Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
joed

Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?
Original Message   Dec 24, 2009 9:23 am
I was at a local Honda dealer yesterday and I was stunned by the prices on their snowblowers. In Canadian dollars, they were: 928 wheels: $3000 928 track: $3400 724 track: $3400 1132 track: $3500 I know they have tracks, hydro tranny, honda engines, etc. but they're at least $1000-1500 more than equivalent toro and ariens models. Is it gold, they re making?
Replies: 86 - 95 of 221Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
opecrazy

Re: Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?
Reply #86   Dec 29, 2009 1:24 pm
MTD still makes a track blower.  It is under the Troy-Bilt name at any local Lowes Home Improvement store.  What ever you do Steve, don't get an MTD.  It sucks, especially in slush.  If the Toro couldn't throw your slush then the MTD will not throw anything in your conditions.

Which makes me really surprised that the Toro didn't throw the slush.  I bought a 826oe and it threw 6-8 inches of slush 10-15 feet.  Maybe something was adjusted wrong?  I personally would get a single stage Toro and the dual stage 1028oxe.  The little Toro will be much easier to use for the wife but in worse case scenario she can always pull out the bigger machine.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #87   Dec 29, 2009 2:07 pm
Thanks for all the suggestions. I spoke with the dealer and they said they are willing to take back the Honda for a 10% restocking fee. So $250 for using it 2 hours....... Still we'll do that if they call us back to arrange a pickup time. No idea what we will get. I'm going to price out a John Deere tractor with a snowblower attachment probably $$$$$$. The other option is of course use a Toro 1028 and spplement it with a Toro 1800 since 2 stage throwers don't clean down to the pavement. I'd have to buy at least 100 feet of cord on top of my old outdoor extension cords. No idea at this point what I should do. I'd rather design my own snowthrower. I'd have a Honda engine with their hydrostatic transmission. The Chute system from the Toro and a tracked skid steer system that would allow either track to freewheel. I guess for slush a power shovel like the Toro 1800 is the only way to go.

Thanks everyone for your help, it's much appreciated.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
snowmachine

Reply #88   Dec 29, 2009 2:36 pm
aa335 wrote:
This article mentions production of engines, GC160 engines, and lawn mowers.  I didn't see any mention snowblowers, tillers, or string trimmer as complete assembly.

Here is another article: http://www.hondanews.com/categories/1092/releases/192

"Honda Power Equipment Mfg., Inc. Swepsonville, North Carolina General purpose engines Walk-behind lawn mowers Snow blower String trimmers Water pumps Tillers Aug. 1984 252,000 sq. ft. 380,000 mowers 2,000,000 engines 580"

Wikipedia hit for Swepsonville, NC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swepsonville,_North_Carolina

"The Honda Motor Company manufactures general purpose engines, walk-behind lawn mowers, snow blowers, string trimmers, water pumps, and tillers in Swepsonville."

This message was modified Dec 29, 2009 by snowmachine
Paul7

Reply #89   Dec 29, 2009 4:04 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I spoke with the dealer and they said they are willing to take back the Honda for a 10% restocking fee. So $250 for using it 2 hours....... Still we'll do that if they call us back to arrange a pickup time. No idea what we will get. I'm going to price out a John Deere tractor with a snowblower attachment probably $$$$$$. The other option is of course use a Toro 1028 and spplement it with a Toro 1800 since 2 stage throwers don't clean down to the pavement. I'd have to buy at least 100 feet of cord on top of my old outdoor extension cords. No idea at this point what I should do. I'd rather design my own snowthrower. I'd have a Honda engine with their hydrostatic transmission. The Chute system from the Toro and a tracked skid steer system that would allow either track to freewheel. I guess for slush a power shovel like the Toro 1800 is the only way to go.

Thanks everyone for your help, it's much appreciated.

That's good that your dealer is giving you the return option.   If she can't use it then it's probably better to pay the restocking fee and get something that she can use.  Sounds like an appropriately sized 2 stage wheeled machine with either an automatic differential or a remote lever activated axle lock/unlock feature may be the ticket. 

For the slush a single stage would work.  I'm not familiar with the Toro 1800 power curve but I found a youtube video of one in action.  For my taste I'd rather have a gas powered engine than have to deal with dragging semi frozen extension cords behind me...but then again the electric model would be one less engine to maintain.  In any event I think that Toro is the brand to buy for single stage snowblowers.  I have a large 11.5 hp Ariens 2 stage and I love it...but I also have a 7hp Ariens single stage and it dosen't come close to matching the performance of my neighbors 5hp Toro single stage snowblower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQOBq-tF3pY
Steve_Cebu

Reply #90   Dec 29, 2009 6:23 pm
Paul7 wrote:
That's good that your dealer is giving you the return option.   If she can't use it then it's probably better to pay the restocking fee and get something that she can use.  Sounds like an appropriately sized 2 stage wheeled machine with either an automatic differential or a remote lever activated axle lock/unlock feature may be the ticket. 

