Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > ariens has lost my respect

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mikiewest

ariens has lost my respect
Original Message   Aug 30, 2009 8:09 pm
Have you seen the junk they are now selling on the Home Depot website?It's called Sno-Tek by Ariens.It's being described as a value machine lol.Ariens will do anything to be known as the Co. that sells the most machines.They have forgotten about quality and it's all about sales.
Replies: 25 - 32 of 32Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
MM42

Re: ariens has lost my respect
Reply #25   Dec 17, 2009 12:12 pm
I bought an Ariens 1332 DLE last season (Dec 2008) after doing what I thought was quite a bit of research.  I bought my unit at a small store not the big box store and paid a lot of money for it comparatively speaking.  What I have found is that I am really disappointed with the controls, so much so that I actually sent the company an email.  As I don't have a heated storage area to put my blower in after using it, unless the temperature gets above the freezing point my controls don't work.  The  chute height adjust won't move and the chute won't rotate the culprit of course being that the cables are frozen.  I can spend just as much time messing around with the chute as I do actually blowing snow.    I phoned the dealer where I bought the machine and complained about this problem and his solution was to remove the cables and bring them inside after blowing... I don't think so. 
Another annoyance that I have found is that the blower is pictured in the brochure with a heat shield over the muffler.  Well it appears that last years model doesn't have a heat shield.  Normally this would not be a problem I imagine, but as I spend so much time fussing with the cables I invariably put my gloves on the blower and they melt to the muffler.  I've ruined two pairs of gloves like this and you would think I would have learned the first time but you get so frustrated that you forget.  Nobs have fallen off the controls and the deflector for the muffler has fallen off. 
I will concede the fact though that it does move a lot of snow with relative ease but it's all of the little nagging things that cause me so much grief while I am  trying to blow snow that leave that bad lasting impression. 
If anyone out there has a solution to the bicycle cables freezing please I would like to know about it.
Ariens never did respond to my email as well.
borat

Reply #26   Dec 17, 2009 2:29 pm
Try blasting some WD-40 into each end of the cables if possible. The objective is to get the WD-40 into the cable to minimize the amount of water that is in there. For your information the "WD" in WD-40 stands for water displacement. It's important to get a good splash inside the cables. Get into the habit of spraying the cables and see how that goes.
Paul7

Reply #27   Dec 19, 2009 10:50 pm
borat wrote:
Well, I assume we can apply that same logic to the rest of the manufacturing in North America. We all can readily see what the results are when we build lesser quality automobiles. Why would that example be different from anything else being built to a lesser quality than what we had appreciated in the past? Compromising quality is a step backward. How can anyone possibly substantiate that inferior quality is a good thing? I don't get it.

Borat, I think that there is a difference between the snowthrower market and the automobile market based on where you live.   Consider this...I live in a area where I can go two years without ever needing to start my large snowthrower.  We just got 10 inches of snow in SE PA today and this is the first time in years that I needed to start my large 2 stage Ariens snowthrower.   (For the last few years all I needed was my smaller single stage Ariens 722...and on some years I didn't even need it) However someone living in the North American snowbelt or Canada needs a machine that's built well enough to handle 10 snowfall with a much greater frequency.  If manufacturers only built snowthrowers with premium components, top of the line engines, cast iron everything, and engineered to exacting standards then I'd be forced to buy a lot more machine than I need...and for a lot more money than I may want to spend.   I can get by for many years with an MTD POS if I wanted to, while you really need a snowthrower that can take a much more frequent workout...and that's the difference.

As for how the Japanese can product quality and thrive while we can't all I can say is that I once worked for a German company where long range planning was 20 years...just like the Japanese.  I now work for an American company and long range planning is 3 months...or until the next earnings update to the investment community. 

MM42, there is no excuse for knobs falling off the machine that you bought.  And there's REALLY no excuse for Ariens not replying to your email.  I became an "Ariens man" years ago when their customer service was tops in the industry.  It's troubling to learn that it's fallen off that much.
borat

Reply #28   Dec 20, 2009 10:25 am
Paul7 wrote:
Borat, I think that there is a difference between the snowthrower market and the automobile market based on where you live.   Consider this...I live in a area where I can go two years without ever needing to start my large snowthrower.  We just got 10 inches of snow in SE PA today and this is the first time in years that I needed to start my large 2 stage Ariens snowthrower.   (For the last few years all I needed was my smaller single stage Ariens 722...and on some years I didn't even need it) However someone living in the North American snowbelt or Canada needs a machine that's built well enough to handle 10 snowfall with a much greater frequency.  If manufacturers only built snowthrowers with premium components, top of the line engines, cast iron everything, and engineered to exacting standards then I'd be forced to buy a lot more machine than I need...and for a lot more money than I may want to spend.   I can get by for many years with an MTD POS if I wanted to, while you really need a snowthrower that can take a much more frequent workout...and that's the difference.

