Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 12" impeller vs 14" impeller?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
njg4756

12" impeller vs 14" impeller?
Original Message   Dec 22, 2009 4:29 am
Is there a measurable difference between the volume throughput of the Ariens 14" impellers compared to the more common 12" ones? Is this "volume throughput" a meaningful spec such as CFM is for an air compressor? Is there a downside for the larger impeller such as less manuverability? Is the extra weight in front helpful?
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
njg4756

Re: 12" impeller vs 14" impeller?
Reply #1   Dec 24, 2009 3:32 pm
Well I just got my Ariens Delux 24" 921011 with the 249cc B/S and14" auger and impeller...The 26" we got 5 days ago has settled down into a denser 18", still fluffy, but starting to melt for sure. Well right out of the box, the 921011 went right into a bank full throat and while the motor definitely strained a bit at times, was definitely able to keep up with the intake while on the slowest forward speed. I don't have much to compare this to, but I was impressed. I think a slightly larger engine wouldn't strain so much, so I would recommend spending the extra few hundred bucks on the 305cc or larger engine. If this was fresh, though, I can tell it would blow right through it without straining. I am convinced that the 14" auger and the 14" impeller makes a  huge difference in how much volume is able to go through the chute. The larger auger covers that much more surface area and the larger impeller feels like it can handle higher volume. It also means the auger doesn't need to pull the stuff so far into the center before it gets sucked up and out. The larger elements definitely scale up the demand on the motor, but what else would you want to do with the power if you had it?!
amazer98

Reply #2   Dec 24, 2009 4:00 pm
I'm glad you're happy with your new Ariens.  I have the same unit-- well, the Platinum one with traction control-- and feel that the motor is plenty powerful. I'm blown away by how far it shoots the snow-- it's like a cannon!  But, I haven't yet faced anything deeper than an 8" snowfall. 

For years I've used a 1975 vintage Ariens (that I bought from the people who sold us our home in 1983) to blow our drive and that unit certainly didn't have the oomph that the 249cc-- (what is it... about 9hp?) has, so I'm grooving on the new power of my recently acquired blower.  I guess with deeper snowfallls, there's no such thing as too much power, but short of a massive dump in the high Sierras, I think I have enough HP  to cope with whatever a New Hampshire winter can deliver.

By the way, whereabouts are you using your snowblower?
borat

Reply #3   Dec 24, 2009 4:53 pm
I think the 249cc engine is in the 7.5 to 8 h.p. range. B&S 305 series engines are rated from 9 to 11 h.p. depending on which label they slapped on the motor. Personally, from my experience with the B&S 305cc engine, I'd say it's a solid 10 h.p. and possibly a bit more.
njg4756

Reply #4   Dec 24, 2009 10:15 pm
I'm on long Island...It's been a while since we've gotten 24"+ in one shot, and who knows when it will happen again, but it sure feels good knowing I won't be shoveling from here on out no matter what happens...I have a gut feeling we will be getting more this year... The sharks were starting at $150 per driveway to plow, so if we get one good dump a year it pays for itself. I probably shouldn't stress the machine too much right out of the box and let it break in slowly...
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42