Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Craftsman 1350 Series - Leaking something yellow under the front

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
thorn

Craftsman 1350 Series - Leaking something yellow under the front
Original Message   Dec 11, 2009 10:19 pm
I just used my 1350 for the first time (bought used about a month ago, but only a year old)... 944.527394 (well the model doesn't show up, but that's the right number - it's a 27 inch OHV B&S 1350 series 305 cc machine) It snowed about 5 inches of snow a couple of days ago and of course I had to deal with the snowplow "droppings" at the end of the driveway. It went through it all pretty good. Good shooting of the snow and no problems with things when I was blowing the snow. I come out to the garage the next morning and I thought 5 or 6 dogs took a leak on my garage door from the pool of yellow liquid I saw. I open up the garage door and see this pool of yellow liquid under the front of the blower and going out and under the garage door. Question, would this be the auger gear oil? It says it takes Ronex ED #1 (Extra Duty) and I think it is yellow in colour, but wow that just baffles me as to how much was there. After that there seemed to be some light green liquid there too. Maybe the other guy coated it with something, but I'm afraid to start the blower for fear of destroying the auger casing. No gas smell and the oil level is perfect at the fill level... Before I start taking things apart, I'd appreciate some input as to what this likely is and what I need to do (new auger gearcase maybe, new auger gasket,) Also good place to get parts in Canada? I see that these are Husky machines, but not sure if Craftsman parts are cheaper than Husky or not. good info in these threads so hoping borat or snowmachine can chime in http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/32378-A-1.html http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/33989-0-1.html Cheers
Replies: 10 - 19 of 59Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
steverons

Re: Craftsman 1350 Series - Leaking something yellow under the front
Reply #10   Jan 4, 2010 2:15 pm
Who the heck filed down those augers?
snowmachine

Reply #11   Jan 4, 2010 7:37 pm
The plastic bushings on these units leave a lot to be desired. It may be the nature of the beast. I had a lot of slop too but it seems to have been mitigated by installing the Husky auger bearings on it. I know... I asked here and it was recommended against but I liked to tweak and tinker so went ahead with the mod. If it had some kind of auger support bracket that would probably help as well. I'll take a video of unit next time I use it so everyone has a base of reference for some slop in these units. Bushing http://picasaweb.google.com/audreyappliance/2008Craftsman145TorqueRatingSnowThrower#5274156118299089682 Bearing http://picasaweb.google.com/audreyappliance/2008Craftsman145TorqueRatingSnowThrower#5418162337376099938

This message was modified Jan 8, 2010 by snowmachine
thorn

Reply #12   Jan 5, 2010 12:23 am
I seriously have 1/2 inch play at the grey gearbox assy... If snowmachine had the same play then I'm ok with that. It is really sloppy for sure after all bearings were replaced and I can't see it being that great for it to not affect the worm gears or something in the gearbox assy...I might pick up those husky bearings. thanks for the info...it also has a 1/4 inch play side to side with the gear box assy. So I can move it up and down 1/2" and from side to side 1/4" along the auger shaft/hub... I put in low temp grease and so no leaks that I can see and I've run it about three times on a standard 25' long double car driveway... As I mentioned before I went into Sears to take a look at a brand new machine and they did not even budge. Yeah no idea why my machine model does not show up, but Sears Canada can find it without any problems :) Ok I can take the thing apart again. Pretty easy once you've done it. So it was the shear pins that I needed to take off...sigh... well that's not so bad... The manual is what snowmachine had from an earlier link...and like he said it is relevant even though not a Craftsman manual, they are the same machines except mine is a 13.5 305cc. Re: Craftsman 14.5 Torque Rating Snow Thrower, Model 917.881063 Reply #56 Dec 31, 2008 11:29 am Quote Service manual can be downloaded from here: http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Husqvarna_Service_Repair_Manuals/W0302001.pdf It says Electrolux but it is still relevant. Electrolux used to be the parent company of Husqvarna IIRC. Service manual stuff starts at about page 23 No idea what you meant about my augers being filed down :)
snowmachine

Reply #13   Jan 5, 2010 6:49 am
Here are parts I used for bearing conversion

Bearing- http://www.m-and-d.com/AY-411833.html

Retainer - http://www.m-and-d.com/AY-188170.html

I don't think side to side will be totally eliminated unless the latest Husky bearing model were used in third link below.

