   Sep 3, 2009 11:19 pm
Gsnow, I just noticed you're referring to the Toro 828LXE not the OXE and you said the price is a "little more" than the Ariens 24DLE Platinum. The dealer must be cutting you a break on an older model with the Tecumseh 318cc L-head. Not a bad engine. Loud and vibrates alot though. Even with Tecumseh out of the snow engine business you should have no problems getting typical service parts (carb kits, etc) if needed. This engine is very mature and ironed-out so to speak. Good snow engine.

The Platinum 24DLE 921017 has everything the 27LE 921012 has with this addition of the handwarmers, quick turn chute, remote cap deflector, and Automatic Traction Control. The Ariens version of the Briggs 249cc engine also has a forged crank and ball bearing journals (which you won't find on the Toro spec Briggs 249cc engines on the 828 OXE).

I hope this helps.
gsnow

Reply #18   Sep 3, 2009 11:51 pm
Thanks snowman for responding. This forum is awesome, I am learning so much.

I went back to home depot today and was helping 2 customers on the features of the Airens vs Toro, Sno-Tek, Club Cadet, and MTD pointing out they are not all

B&S engines etc. The sales lady was telling them the Ariens are made in China, I told her to confrim the facts, because I thought they are made in USA..

I sounded more like an Ariens salesman, they only had the Toro 826 LE in 2 stage not the 828 OXE. The 24 Deluxe LE feels heavier than the Toro 826 LE, strangely it also feels heavier than the 27 Deluxe LE , maybe more compact with the same components ? Is the subaru SX30 OHC a premium engine vs the B&S 249 cc?

The prices I quoted are cheaper than Home Depot Canada.

Yes I do realize the Toros are more expensive compared to Ariens, but since they have had less problems posted on the forums I thought that's the premium  for peace of mind. Also more Toro dealers near me.  If the problems for Ariens have been fixed, then the 24 DLE is a better buy.  I am not as handy and knowledgeable as goofienewfie.

Duster, if you are interested in the Ariens, the best prices so far is W.E. Enterprises out of Mississauga, you can google it. If you find it cheaper somewhere

else please let me know.

Thank you all guys for your help. I'll post more if I have any question.

Snowmann

Reply #19   Sep 4, 2009 6:50 pm
gsnow wrote:
Thanks snowman for responding. This forum is awesome, I am learning so much.

I went back to home depot today and was helping 2 customers on the features of the Airens vs Toro, Sno-Tek, Club Cadet, and MTD pointing out they are not all

B&S engines etc. The sales lady was telling them the Ariens are made in China, I told her to confrim the facts, because I thought they are made in USA..

I sounded more like an Ariens salesman, they only had the Toro 826 LE in 2 stage not the 828 OXE. The 24 Deluxe LE feels heavier than the Toro 826 LE, strangely it also feels heavier than the 27 Deluxe LE , maybe more compact with the same components ? Is the subaru SX30 OHC a premium engine vs the B&S 249 cc?

The prices I quoted are cheaper than Home Depot Canada.

Yes I do realize the Toros are more expensive compared to Ariens, but since they have had less problems posted on the forums I thought that's the premium  for peace of mind. Also more Toro dealers near me.  If the problems for Ariens have been fixed, then the 24 DLE is a better buy.  I am not as handy and knowledgeable as goofienewfie.

Duster, if you are interested in the Ariens, the best prices so far is W.E. Enterprises out of Mississauga, you can google it. If you find it cheaper somewhere

else please let me know.

Thank you all guys for your help. I'll post more if I have any question.

Ariens made in China? Nope.... All Ariens Snothros are made in Brillion, WI., USA (including the Sno-Teks). If she was referring to some of the engines, then this could be the case. The only snow engines available that are not made in China are the Briggs 305cc and 342cc (USA) and the Subaru SX21 and SX30 (Japan). Honda GX might be Japan as well, not sure.

The Subaru SX Snow Power OHC's are a more of a higher-end engine option than both the Honda and Briggs. They are available only from Ariens on models 920010 (ST24E Compact), 921019 (ST24E Deluxe), and 921020 (ST30LE Deluxe).
duster

Reply #20   Sep 4, 2009 10:46 pm
Thanks for everyones input.

gsnow-I contacted the dealer in Mississauga you mentioned,sound like very good people and better prices than HD.They deal Toro but recommended the Ariens over them due to the fact they do not use plastic like the Toros.Well that narrows it down for me,it will be a Ariens,just gotta decide which model.I pretty much have the same area as you have to clear.Thanks for your recommendation to the dealer.Good luck in your search for a machine.
gsnow

Reply #21   Sep 5, 2009 1:40 am
Snowman thanks a lot for your input, if I get the Ariens I'll stay with the Briggs.

