Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
joed

Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?
Original Message   Dec 24, 2009 9:23 am
I was at a local Honda dealer yesterday and I was stunned by the prices on their snowblowers. In Canadian dollars, they were: 928 wheels: $3000 928 track: $3400 724 track: $3400 1132 track: $3500 I know they have tracks, hydro tranny, honda engines, etc. but they're at least $1000-1500 more than equivalent toro and ariens models. Is it gold, they re making?
Replies: 34 - 43 of 221Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
opecrazy

Re: Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?
Reply #34   Dec 26, 2009 8:35 pm
I also think that Honda are definitely at the top in terms of engineering.  Not so much that their engines are special but the whole package instead.  Especially the hydrostatic transmission.

I haven't personally used any Hondas but I think the track units are more deserving of the high price tag.   In the severe climates, the combination of tracks and hydro transmission make them perfect for tricky terrain and demanding conditions.

Personally I don't think I will every afford a new Honda or justify the expense.  At this point in time I think Toro, Simplicity, and Ariens make better value alternatives.  Especially if one is considering a wheel unit.

Having said that I like working on stuff.  So I am currently looking for a used Honda.  Buying used will be the only way I can justify the price!
mikiewest

Reply #35   Dec 26, 2009 8:50 pm
this guys honda must be something special ,it chips away at ice lol.AA tell me what part of ur honda will outlast my blower??we already went thru this.Hondas r overpriced.B&S engine works great,starts on 1st pull after storing it away for 9 months.Snow throwing distance is excellent.Machine is built like a tank.It will last as long and be cheaper to maintain than a Honda.Friction disc is a old and reliable design.Oh and no it doesnt slip.Creeper gear works great at removing heavy dense snow.So where does ur machine accel??Nowhere  my friend.The question was Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive??No one can give a truly good answer.Maybe u should take a reading class.My point is u were comparing suvs to cars.compare sport car to sport car.that is what we r comparing snowblower to snowblower.not snowblower to atv with a plow u fool.Oh and if I drop my draws you probably would get excited so I'll keep them on.
This message was modified Dec 26, 2009 by mikiewest
mikiewest

Reply #36   Dec 26, 2009 9:08 pm
ok AA read slowly.Like I said ,if someone prefers a Porsche over a Vette,I can understand that.Even if the porsche costs more.Maybe the person likes the shape better etc.But when it comes to snowblowers,why would someone purposely pay thousands more for something that doesnt perform better,last longer and is more expensive to maintain.Ariens Pro or Simp Pro will do the job as well and last as long.The 724 is a joke at that price.If you'd like I will get the specs ok??
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #37   Dec 26, 2009 9:23 pm
Because we can

mikiewest

Reply #38   Dec 26, 2009 9:46 pm
thats ur choice knee biter.But someone wanted to know y hondas r so expensive?Again theres no real reason but if u choose to spend ur $$ on a Honda thats ur choice.I guess ur machine has diamond tipped auger blades lol.
aa335

Reply #39   Dec 26, 2009 10:36 pm
Knee_Biter wrote:
Because we can

Amen, and more than one too.  :)
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #40   Dec 26, 2009 10:42 pm
There is no answer.   Why does bread cost what it does?  Why is the earth round?  It cost what it does because they can get it.  Maybe they are built in Japan and it costs to get them here and that is where the premium comes from.  No diamond tip on my auger.  But they sure are nice. 

aa335

Reply #41   Dec 26, 2009 10:44 pm
mikiewest wrote:
this guys honda must be something special ,it chips away at ice lol.AA tell me what part of ur honda will outlast my blower??we already went thru this.Hondas r overpriced.B&S engine works great,starts on 1st pull after storing it away for 9 months.Snow throwing distance is excellent.Machine is built like a tank.It will last as long and be cheaper to maintain than a Honda.Friction disc is a old and reliable design.Oh and no it doesnt slip.Creeper gear works great at removing heavy dense snow.So where does ur machine accel??Nowhere  my friend.The question was Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive??No one can give a truly good answer.Maybe u should take a reading class.My point is u were comparing suvs to cars.compare sport car to sport car.that is what we r comparing snowblower to snowblower.not snowblower to atv with a plow u fool.Oh and if I drop my draws you probably would get excited so I'll keep them on.

It does chip away at ice.  And possibly an Ariens track model with 3 position height adjustment.  If you had own one, you would know it does. 

I can't tell you what will outlast your Simplicity.  Neither can you.  Even if you can, it's purely speculation.

You do know that creeper gear doesn't work very well at removing snow, don't you?  The auger and impeller are the only components that actively remove snow with efficiency.  Everyone has creeper gear, a few adjustments here and there.  Big deal!

I don't have a problem with friction disk, simple cost effective design.  If it doesn't slip, great.  Nothing to see here, move on.

You should read again, the comparison on the Porsche/Cadillac/Buick meant something else.  Seriously.  Its about choices that people make with their own money.  People with money don't give a care about you making a $1500 purchase that does better than theirs.  Really!

I haven't resorted to calling you a fool, and I won't, don't need to.  You are doing fine enough establishing that impression on your own.

Yes, keep your drawers on.  Not my type, you have nothing I want, upstairs or downstairs.
This message was modified Dec 27, 2009 by aa335
aa335

Reply #42   Dec 26, 2009 11:36 pm
mikiewest wrote:
ok AA read slowly.Like I said ,if someone prefers a Porsche over a Vette,I can understand that.Even if the porsche costs more.Maybe the person likes the shape better etc.But when it comes to snowblowers,why would someone purposely pay thousands more for something that doesnt perform better,last longer and is more expensive to maintain.Ariens Pro or Simp Pro will do the job as well and last as long.The 724 is a joke at that price.If you'd like I will get the specs ok??

I already have mentioned the spec of the 724 in a previous post.  I'm really not joking when I said you should read again.

There are reasons already stated why someone would buy a more expensive snowblower.  Just as you have reasons buying Simplicity when MTD, Craftsman, or Troy Bilt could be had for hundreds dollars less.  Just be glad you have choices.
This message was modified Dec 27, 2009 by aa335
Steve_Cebu

Reply #43   Dec 27, 2009 11:13 am
amazer98 wrote:
I know I posted something similar to this earlier, but I want to do so again:  Why are Hinda's so superior?  For example, Steve wrote that Hondas could chip ice that other brands could not.  How is this possible?  Honda's engines are not universally more powerful than those offered by othe companies at lower prices, right?  Are their augers made of titanium alloy or something?

Specifically, what makes Hondas so hot?

Well the Honda with tracks can actually be pointed into the ground. It has 3 positions not just 1 like other wheeled brands. The wheeled Honda can't adjust either. First position is pretty high up maybe 1.5 inches. It's good when you are done throwing. Second position is normal and you throw normally. Third position points the bucket into the ground and wow does it work. Honda does have a different auger design and the 3rd position can really dig in. Great for ice that's starting to break up. It's about design, not power. I ran over snow that had turned into ice and it was like a giant snow cone machine. My wife wasn't here or we'd have taken a video of it.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Replies: 34 - 43 of 221Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42