As for how the Japanese can product quality and thrive while we can't all I can say is that I once worked for a German company where long range planning was 20 years...just like the Japanese.  I now work for an American company and long range planning is 3 months...or until the next earnings update to the investment community. 

MM42, there is no excuse for knobs falling off the machine that you bought.  And there's REALLY no excuse for Ariens not replying to your email.  I became an "Ariens man" years ago when their customer service was tops in the industry.  It's troubling to learn that it's fallen off that much.

Not buying that argument. The point is that the manufacturers are not only supplying low grade, inexpensive models, even their premium products are being built to a lesser level of quality. I have no problem if a company wants to make a cheap snow thrower for the "occasional user". However, when their so called premium units start to show signs of compromised quality and prices remain high, I certainly do have a problem with that. No excuse for building lesser quality products and still demanding top dollar for them. So, companies that cannot develop a business plan longer than three months can use that excuse to build cheap? I don't get the connection. Sounds to me that any organization with a three month plan doesn't have a plan. That sounds more like shoe string survival. As I've said in the past, a company can rest on it's laurels until enough loyal customers realize that their loyalty is not being rewarded with the quality products they had once appreciated. Customer, by customer, day by day, week by week, their market will slowly evaporate. When that happens, even China won't be able to save them.
Paul7

Reply #29   Dec 20, 2009 3:28 pm
borat wrote:
 So, companies that cannot develop a business plan longer than three months can use that excuse to build cheap? I don't get the connection. Sounds to me that any organization with a three month plan doesn't have a plan.

Ever hear the expression "penny wise but dollar foolish"?  It's the same thing.  I've seen US corporations do the craziest things just to make their numbers for a quarterly earnings call.  Things that did not contribute positively to long range strategy.  One US corporation I was with years ago sold off their only growing company just to meet their earning projections for the semester.

As far as the quality not being what it should on American made premium snowblowers...I can't explain it.  If I had to try, I'd suggest that the American made top of the line machines are less expensive than the top of the line Hondas or Yamahas.   But the fact they're less expensive isn't a good explanation because I feel that any American snow thrower labeled as a Professional model should be able to take a beating and be free of the nuisance problems that I've read about on this forum.
JimmyM

Reply #30   Dec 20, 2009 7:13 pm
The reduction in build quality has made me hesitant for a while. I just got tired of fixing the little things getting worn out on a 36 year old blower. It's a rather small 24" / 5HP re-labelled Gilson. But it's built like a tank. bent & pressed plate verus stamped sheetmetal, Bearings versus bushings, Cast Iron gearcase versus pot metal. The impeller alone is an exercise in overkill, yet it got bent ingesting a 2x4. However, even bent, it continued to function for many years. I doubt any current impeller would fare as well. But to get anything built as solidly today I'd have to spend $3000 to get even close.
I doubt my next blower (Ariens ST30LE or Poulan PR1330ES) will lat as long.

Thanks for the tips on cable freezing, I'll have to keep that in mind.
aa335

Reply #31   Dec 21, 2009 10:29 am
I just recently saw a video of those old snowblowers.  Looks like they can gobbles a lot of deep snow and have high volumetric capacity.  However, the throwing distance was fairly short, looks like the most was about 10 feet.

I don't think I want something built as tough as these older snowblowers.  I rather trade off toughness for more performance/efficiency.  Not that I need to, but there may be occasions when placing snow in the neighbor's driveway may be entertaining.
This message was modified Dec 21, 2009 by aa335
flange

Reply #32   Jan 5, 2010 10:26 am
This post is for screen name MM42  I may have a trick that could fix your cable problem.You may have to wait till next season to try it but if you can get the cables dry on the inside or get a new set of cables so you could have a spare set. Let the cables soak in automotive antifreeze use antifreeze straight uncut., if you can see the antifreeze is compleatly thru the cables you shuold be good for a year of two. Using lube may work, but oil and water will still freeze inside the cable. 
This message was modified Jan 5, 2010 by flange
Replies: 25 - 32 of 32Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42