Duster I called W.E today as well and his prices have gone up $30 -$50 from last month and he will not budge. I was still researching in August. He claims he sold 400 units last year.

I called a few more places and found a place nearer me, it's Joy Equipment in Woodbridge, this place is now cheaper than W.E. 's new price.

He does not have any stock yet.

Good luck.

joed

Reply #22   Sep 5, 2009 6:38 pm
GS

I went through the same debate as you are a few weeks ago.  I had to decide between the Ariens Deluxe Platinum 24 or the Toro 826.  I liked the toro.  It felt lighter than the Ariens even though the weights are about the same (222 vs 224).  I was told that the toro only works with both wheels locked.  This makes it tough and tiring to turn.  On top of that, I have a small section of my rear patio that's only 30" wide.  The 826, at 28" wide would have been tough to get through.  So, I opted for the deluxe platinum 24.  Paid $1560.  Toro was $1499.  So, for $60 more, I got the handwarmers and most importantly, automatic traction control.  Along with the remote chute control, I think I got a good deal.  We'll see as the machine will get here in late September/early October.
gsnow

Reply #23   Sep 6, 2009 10:26 am
Joed thanks for sharing your decision. Yes the Toros are lighter (easier to maneuvre) even without remote wheel lock.

The 24DLE is a better value than the 826LE if it holds up well in quality and reliability. If Ariens has fixed all the issues and no new ones crops up

as Snowman states then it would be a great unit.

Having said that Toro owners are mostly happy and reported little problems.

So you got the unit from w.E. in Aug. his Sept price is higher.

Good luck.

Gsnow

goofienewfie

Ariens 1130DLE

Reply #24   Sep 12, 2009 1:38 am
gsnow wrote:

I wouldn't consider myself knowledgeable if it wasn't for forums like this.  I have learned a lot about these machines since I purchased one.  This is my first snow blower and it was bought based on research and recommendations from the internet.  I made sure to look at all possible machines and really sized up everything best I could.  But like everything, there are things you will later see that you  wish were different, but it is what it is.  Many of the things I did to my thrower would not need to be done by you for possibly three years.  My local Arien's OPE store, offered 3 year summarized service.  This is where they change the oil, grease up the necessary sections, etc..  The thing with my dealer is that you have to pay for it to be picked up and brought back and I do not have a pickup.  I could ask friends with trucks, but I would have to get them to wait or possibly go back to get it.  So I opted to learn what summarized was and do it myself.  This way I get to know the machine and when the three years is up I won't have to pay somebody to do that for me.  Along the way I noticed that things were rusting and seizing up quite fast in places that I didn't want to see it. So I decided to go an extra mile and take care of things that may need to be repaired in the future.  I don’t think the summarized service would go as far I did though and  I do wonder how it would have faired if I didn’t do something’s myself.

But in all honesty, with the three year warranty and hopefully same in summarized service I think these Arien's snow throwers will serve you well.  As for beyond that time, it comes down to maintenance.  I am a person that hopes to see my machine go 20+ years like I have seen many times in these forums. so I have done a few things that may help make things easier to maintain so that I can reach that goal.

I have not looked much at other throwers or blowers since.  But a quick glance at a few of this year products  and I am surprised to see that it appears as if prices have increased in my area.  When I purchased mine it came with hand warmers and differential and it was called the deluxe.  Now the equivalent seems to be the platinum?  I purchased mine 1130DLE for $2100 tax in with delivery and summarized service.  I believe the OPE was almost a few hundred more then from home depot at the time, but due to stock issues, service questions,  parts availability, unsure delivery time, sale price closing and no summarized service I went with my local OPE.   Now the Platinum is 2159 + tax at home depot,  with the taxes in my area that ends up being $340 more. 

I am not sure if it’s in this post or not, but I also seen borat posting about look into older stock for 2008 simplicity models.  So that means changes at simplicity too.   I was interested into the Toro as well and they have a good name, but the local ope dealer did not in my case. Plus for the money I got more on the Arien's, which were listed into my Pro's before.

