Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
joed

Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?
Original Message   Dec 24, 2009 9:23 am
I was at a local Honda dealer yesterday and I was stunned by the prices on their snowblowers. In Canadian dollars, they were: 928 wheels: $3000 928 track: $3400 724 track: $3400 1132 track: $3500 I know they have tracks, hydro tranny, honda engines, etc. but they're at least $1000-1500 more than equivalent toro and ariens models. Is it gold, they re making?
Replies: 212 - 221 of 221Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Bill_H

Re: Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?
Reply #212   Mar 6, 2012 12:16 pm
He was referring to the B&S engine, not Husqvarna.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
bus708

Reply #213   Mar 13, 2012 7:37 pm
I hate to bust your bubble but NOT all Briggs engines are built in USA. Try Japan. They are dam good engines none the less. The 420 on a Ariens pro track is a real monster
RedOctobyr

Reply #214   Mar 13, 2012 8:21 pm
Is it the Vanguard engines that are built in Japan? I'd heard that they are made by Daihatsu, not sure if that's true.
sunfishguy

Reply #215   Oct 9, 2012 2:35 am
joed wrote:
I was at a local Honda dealer yesterday and I was stunned by the prices on their snowblowers. In Canadian dollars, they were: 928 wheels: $3000 928 track: $3400 724 track: $3400 1132 track: $3500 I know they have tracks, hydro tranny, honda engines, etc. but they're at least $1000-1500 more than equivalent toro and ariens models. Is it gold, they re making?

Why do you spend extra money for a Stihl Chainsaw, Apple computer Lexus vehicle.  Quality and name!  Before a company becomes overpriced it has to make a name for it's self.  Honda makes great cars and great small engines.  I have 5 honda 2 stage blowers and I paid 300.00 for one and 150.00 for another so If you buy them in the summer you can steel them.  I think the biggest noticable feature is Honda can take very, very wet snow and still throw in 40 ft any other brand dumps it about 3 feet.

HONDA

HONDA

HONDA

GOTTA LOVE THEM.  IF YOU DON'T YOU HAVEN'T RUN ONE. THANKS

aa335

Reply #216   Oct 9, 2012 12:09 pm
sunfishguy wrote:
  I think the biggest noticable feature is Honda can take very, very wet snow and still throw in 40 ft any other brand dumps it about 3 feet.

I own a Honda 1132TAS so I know what it can do with wet snow, but your blanket statement about other brands is grossly hyperbolic.  My neighbors have Simplicity, Troy-Bilt, and Toro and they throw snow a respectable distance. 

Don't forget there's the new Ariens Pro models that should make a Honda think about upgrading their engines to stay within spitting distance.  :)  Oh yeah, Honda did upgrade, it's now a Honda 1332.
This message was modified Oct 9, 2012 by aa335
Bill_H

Reply #217   Oct 10, 2012 12:53 am
Do they have sunfish in NJ?

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
carlb

Reply #218   Oct 10, 2012 8:06 am
Bill_H wrote:
Do they have sunfish in NJ?

Bill,

I was thinking the same exact thing when i read that post.
Ctrlaltelite

Reply #219   Oct 11, 2012 9:11 pm
Here is my two cents. Two days ago I bought a new snow thrower. It was going to either be a used Honda 1132 for $1700 or brand new Ariens Pro 28 for $1999. I did not like the fact of spending that much on a used thrower. So I went with the Ariens. (this was 2 days ago). Today I thought, If I was spending that much money, I should do myself the service of at least checking out a new Honda. So I went to the local dealer and took a look at the HS1332. Let me say. Upon just looking at it, the quality is superior to any other snow blower I have seem. The crank chute is top notch. The exhaust is top notch. The quality is absolutely amazing.

Here's what I like:
-Quality. Did I say top notch yet? Stunning all around
-Crank chute. Best on the market
-Engine, not much else to say 390cc (which probably feels much more powerful than that)
-Probably will last 30 years if well taken care of. Probably longer'

Here's what I don't like;
-Price is obvious
-Track or wheeled version. Hard to turn. Cant even move the track version when its not running. At least I couldn't at the dealer, nor could the salesmen.

So seeing as I just purchased a $2000 sno-thro, I'm going to say this. I was very very close to canceling my delivery with the Ariens dealer. But the two negatives, were enough for me to keep what I have coming.

-Would I buy a Honda: YES
-Are they worth it: YES
-Overpriced: As far as throwing snow (which is its only purpose) yes it is overpriced because other machines can move snow from here to there. Your paying to quality, longevity, and reliability. For that reason they are NOT overpriced. You decide.

Here is my take on top brands IMHO!!!!!! With keeping $$ in mind. Excluding Yamaha not sold in USA)

1) Ariens (best bang for the buck. Good quality. Proven. Reliable, lots of choices) without breaking the bank
2) Toro (Proven, reliable, use more plastics than I like)
3) Honda (Not best bang for the buck, but best quality) Difficult to turn, PRICY. Would pay the extra $$ for a Honda, than settling for any of the other brands.
4) Simplicity
5) Husqvarna
6)Deere
7) TIE among the rest
-Craftsman
-Troy-Built
-Cub Cadet

Just my .02 and my opinion alone

This message was modified Oct 11, 2012 by Ctrlaltelite
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #220   Oct 23, 2012 12:19 am

Ctrlaltelite wrote:

Here is my take on top brands IMHO!!!!!! With keeping $$ in mind. Excluding Yamaha not sold in USA)

1) Ariens (best bang for the buck. Good quality. Proven. Reliable, lots of choices) without breaking the bank
2) Toro (Proven, reliable, use more plastics than I like)
3) Honda (Not best bang for the buck, but best quality) Difficult to turn, PRICY. Would pay the extra $$ for a Honda, than settling for any of the other brands.
4) Simplicity
5) Husqvarna
6)Deere
7) TIE among the rest
-Craftsman
-Troy-Built
-Cub Cadet

Just my .02 and my opinion alone

I really like your list of brands in the order you gave them, and for the reasons you gave.  I own a Toro LXE1028, and really like it, but also have liked Ariens for a long time, as well. 

This message was modified Oct 23, 2012 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
DBV1

Reply #221   Oct 24, 2012 8:14 am
We purchased a Honda 928TA last year after researching the brands and comparing. I thought the build quality of the Honda is fantastic, but also liked the Ariens. We did not get to use it much last winter and it is our first snowblower, but I did think it was hard to turn. Wished we got the smaller size, as maybe it would be easier. Hopefully, this winter will give it a real test and see if turning improves, as our knowledge of using it improves.
Replies: 212 - 221 of 221Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42