Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > LCT Engines

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
sport

LCT Engines
Original Message   Nov 16, 2009 10:44 pm
I thought that I would start a thread with information on the LCT engine. Since these engines starting showup in place of the Temcumseh Snow King it would be nice to have a reference thread. Here are some links with information:

http://www.lctusa.com/

http://www.j-thomas.com/Catalog/164_lct_engines.html

http://www.parsonsracingengines.com/page/lct%20racing%20engines

The Parsons Racing site also shows that some of the parts on the 208 cc engine are interchangable with Honda GX200.

There are two base versions for LCT: 208 cc and 414 cc
The 208 cc is the one used for snowblowers. It is also referred to as the StormForce. My experience with the engine is on a Poulan snowblower. I'll post more on how it works out later in the season (it's only snowed twice so far in Denver).

Sport
Replies: 8 - 17 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
snowmachine

Re: LCT Engines
Reply #8   Dec 15, 2009 9:41 pm
borat wrote:I have a 305cc on my snow thrower and it's a damned good engine. It's only got 30 hours on it so, it's still fairly fresh. It starts well, and runs strong although, it's not quite as smooth as either of the other two engines previously mentioned. That might have something to do with it being 33% larger. Regardless, it's been a very good engine so far. If it craps out, I'll most likely re-power with an LCT or Champion engine.

I agree. The 305CC B&S Snow series (Non Max series) engine seems to be a strong runner. Maybe not a fair comparison but I really don't find it much different in refinement to the GCV190 motor in my HRX217K2HMA Honda mower. If anything I feel B&S has definitely raised the bar. Of course none of my engines purr like the small engine in my EU2000 Honda generators.
borat

Reply #9   Dec 16, 2009 10:36 am
Yo Snowmachine: I know what you mean by "purring" engines on the generators. Even the cheap little Champion I have is impressively smooth and quiet. However, in all fairness, those engines are rubber mounted and have comparatively huge mufflers. Another thing we have to consider, is that when an engine is mounted in a generator or pressure washer, we have no physical contact with them once they're running. On a snow thrower, the engine is solidly mounted and we have to grapple with it for sometimes hours. That might be why I perceive the other two engines to be smoother. In reality, they just might not be.
Catt

Reply #10   Dec 16, 2009 11:38 am
I was at Northern Tool looking at a Honda GX390 ($649) and an LCT414 ($399) today.  It sure looked like many of the parts were interchangeable but who knows how they compare inside.  I have to admit that if I was looking for a new engine I would consider the LCT.
borat

Reply #11   Dec 16, 2009 2:02 pm
You can tell that the Chinese engines are gaining acceptance just by the price increase. Can't say for sure about that LCT414, but it seems the prices for them are going up fairly fast.
JimmyM

Reply #12   Dec 20, 2009 7:44 pm
I'm getting a new blower. One of my choices is the Poulan PR1330ES with the LCT 414cc motor. It's the only blower I can find with this engine. The next closest engine is a 357cc motor (B&S, I think). However, there's a 45" Craftsman/Toro/etc blower with a 420cc engine. Who makes that enigne?
Aside from the 420cc engine, which I can't find any HP or Torque ratings on, is the LCT414 the biggest blower enigne available?
Paul7

Reply #13   Dec 21, 2009 12:16 am
The LCT 414cc is a 12 hp power engine.
Catt

Reply #14   Dec 21, 2009 2:19 am
The 420cc engine is marketed by MTD's Powermore brand and from what I understand is made by Zongshen in China.

http://www.powermore.ca/powermore/
This message was modified Dec 21, 2009 by Catt
JimmyM

Reply #15   Dec 21, 2009 1:35 pm
Catt wrote:
The 420cc engine is marketed by MTD's Powermore brand and from what I understand is made by Zongshen in China.

http://www.powermore.ca/powermore/

Thanks, Catt. It would appear that Zongshen makes the 357cc engine as well.
whouse

Reply #16   Dec 24, 2009 10:07 am
SEARS has a Boxing Day special on their Craftsman snowblower, with an LCT Storm Force 208cc engine.  Electric start, 24 inch width.  A small machine, but okay for homeowner use, I guess.  Price here in Canada is $599, a $300 saving.  Does this sound like a good deal?  I was nervous about the Chinese-made LCT engines until I read the positive reviews posted here.
gnurob

Reply #17   Jan 25, 2013 9:34 am
Does anyone have access to the LCT 414cc Storm Force engine mounted in a Husqvarna 1830 EXLT "Snow King" and an LCT 414cc MAXX GEN generator that can confirm if the mufflers are interchangeable? I'd take a 1 ft-lbs loss for a decent noise reduction.
Replies: 8 - 17 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42