I think it comes down to researching each machine and the companies that sell/support them.  With the right care either of these brand names have good lasting reputation in the past, Preference may always lead towards brands people own themselves.  Download product manuals see what things are required of each and how do you go about doing it.  Look at the features, warranty, price and service in your area.  Look at parts such as the gear case and augers/impellers for robustness.  Look at how to chute and deflector move and control think about how water would penetrate it.  Most machines with cables have freezing problems..   A excerpt from the Toro manual

"Preventing Freeze-up

• In snowy and cold conditions, some controls and
moving parts may freeze. Do not use excessive
force when trying to operate frozen controls. If
you have difficulty operating any control or part,
start the engine and let it run for a few minutes.

• After using the snowthrower, let the engine run for a
few minutes to prevent moving parts from freezing."

Excited to here new parts may be available to stop this on the Arien's.   Any how, after doing some looking I am sure you will come up with the best solution, I think you are already on the right path with choosing forums for help..   I found the parts manuals to be great reference when looking into the build quality inside the machine..   Arien’s has a great parts radar tool.  I have found similar tools for Toro and simplicity on the web as well.

I think once you pick a machine you might just get sucked into this ope world, maybe pick up a wrench or two ;) Nice machines like the Arien's has the ability to do that to some.. hahaha

The differential is really nice, I wouldn't worry about the size of the bucket, smaller bucket with same engine is nice. Yes you may have to make a few extra passes, but you will have enjoyed the passes more.  The bigger the bucket and they can get awkward/heavy even with differential.   I think a 24 inch platinum machine would be really nice machine, but if you end of driveway gets plowed in crazy, then you may want more..  Depends on your snow falls amount.   I would love to try my 11hp on a 24" bucket with differential; I think that would be deadly machine to operate. 

Good luck with it all.
Cheers GoofieNewfie

Cheers
Goofie Newfie
ntadjs7

Reply #25   Oct 7, 2009 10:52 am
I purchased the 924DLE last year. It is a horrible machine with chute controls that barely function. Very loud, hard to start and leaves that nice quarter inch of snow on the drive that ices up later. Would never consider it again. I get sick to my stomach thinking about it because I know with winter coming I will have to deal with it all over again. Buy the Toro.
This message was modified Oct 7, 2009 by ntadjs7
gsnow

Reply #26   Oct 7, 2009 3:28 pm
ntadjs7 wrote:
I purchased the 924DLE last year. It is a horrible machine with chute controls that barely function. Very loud, hard to start and leaves that nice quarter inch of snow on the drive that ices up later. Would never consider it again. I get sick to my stomach thinking about it because I know with winter coming I will have to deal with it all over again. Buy the Toro.

Hello ntadjs7,

Where are you located? Is it not under warranty still ?  You should get the control fixed, as snowman stated they have fixed the problem this year.

Was the Toro your other choice?

Anyone else have same problem plus loud, hard to start, leaves 1/4 inch snow on the ground?

gogreen

Reply #27   Nov 7, 2009 2:42 am
ntadjs7 wrote:

Yeah, I definitely choose Toro. It's worth.
-------------------------------------------
echo backpack blower
RuhiA

Reply #28   Nov 10, 2009 12:06 pm
SnowRemover wrote:
I totally forgot about the lack of a shearpin - what a great feature (or non feature). I'm not sure if its patented by Toro, but I would strongly argue that if you work for a shearpin manufacturer, you better start looking for another job.

Just joined to add my two cents worth... Great forum.

Toro 828OXE DOES have shear-pins, one on each side. You can see on the picture here as well; http://www.toro.com/home/images/t_co_sn_impellerHous_lg.jpg

I've been narrowing my choices down to  in between 24" DLE and 828 OXE as well after considering Craftsman, Snapper, JD and few others including Honda. In my particualr case I need to be able to throw snow about 40ft ahead of me to clear the house on my left unless I'd throw the snow on the adjacent neighbor's driveway . I am hoping that I won't be disappinted with the choice. It appeared to me that Toro 828 will just do that if not barely. Also, I looked for an easy to operate without the need to muscle it around. I found the Toro to be very well balanced fron to back at least without snow being jammed in the auger. It easy to lift the front up as needed. disengaging the either wheel or both to make the turns to make adjustments to the path while on the snow and move it around makes the Toro favorable and more sensible due to the simplicity of the mechanism they used to accomplish it instead of "traction controls" etc complexity. My wife was easily moving it aroun dwhen we tried it as compared Toro and Arens side by side. It's a plus because she has now no excuse not to use it. I definetly liked the shute controls of the Toro over anything else I've seen so far. I't quick, simple and doesn't seem to have anything to go wrong with it easily. I have to add though I am a first time buyer of a snow blower. I also liked the metal side supports on the Toro making the auger enclosure pretty rigid compared to Ariens. Chute being "plastic" doesn't make it inferior to Ariens in my opinion. Depending on what kind of polymer they used to make the part, it may be an issue in extreme cold environments but at least not where I am (NJ). Running into it with your SUV doesn't count as a failure criteria; just don't run into it reagrdless it is steel or polymer. I am definetly sold on the "diverter" of the impelled snow in case the chute is jam packed. Remains to be seen if it works but I like the concept. Hand warmers? I don't see the point of having one for consumer use purposes but pros may think different of course. Besides, if you must have warmers, you can get a kit for $50 (motorcycle grips) and power it from the light ( I presume it is 12V already). At the end, my choice is Toro 828 OXE. I don't see the need for 1028 or 1128 with slightly more powerfull engines. The price difference in my local is $100 and $300 more compared to 828, respcetively.

