Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > What to do with my backfiring Briggs Engine on My New Ariens Snowblower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
joed

What to do with my backfiring Briggs Engine on My New Ariens Snowblower
Original Message   Dec 26, 2009 11:24 am
I purchased a brand new Ariens Platinum deluxe 24" snowblower in October of 2009.  I paid $2000 Canadian with tax.  A few weeks ago, I used the machine for the first time to clear about 5 cm of snow.  Unit started up well and removed the snow.  Then, when I went to shut down the unit, it backfired and two flames/sparks came out of the exhuast.  I went to start the machine up again and it wouldn't start even though it had been running for 20 minutes.  So, I opened up the choke, primed the unit and it started.  Upon shutting down, the backfiring happened again and again it wouldn't start.  So, I contacted Ariens.  There response was:
1. Put the throttle down to half, let it idle for about 30 seconds and then shut it down.
I did that and still the backfiring happened.  So back I go to contact Ariens.  They tell me to take it back to the dealer.  I did and they:
1. changed the camshaft
2. started 4 other Ariens machines and they all did the same thing.
3. Contacted Briggs who told them the backfiring is caused by the engine running lean so that they could make it through emission restrictions.  They also told the dealer to tell me not to worry about it.

At this stage, I'm frustrated.  I find it unacceptable to pay $2000 for a machine and have it backfire right from the get go.   Interestingly enough, the dealer had a single stage toro 421 and a powerlite.  Both units come with the 4 stroke Chinese made engine from Loncin.  He started those up and neither one of them backfired.  

I don't understand how Briggs can let this go.

Now, I don't know whether to:
1. Just keep the unit.
2. Push Ariens to do something about the unit.  Ariens uses the snow series Briggs.  I wonder if the Snow Max series does the same thing.
3. Push Ariens to give me my money back.

Any idea/feedback?
Replies: 11 - 20 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
specialkkl

Re: What to do with my backfiring Briggs Engine on My New Ariens Snowblower
Reply #11   Dec 27, 2009 11:00 pm
I heard from my dealer new engines have emission requirements that cause them to run a little different than in past. My platinum deluxe 24 did the same thing when idling down. Make sure your choke is all the way off also.
mfduffy

Reply #12   Dec 29, 2009 9:33 am
I don't understand all the fuss on this one.  Is it affecting performace or damaging the equipment?  If so, it should be fixed.  Otherwise, turn it off and go inside for some hot coffee.  My Dad has a 15 year-old Ariens (obviously, Tecumseh L head).  He never does anything except change the oil and lube the auger shaft -- that's it.  Since day one, it has been nearly impossible to turn off the machine without a backfire.  You have to creep the throttle down ever so slowly and then MAYBE it won't backfire when you cut the spark.  I have a four year-old Simp Pro with B&S OHV.  It's backfired on me just twice.  However, because of my experience with the Tecumseh, I always carefully throttle down to stop the machine.  And I never cut the spark.  The two times: Once, I was starting to get ready for the season.  Machine started up, but I didn't get the choke off fast enough.  It sputtered, stopped, and backfired.  The other time was when I took the throttle down too fast, the machine stopped and backfired -- just like my Dad's.
borat

Reply #13   Dec 29, 2009 10:01 am
I've seen Briggs engines in other applications back fire just about every time they're shut off. I have a friend with a Toro lawn tractor that has a 16 h.p. single B&S engine. Big bang pretty much every time he shuts it down, no matter what method he uses. Personally, I think it might be residual fuel in the hot exhaust igniting as soon as it has enough oxygen mixed with it. The "EPA/lean carb setting" is a little mysterious to me. One would think that setting the carb extra lean would deprive the opportunity for fuel to accumulate and ignite. If the back firing is due to fuel in the exhaust, all it would take is a glowing metal shard or burr inside the exhaust to ignite it. It's not uncommon for parts of an exhaust system to glow cherry red after only a few minutes of use.
Tim123

Reply #14   Dec 29, 2009 7:09 pm
If I where in your position  I would, contact Ariens  and get your money back!!!!!!!! You paid $2000.00 .

Don't let another day go bye, Do you want to deal with this problem every time you use it . Time is running out. Don't live with buyers remorse you paid $2000.00

Axis

Reply #15   Feb 12, 2013 9:39 am
Add me to the list.

Bought the same model as the OP, US version and it's now two years old.  Finally had some snow so first time used.

It backfired shutting down and even changing speeds from, what's it called now.... rabbit speed to tortoise speed idle.

