Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Wet slushy stuff

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
iLikeOrange

Wet slushy stuff
Original Message   Dec 26, 2009 9:18 am
We got a mess of this wet slushy stuff some were calling snow yesterday. Snow just can not be any heavier than this stuff. I knew it was gonna' Make the blower work hard. I have a 2005 Ariens 926 pro. There was maybe 5" of the stuff.  It was the biggest challenge the blower has seen and while it barked at me more than ever it was impressive to see and hear. The unit threw the stuff a minimum of 10 ' . This was for the pure slop. I thought for sure thr chute would clog on this, even though it has never has before.  There were moments that it filled up  but then but then "fudged?" out somehow. Never really missing a beat. Maybe stumbled but not missing. For the max throwing distance it didnt seem a whole lot shorter than  normal . It varried as the snow changed throughout the drive. The neighbours blower was benched and he resorted to the trusty shovel. I did his 2 contract jobs a few doors down and a couple more drives as well. All in all the blower earned its spot in the garage ( like it hadn't before? ).

STILL AN ISSUE is that irratating slipping fricktion slip drive. Never liked it never will. Damnit, when I say go, GO!!  Now it only happened a few times and recovers within seconds but it pissed me off every time. I've sealed the unit up to prevent water/snow intrusion but I'm goin' back in. They've peppered this drive housing with so many openings forcing its fate.  To me it is unacceptable behaviour and I want to beat it into submission. Can you tell I hate it?

I'll lighten up a bit and praise the differential. What a work of art it is and a pleasure to turn. Effortless one handed turns and goes where I piont it. I have a trigger to lock both wheels when needed like the super heavy EOD yesterday. It did not unlock immedeatly upon release but that is a minor adjustment I'll tend to shortly.

The motor, a 9.25hp some say is the same as their 11ish hp.  Now I have no idea if it is or not but I can say without reservation that this 9hp is plenty.  Who can't love more hp but I'm guessing that there can't be much difference. My driveway layout is such that I have to send that snow a long way and this unit does it.

All in all I am very impessed and can you beleive even with the fricktion slip "drive" I would do it again?

On a side note there were some single stage units around town that were doing an impressive job in the giant slurpee.

Tomorrow gonna' heat the garage  and give the beauty a mid-winter wax.

Replies: 1 - 10 of 20NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
qlty

Re: Wet slushy stuff
Reply #1   Dec 26, 2009 10:31 am
I spray the chute with PAM (spray on cooking stuff)prevents cloging.
iLikeOrange

Reply #2   Dec 26, 2009 1:50 pm
I have applied multiple coats of automotive to the chute. Snow  has never stuck. Never. The problem  yesterday was just the weight of the crud sitting attop itself in the chute. Like I said it kinda "fudged" itself out but did not actually stick.

mikiewest

Reply #3   Dec 26, 2009 2:54 pm
I have tried to colg my Simp Pro and just cant.It has a great h.p. to width ratio.It has an 11.5hp B&S Ohv  engine and the bucket is 28" wide.The wet slushy stuff doesnt slow me down.It just doesnt throw it as far.The power boost really keeps the engine pumping out the power and its smooth sailing.
Paul7

Reply #4   Dec 30, 2009 2:43 am
iLikeOrange wrote:
We got a mess of this wet slushy stuff some were calling snow yesterday. Snow just can not be any heavier than this stuff. I knew it was gonna' Make the blower work hard. I have a 2005 Ariens 926 pro. There was maybe 5" of the stuff.  It was the biggest challenge the blower has seen and while it barked at me more than ever it was impressive to see and hear. The unit threw the stuff a minimum of 10 ' . This was for the pure slop. I thought for sure thr chute would clog on this, even though it has never has before.  There were moments that it filled up  but then but then "fudged?" out somehow. Never really missing a beat. Maybe stumbled but not missing. For the max throwing distance it didnt seem a whole lot shorter than  normal . It varried as the snow changed throughout the drive. The neighbours blower was benched and he resorted to the trusty shovel. I did his 2 contract jobs a few doors down and a couple more drives as well. All in all the blower earned its spot in the garage ( like it hadn't before? ).

STILL AN ISSUE is that irratating slipping fricktion slip drive. Never liked it never will. Damnit, when I say go, GO!!  Now it only happened a few times and recovers within seconds but it pissed me off every time. I've sealed the unit up to prevent water/snow intrusion but I'm goin' back in. They've peppered this drive housing with so many openings forcing its fate.  To me it is unacceptable behaviour and I want to beat it into submission. Can you tell I hate it?