Let me also share my shoping experience... Last Spring I bought a Honda walk-behind mower from Northern Tools and Eq. in cedar Groove , NJ. (I am including the name for completeness - I believe in consumer's power with their choice of taking their business wherever they want) I made few visits there to get the mower and paid a little more than otherwise I could somewhere else for the time they spent with me and the convenience of the location to my local. Naturally, they were my first stop for the blower too. First time around, they didn't have any and they told me they'd call when the shipment arrives (they had my number). They didn't call so I stopped by again on the way back from work last week. They had a few on display although not sure if mor ethan what they had earlier. I was given the details, some info not accurate but still volueentered no issues. They had an LXE with a price tag of $1799 - ON SALE! Since I knew that's the one I was going to get, I asked for the OXE with the B&G motor and the price for it mentioning $1799 seemed too steep for the last year's model. He flipped and accused me of wasting his time. He could instead attend other waiting customers, etc. there were none by the way.  I reminded him that I WAS a customer too. If they woudl negotiate they would not be in the business fro me to walk in to talk to someone to learn what I learned. I gave him credit for being patient with me and thanked him for his time but I didn't appreciate him accusing me of wasting his time. I apoligized for wasting his time and as I walked away said that he'll never see me ever again. I went out and bought the 828 OXE ($1590) the following Saturday, delivered to my home. Not only that, they spent more time with me and my wife as much as we needed. Also, was able to check out and try other equipment that we'll buy eventually. no pressure...

Now, I am hoping that we'll get yards and yards of snow this year.
Ruhi
This message was modified Nov 10, 2009 by RuhiA
snowgo

Reply #29   Nov 18, 2009 11:57 pm
I've said it before and I'll say it again ... it sure is confusing deciding on which snow blower to buy. I've read posts claiming don't buy Toro, don't buy Ariens, don't buy Craftsman, etc., etc., etc.. Very confusing trying to sort through everything and remember whose posts seem credible and whose don't.

I'm posting in this thread because my driveway is similar in size to what the original poster's is (gsnow). Being on a fairly large corner lot, I probably have between 150' and 200' of sidewalk to clear. The driveway itself is about 25' wide by 50' long. I need to blow the snow all in one direction though (across the 25' width) due to an alley being along one side of the driveway.

My latest and greatest conclusion has been that the automatic traction control on the Ariens Deluxe Platinum models would be the way to go ... thinking that it would make things easier as there would be no cables to mess with every time I wanted to turn. I also like how tall the Ariens chutes are compared to the others, as I have to clear 4' tall hedges bordering the far edge of the driveway. If I go that route, there are only 2 choices ... the 24" bucket or the 30" bucket with larger engine. The 24" would be easier to manage, but the 30" would have more power. I guess I'm trying to figure out if the engine size of the 24" machine (249cc) would be adequate power for my driveway size or if the 30" (342cc) would be overkill.

If the 24" isn't powerful enough and the 30" is too powerful (or too $#%*bersome to move around), then I might reconsider buying the L1428E Simplicity, which I think has an engine size between the 2 Ariens models I'm considering. Although then I have to be concerned with the electric chute controls handling the icy conditions.

I guess that's confusing enough for 1 post, eh? Any thoughts?
This message was modified Nov 19, 2009 by snowgo
aa335

Reply #30   Nov 19, 2009 1:02 am
Snowgo,

I think you have enough information to make a wise decision based on your needs, wants, and pocket book.  I suggest spending some time looking and trying out each one of those machines in person.  Form your own opinions.  Everyone here has their own opinions of brands and features, but you're ultimately the one paying for the snowblower.  Get the one you want.