Will this damage the engine, or just scare the heck out of whoever's using it?
carlb

Reply #16   Feb 12, 2013 10:06 am
borat wrote:
I've seen Briggs engines in other applications back fire just about every time they're shut off. I have a friend with a Toro lawn tractor that has a 16 h.p. single B&S engine. Big bang pretty much every time he shuts it down, no matter what method he uses. Personally, I think it might be residual fuel in the hot exhaust igniting as soon as it has enough oxygen mixed with it. The "EPA/lean carb setting" is a little mysterious to me. One would think that setting the carb extra lean would deprive the opportunity for fuel to accumulate and ignite. If the back firing is due to fuel in the exhaust, all it would take is a glowing metal shard or burr inside the exhaust to ignite it. It's not uncommon for parts of an exhaust system to glow cherry red after only a few minutes of use.

What happens on these extra lean running engines is that the muffler gets very hot as a result of the lean burn condition of the engine.  If you turn off the engine at full throttle when the engine is hot all that is happening is that the spark is killed to the spark plug but fuel is still being dumped into the engine because the throttle is wide open.  The unburnt full is then pumped out of the cylinder into the burning hot muffler.  When enough air is mixed with the unburnt fuel BOOM.  This will not harm the engine in any way but running that lean might.  If you have a throttle idle the engine down slowly and let it sit for a minute or two at idle for the muffler to cool down some before turning it off.

Carl
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #17   Feb 12, 2013 11:46 am
carlb wrote:
What happens on these extra lean running engines is that the muffler gets very hot as a result of the lean burn condition of the engine.  If you turn off the engine at full throttle when the engine is hot all that is happening is that the spark is killed to the spark plug but fuel is still being dumped into the engine because the throttle is wide open.  The unburnt full is then pumped out of the cylinder into the burning hot muffler.  When enough air is mixed with the unburnt fuel BOOM.  This will not harm the engine in any way but running that lean might.  If you have a throttle idle the engine down slowly and let it sit for a minute or two at idle for the muffler to cool down some before turning it off.

Carl

Great insite !!!!!

Loblolly77

Reply #18   Feb 13, 2013 9:20 am
Like the other said, the lean carb jetting, and it could be the ignition timing setting. Your dealer is never going to help you because the factory will void the warranty if the dealer changes what needs changing (carb tuning and maybe the timing) pus the legal issues.

The muffler could also have a catalytic converter inside- take off the muffler and look for a honeycomb plate or chamber inside. You can decide haw to handle that.

I stopped buying the newer OPE and only buy and fix older units. EPA is sheeiit.

hcbph1

Reply #19   Feb 13, 2013 10:41 am
I hear your concern.  Something someone did and mentioned the process on another forum for a clone engine was open up the jets.  He said that he couldn't get any other size jets for his engine so he took them out and used dental floss and some mild abrasive to open them up a little.  Said it got rid of all his surging and other issues relating to the engine.

Obviously I don't recommend this if you have a warranty but if it's out of warranty, it's sure worth looking into whether you can change out the jets or not, or be able to modify them a little.

trouts2

Reply #20   Feb 14, 2013 7:41 am
     There's no backfiring B&S OHV here at the moment to try the following on but it might work. 

Get the machine to it's lowest idle then punch the primer to choke it off.  That might work.  It depends on what exactly is causing the backfiring. 

The new B&S OHV designs backfire and the older properly running L head Tecumsehs never did.  The older usual reasons for backfiring don't seem to apply.  Your dealer suspected a very likely valve issue so replaced the crank.  Nothing changed.  Good running to spec B&S designs just backfire. 

One possibility for the backfiring might be the design of the idle circuit and high speed for better compliance with the EPA.  The backfiring happens when the rpm is low and engine shut off i.e. coil grounded. 

The engine is still spinning and the venturi speed slowed way down.   The carb then would be transitioning from high speed to the idle circuit or just on the idle circuit.  The new design may be dribbling the last gas from the high speed or pulling from the low which is just starting again to get enough gas to the head for a backfire with the spark grounded.  It's just the right amount of air, at the right flow and gas get to the head to fire.   Modifying that may make a change. 

The air flow can be changed by putting on full choke.   That will also richen the mix.  The amount of gas can also be further changed by a few stiff pumps on the primer for a flooding condition.   A lot of gas will go to the head, less air and what gets there will be less atomized than usual.  The flooding might just work and quickly dry in the head and not interfere with a quick restart.   
Replies: 11 - 20 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42