I'll lighten up a bit and praise the differential. What a work of art it is and a pleasure to turn. Effortless one handed turns and goes where I piont it. I have a trigger to lock both wheels when needed like the super heavy EOD yesterday. It did not unlock immedeatly upon release but that is a minor adjustment I'll tend to shortly.

The motor, a 9.25hp some say is the same as their 11ish hp.  Now I have no idea if it is or not but I can say without reservation that this 9hp is plenty.  Who can't love more hp but I'm guessing that there can't be much difference. My driveway layout is such that I have to send that snow a long way and this unit does it.

All in all I am very impessed and can you beleive even with the fricktion slip "drive" I would do it again?

On a side note there were some single stage units around town that were doing an impressive job in the giant slurpee.

Tomorrow gonna' heat the garage  and give the beauty a mid-winter wax.

Orange, I'm curious...does your 2005 Ariens 926 Pro have the B&S engine or the Tecumseh?
iLikeOrange

Reply #5   Dec 30, 2009 9:40 am
Tecumseh

trouts2

Reply #6   Jan 1, 2010 11:35 am
References to wet slushy stuff are very subjective. iLikeOrange mentioned tossing 5 inches of it and that is impressive. Here in Mass really wet snow, grey colored, really soft so you could not make a snow ball with it rarely gets over 2 inches as it can't stand up given its own weight. Very few two stage snowblowers can deal with that kind of slush. Single stages can. They can throw water.

For slush with more body most snowblowers will clog in the chute. The very strong snowblowrs will pump out blocks of compressed slush that fall on the barrel and ground and don't break.

Given a little more body gets to the point where two stages can throw. At this consistency of slush different snowblower features would make a different. The diameter of the impeller, shape, speed and the same with the rakes. Just comparing Ariens to MTD or Toro is not so helpful and then there is always the subjective "slush" conditions.

Auger and impeller speed seem to be key along with good engine compression. I used two older Ariens machine that were the same model in throwable wet snow last week. One had a 7hp Tecumseh and the other a new 6.5 OHV. The 7hp has quite a bit of trouble but the 6.5 did very well. The difference was compression. The 7hp tossed well otherwise and the compression ok. Just that extra compression margin made a difference.

Impeller speed makes a difference. A poster in another thread mentioned a new Toro not being able to toss slush. That’s very subjective. A new Toro would seem to be able to toss slush with the best of them excluding Honda and Yamaha. He must have had some very difficult slush. So I wondered about the engine and speeds. Below is some info on the newer Toro models.

The 3300 is the Briggs engine RPM, so not like Tecumseh at 3600.  Ariens has 1300 impeller.

Impeller speed (3300 X 3.000/8.062) = 1228 RPM

Impeller tip speed - 3893 ft/min.

Auger speed - 123 RPM

This message was modified Jan 3, 2010 by trouts2
Paul7

Reply #7   Jan 1, 2010 1:17 pm
We got 2-3 inches of wet heavy slushy snow on New Years Eve and I tried to clear it with my Ariens 722 single stage snowthrower.  Sadly even with 7hp it couldn't handle 2-3 inches of slushy snow.  If the chute was aimed straight forward it threw the snow about 5 feet.  If I aimed the chute to the right the snow got clogged up in the chute.  Very disappointing.  I ended up using my 11.5 hp Ariens 2 stage machine to clear my driveway.
iLikeOrange

Reply #8   Jan 1, 2010 3:14 pm
Direction of impeller rotation  will determine a favored side to dischare. Wow that sounds complicated.

O

Paul7

Reply #9   Jan 1, 2010 3:31 pm
iLikeOrange wrote:
Direction of impeller rotation  will determine a favored side to dischare. Wow that sounds complicated.

O

It's a single stage machine, there is no impeller...just a simple uncomplicated auger.  
trouts2

Reply #10   Jan 1, 2010 4:46 pm
The two stage I've had all toss to the right best. 

Single stages toss best forward and drop off fairly quickly as you go to either side.

I've had two newer 11.5 OHV Tecumsehs on Ariens machines (24, 28 inch) full great compression.  They were impressive in all conditions.  If I remember right the single stages could bet them at slush that was close to soup, all grey loose mush.  More like a frap than a slush cone.   Anything white stuff no matter how wet the Ariens would slop up and out the chute. 

I've only had 3 and 4.5 hp Toro and MTD machines.  The Toro 4.5's had Suzuki engines and a great engine.  They did very well in slop but they had full rubbers. 

I never had a big single stage but I thought the 7hp guys would be spectacular.  I think those are 4 cycle but they still must have high impeller speeds with good torque. 

Replies: 1 - 10 of 20NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42