With that said, I'll inject my own opinion for giggles.  I have a corner lot similar to yours.  I'd go with a 8-10 HP, 28 inch bucket, best balance of power and maneuverability.   (HS928, *wink*)
snowgo

Reply #31   Nov 19, 2009 9:32 am
aa335 wrote:
Snowgo,

I think you have enough information to make a wise decision based on your needs, wants, and pocket book.  I suggest spending some time looking and trying out each one of those machines in person.  Form your own opinions.  Everyone here has their own opinions of brands and features, but you're ultimately the one paying for the snowblower.  Get the one you want.

With that said, I'll inject my own opinion for giggles.  I have a corner lot similar to yours.  I'd go with a 8-10 HP, 28 inch bucket, best balance of power and maneuverability.   (HS928, *wink*)

:-) ... (grrrrr)
aa335

Reply #32   Nov 19, 2009 1:41 pm
"That's what she said." 

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'll add another shameless plug for the HS928.  It has a powerful engine, 9HP.  It can never be too powerful, it has throttle control.  Bucket size is 28 inch.  Axle is solid from left to right wheel, no differential to benefit from or to worry about breaking.  Chute rotation is a worm gear and crank, and deflection cable actuated.  It is all manual, no electrics.    Again, no benefit, no worries about failures.  The chute design is what Ariens and Simplicity tries to emulate, allows tight stream for accurate placement of snow discharge.  So far, it is one of two brands of snowblower that has hydrostatic transmission.  Both of these brands start with the letter H.

Negatives? 
Price.  Get one now because the price will go up next year.  Guaranteed.  Even used ones command high price and hard to come by.
Price.  Everyone hates their high price.  Except the manufacturer.
Price.  Everyone thinks you're nuts for paying that much to a company that also makes cars, motorcycles, weed wackers, and lawnmowers.
Features.  It doesn't have convenience features of Toro, or as much black space age polymer.  *wink*
Involvement.  Yes,  you do have to work it.  It ain't going to do it all by itself.  Except...I ain't going to there.. unless you want to pony up a few more Benjamins or put up your car as collateral.

Positive? 
The design has been locked down the last 5 years.  You won't feel cheated when next year model comes with something better.  You don't feel stupid that you didn't buy last year's model because they built it cheaper this year.
It already comes with the most powerful, advanced, and proven reliable engines from the manufacturer.
You won't see the same snowblower with a different branding or paint.  In other words, you can't get it painted in green and yellow.  However, you won't need to pay extra for green paint and outsourcing.
Clean design.  Tidy cable management.
No fancy acronyms or confusing product segments.

This message was modified Nov 19, 2009 by aa335
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #33   Feb 2, 2010 11:21 am
SnowRemover wrote:

RuhiA wrote:
Just joined to add my two cents worth... Great forum.<BR><BR>Toro 828OXE DOES have shear-pins, one on each side. You can see on the picture here as well;

Hate to come late to the party, but just in case someone is reading this forum I'd like to restate that the OP is looking at the Toro 828XLE which does NOT have shearpins. At least twice a year my neighbors will be at the bottom of their driveway (where the plow seems to drop off large boulders that have come from another town) and back in the garage to get another shearpin. They stock up on them now.

--Friedrich Nietzsche
aa335

Reply #34   Feb 2, 2010 3:40 pm
SnowRemover wrote:
Hate to come late to the party, but just in case someone is reading this forum I'd like to restate that the OP is looking at the Toro 828XLE which does NOT have shearpins. At least twice a year my neighbors will be at the bottom of their driveway (where the plow seems to drop off large boulders that have come from another town) and back in the garage to get another shearpin. They stock up on them now.

I'm late to the party too and still hung over from the last party so bear with me.

I'm unclear what you want to say.  Are you advocating looking for snowblowers with or without shear pins?
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #35   Feb 2, 2010 6:34 pm
aa335 wrote:
I'm late to the party too and still hung over from the last party so bear with me.

I'm unclear what you want to say.  Are you advocating looking for snowblowers with or without shear pins?

Did you not read  SNOWREMOVER  signature,
--Friedrich Nietzsche

aa335

Reply #36   Feb 2, 2010 11:49 pm
hirschallan wrote:
Did you not read  SNOWREMOVER  signature,
--Friedrich Nietzsche

Now it makes perfect sense. 
Replies: 1 - 36 of 36View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42