For the slush a single stage would work.  I'm not familiar with the Toro 1800 power curve but I found a youtube video of one in action.  For my taste I'd rather have a gas powered engine than have to deal with dragging semi frozen extension cords behind me...but then again the electric model would be one less engine to maintain.  In any event I think that Toro is the brand to buy for single stage snowblowers.  I have a large 11.5 hp Ariens 2 stage and I love it...but I also have a 7hp Ariens single stage and it dosen't come close to matching the performance of my neighbors 5hp Toro single stage snowblower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQOBq-tF3pY

I sure hope they will follow through with it. For them it gives them a demo and they make $250 on it. No idea what we will buy. I can setup the Toro so she can use the electric start. No way can she pull over the B&S engine. She's strong enough but not tall enough to pull the cord far enough. I can reroute an extension to the other side of the garage for her to use to fire it up. I saw the video on YouTube, thanks, and I saw a few others as well. The fact that it's light and goes down to bare tar is what I like. I don't want a 2 stroke machine and a 4 stroke is pretty heavy. This is just to clean up after the big machine or for small snowfalls. I'm not thrilled about electricity and snow mixing. The Toro rubber augers look like they can really get down low but no way do I want my wife mixing gas. She's too blonde for that.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Catt

Reply #91   Dec 29, 2009 7:44 pm

Well I probably shouldn't, but I'm going to give my two cents here.  This is what I would do...

1) If I really liked the Honda, I would keep it rather than throwing out the $250.  I'd have the machine that I wanted and attack the wife’s machine requirements separately.

2) Find a second snow blower that my wife could operate.  Maybe it's an Ariens 20" or 24" compact snow blower or maybe it's a Toro with the curved paddle or a Honda with the curved paddle.

One thing for sure, I would have the blower that I wanted and I wouldn’t care what anybody thought.  I would keep the wife's blower as a separate but solvable issue.  But then again my wife doesn't snowblow.

opecrazy

Reply #92   Dec 29, 2009 11:31 pm
I like how you think Catt!!!!

Whats the problem with mixing the fuel beforehand?  Unless you are away for really long periods of time, then get a 4 stroke Toro.  They are only marginally heavier.  What ever you do..... don't get the electrical version.  You will end up hating it.  Its really only meant for decks... and close areas near the house.

Since saving money is always a good thing.... this is what I would do:

Maybe get an Ariens Track model for you....( since it sounds like you need the traction) and then get the wife something else.  Whatever she ends up liking.   It could be a small two stage or a single stage.

Just my humble thoughts. 
This message was modified Dec 29, 2009 by opecrazy
Steve_Cebu

Reply #93   Dec 30, 2009 7:53 am
Thanks for the ideas. I was hoping the power shovel would work as a shovel to clean up but it sounds like it won't work. My wife thinks we should have the guy come and plow the driveway and use a Toro 421 single stage to clean up. I just don't know if that unit will get down to the pavement? I also wonder if it could do the EOD cleaning up as the plow guy would come once per storm. Then the rest would be up to us. I'm also looking at a garden tractor with a snowblower attachment. But those are big and I'm not sure where I would store one.

skier1

Reply #94   Dec 30, 2009 9:35 am
opecrazy wrote:

Maybe get an Ariens Track model for you....( since it sounds like you need the traction) and then get the wife something else.  Whatever she ends up liking.   It could be a small two stage or a single stage.

Just my humble thoughts. 

If that is the case, and you are still thinking of throwing more money at a problem, then keep the current Honda (saving yourself the $250 in restocking)and buy either a Honda  or a Toro single stage.  Either will well suit her needs and tthe 2 stage will cover the other needs.

Your wife is falling into the other end of my spectrum, I am 6'5" and have a buldging disk in my back, so I needed a unit that is easier for me to use, but at 280+ lb I can muscle around something bigger.

This message was modified Dec 30, 2009 by skier1
aa335

Reply #95   Dec 30, 2009 12:08 pm
Catt wrote:

2) Find a second snow blower that my wife could operate.  Maybe it's an Ariens 20" or 24" compact snow blower or maybe it's a Toro with the curved paddle or a Honda with the curved paddle.

I had 2 beers last night.  On first reading, your suggestion read like this to me:

2)  Find a second wife to operate my snowblower.

Let the creativity juices flow. 

Happy New Year everyone.
Replies: 86 - 95 of 221Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42