Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Recoil Locking Up

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Dougfur

Recoil Locking Up
Original Message   Jan 22, 2010 10:37 am
I have a Toro two -stage, 1978 vintage. It was originally a 5/24, 31625. This fall I had it repowered with a rebuilt Briggs 8Hp

Initially, it ran great. now I'm having a problem with it stalling and the recoil locks up. I'm thinking that the recoil locking is causing the stalling

I go to restart it manually, and it takes 3-4 heavy pulls to get the recoil to release. Once it does, it starts and runs fine

Suggestions as to what the problem is? no other problems other than this

thanks

Doug

Replies: 5 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Dougfur

Re: Recoil Locking Up
Reply #5   Jan 22, 2010 2:20 pm
It happens after it's run for awhile. The fellow who rebuilt it is a retired machinist who rebuilds rotary engines for a side business.

So,I'd assume the tolerances are good and he knows what he's doing. It's got dino oil in it now, I will try the synthetic-any recommendations?

borat

Reply #6   Jan 22, 2010 3:31 pm
Dougfur wrote:
It happens after it's run for awhile. The fellow who rebuilt it is a retired machinist who rebuilds rotary engines for a side business.

So,I'd assume the tolerances are good and he knows what he's doing. It's got dino oil in it now, I will try the synthetic-any recommendations?

Sounds like a seizure problem. Assuming the tolerances are good, isn't going to make the problem go away. You can try the synthetic oil to see if it helps but, if condition continues, you had better open up the engine to see if you have cylinder scoring and possible friction melting on the piston. Either way, if it isn't attended to, the engine won't have much of a future.
niper99

Reply #7   Jan 22, 2010 3:57 pm
most common mistakes made from rebuilding is the piston rings being the correct size, does it do it within the first 5 mins of running?. as borat mentioned the piston or rings will expand while running causing it to seize, but in my expereince the engine will quit within a few minutes of running, let sit for 5 or 10 min then will restart. when it stops running u could try taking the starter off quickly and turn the motor over by hand or with a tool, take the spark plug out when u do this the engine should turn over easy. if not l would say u have a big problem.
Replies: 5 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42