Here is stock bushing setup:

Here is bearing setup that Husky used last year. 

Here is bearing setup that Husky is using this year:

I would have had to drill holes for the extra shear pins if I had gone current year. I also don't think the flat side of bearing shaft would have extended that far into the auger with my model.

This message was modified Jan 8, 2010 by snowmachine
trouts2

Reply #14   Jan 5, 2010 8:30 am
steverons reference of being filed refered to the outer edges of the rake teeth being shorter than a new rake.  They seemed to be filed down.

If skids are set too high or worn out the rakes can hit the ground and grind down the rake ends.  If a driveway has many hills or moguls then the rakes will touch when the skids are in a trough.  That puts a lot of wear on the auger support bearings and gearbox parts. 

Run your fingers on the sides of the blade by the forward edge.  If scraping the edge will push out metal at 90 degrees making a very sharp edge lip you can slice your finger on.   May be the prior owner ran the skids down or had the skids too high.  Check the bottom edge of the bucket.  If the skids are too high that will cause wear there also.  I've seen buckets worn 1/2 inch off the bottom.

borat

Reply #15   Jan 5, 2010 9:46 am
you would think that the wear on the augers would also involve wear on the scraper but the scraper looks new. Unless it is new. Someone had mentioned in a previous post that it might be wise to put a support bracket from the gear case to the upper intake housing, similar to what Simplicity has. That might help reduce the flex in the auger/gear case assembly.
trouts2

Reply #16   Jan 5, 2010 9:49 am

Thorn:

If you installed the bearing below then it should mate closely with the auger shaft and have very little play or slop.  It’s got two mounting screws so could have some play but should be minimal.  Between the two the amount of slop might be a 64th or 32nd but no half inch i.e. enough to let whole shaft and gearbox move ½ inch with two new bearings installed. 

Something is up.  Either you ordered the wrong bearing, they sent the wrong bearing, the drawing calls out the wrong bearing.

OR: since snowmachine had a similar problem it may be a design problem.  It’s also possible that things got mixed up in manufacturing and the build guys or documentation guys got something mixed up.  Whatever happened no one designs a rake shaft with that much slop.  That’s the ½ in slop.

It’s the same for the ¼ inch slop in the side to side direction.  I assume the shaft moves as a unit i.e. the searbox is not moving with the shaft not  moving.  That the gearbox and the shaft move together ¼ inch side to side.  If that’s right then there’s too much play there.  Again the bearing is not right.  It could be the shaft is too short and thin allowing the slop but that’s too hard to believe.

The resolve would be to get the right parts by going over this with the factory.  Sears won’t help much.  If you end up with you have all the “right” parts, that is parts that they say are correct and still have the slop then I’d go for snowmachine’s mods.  He's got a ballbearing and obviously a better match.  Using the machine as is will only lead to premature failure. 

There should be no mystery here.  The slop should be visible and it’s probably because the support bearing is oversized.  It should be tight.  If it was tight and mounts securely then you can’t have slop.  They have to be the wrong bearings for whatever reason.
This message was modified Jan 5, 2010 by trouts2
snowmachine

Reply #17   Jan 5, 2010 5:32 pm
trouts2 wrote:

Thorn:

It could be the shaft is too short and thin allowing the slop but that’s too hard to believe.  They have to be the wrong bearings for whatever reason.

I think the rake shafts are too short on this unit. I noticed when I swapped mine it seemed like rake shaft maybe resided 2/3 of the way into each bushing on each side. I would think it should be very close to the end of the bushing wall? The bearings I installed support it much better.
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #18   Jan 5, 2010 7:12 pm
This message was modified Jan 5, 2010 by Knee_Biter

Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #19   Jan 5, 2010 7:12 pm
after you repair it I would make a brace mabye an L bracket.  Honda had a big problem back several years back becuase they had no brace and they had a lot of broken auger shafts.  They came out with a fix , replacing the auger gearbox and added a brace.  now the last several years all Honda's come with it..

This message was modified Jan 5, 2010 by Knee_Biter

Replies: 10 - 19 of 59Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42