Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Canadian Snowblowers are better?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
alexsha

Canadian Snowblowers are better?
Original Message   Dec 14, 2009 12:08 am
This is the snowblower I want:
http://www.sears.ca/product/craftsman-305cc-24-dual-stage-snowblower/71529070?ptag=1

305cc Briggs & Stratton, Snow Series engine, 13.5 ft lbs torque
Steel remote chute
Remote chute controls
Remote axle lock / Power steering

Where is this for sale in the USA for a similar price? The Ariens Deluxe Platinum 24" is the closest I've seen but it's a smaller engine and costs more. I live in Utah and while we do get lots of storms, the snow doesn't get too deep where I live. It does, however, get VERY wet at times. I looked around at the higher end single-stage Hondas and Toros, but for the price, I'd only be $100~$200 away from getting a good dual-stage. Even if I only had to have the power of a dual-stage once or twice a year I'd rather be prepared and not stuck with a blower that works most of the time but not that time where it really counts.

So, back to the topic at hand. Is there a similar snowblower to be found in the US for around the same price?
Replies: 12 - 21 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
alexsha

Re: Canadian Snowblowers are better?
Reply #12   Dec 15, 2009 12:08 pm
I would agree that I should see less snow than some areas of the country. I have some fun problems that I'm running into that make me still consider the 2-stage route to be better.

1) Both my wife and I work and leave early and get home late. At most I barely have time to shovel my car a path out to the street.
2) The street I live on is rarely plowed and snow builds up. When it does get plowed, they do the far side first then come around to my side and put a wall of slush, ice, snow, etc into my driveway. The driver p;lows about 6~8 feet from the curb on my side. Nice guy. Really.
3) Along with this, my mailbox gets buried and I have to clear it for the mail deliverer. I feel bad for them where I live. You can se their tire tracks as they have to plow into the snow banks to get to the boxes.
4) I hate plastic. Nothing durable should be made out of plastic. If they made a single-stage with a metal shell, I'd be more inclined to consider it. It's probably a personal quirk, but everything plastic I've used in the cold ends up breaking very quickly. I don't want to buy something that I'll have to replace or repair just after the warranty expires because some plastic bit broke.

In the end, I only want to have to make 1 purchase and have it last a long time. I can maintain power equipment just fine as long as it's well build and isn't going to fall apart under normal use. I'm totally fine buying something a little overkill for those 1 or 2 times a year when it would come in handy.

One last thing I need to consider is that I do not need an electric start. I don't want to run an extension cord from inside my house to start a snowblower. Every single box store and dealer around here has all the single stage blowers with electric start. All the non seem to be special order even though they're $150+ cheaper. If I have to pay $800ish for a single stage w/ electric start, to me there's nothing wrong with paying $1000 for a dual-stage.
borat

Reply #13   Dec 15, 2009 1:41 pm
There's not a snow ball's chance in hell that I'm getting out of bed every two hours to clear my driveway because my single stage can't handle 18" of snow. Don't understand that thinking at all. I'm also retired and home 24/7 when I'm not out of the country on vacation for a few weeks during winter. When we get a big storm, I just sit it out and watch the show as others go out there even with two stage snow throwers, trying to stay ahead of the dump. We have to get one hell of an accumulation for me even to have second thoughts of going out while the storm is still in progress. Nope. if we're getting a big blast, I'll let it accumulate to three feet before I take out the Simplicity unless it's really heavy wet stuff. Then I'll tackle it when it's half that amount. If you live in an area where big dumps of heavy snow can occur, you're better off with a dual stage with plenty of power.
Waterloo

Reply #14   Dec 16, 2009 7:05 am
borat wrote:
There's not a snow ball's chance in hell that I'm getting out of bed every two hours to clear my driveway because my single stage can't handle 18" of snow. Don't understand that thinking at all. I'm also retired and home 24/7 when I'm not out of the country on vacation for a few weeks during winter. When we get a big storm, I just sit it out and watch the show as others go out there even with two stage snow throwers, trying to stay ahead of the dump. We have to get one hell of an accumulation for me even to have second thoughts of going out while the storm is still in progress. Nope. if we're getting a big blast, I'll let it accumulate to three feet before I take out the Simplicity unless it's really heavy wet stuff. Then I'll tackle it when it's half that amount. If you live in an area where big dumps of heavy snow can occur, you're better off with a dual stage with plenty of power.

I don't get out of bed every two hours to do anything. I'll let it build up like you do and hit it then. If it is a huge snow fall, I still have a medium frame 26" 2 stage for that but really do not expect to use it but she is ready to go if need be. Now the Simplicity large frame I had was great when I did come home after being gone for a week and had 4 foot drifts and all sorts of crap in the yard. But, in my case, I am home now and can wake up in the morning after the snow fall and not kill myself removing it.

Not knowing what the op was faced with, and now we know, it sounds like a 2 stage would be a better choice.
borat

Reply #15   Dec 16, 2009 10:21 am
Yeah. Good idea having a two stage for back up. You must have a good size garage to house three snow throwers!
alexsha

Reply #16   Dec 16, 2009 11:55 am
I don't think I'll need multiple snowblowers for backup. One should do nicely.

I just spent an hour last night digging out my mailbox. Probably would have been done in 10 minutes with a good snowblower.

I think we really need à la carte snowblowers. Pick your type (single-stage, dual-stage), pick your engine size, pick your frame size, add on accessories. Just pay for what you need. It'll never happen though. I really think the Ariens 24 Deluxe would be perfect if it just had the wheel lock trigger like all the other bigger Deluxe. Bad omission on Ariens' part.
bdresch

Reply #17   Dec 16, 2009 12:31 pm
alexsha wrote:
I don't think I'll need multiple snowblowers for backup. One should do nicely.

I just spent an hour last night digging out my mailbox. Probably would have been done in 10 minutes with a good snowblower.

I think we really need à la carte snowblowers. Pick your type (single-stage, dual-stage), pick your engine size, pick your frame size, add on accessories. Just pay for what you need. It'll never happen though. I really think the Ariens 24 Deluxe would be perfect if it just had the wheel lock trigger like all the other bigger Deluxe. Bad omission on Ariens' part.

Why not look at the Platinum Deluxe then?  From people I have talked to the automatic traction control works great and is a lot more convenient than the trigger lock, plus less cables/linkages to freeze up because the ATC is all internal.
Waterloo

Reply #18   Dec 16, 2009 1:18 pm
I'll agree with the trigger lock comment as I had that on the Simplicity, I really did not like it as it would engage at the worst times if I was not careful and give me a good jerk.
Waterloo

Reply #19   Dec 16, 2009 1:26 pm
borat wrote:
Yeah. Good idea having a two stage for back up. You must have a good size garage to house three snow throwers!

She is around 4.5 cars, stick built 2x6, insulated, finished, heated, cooled, with a 2nd story loft and 3 10ft doors. If it had plumbing I could rent out the upstairs as an apartment. Me and the neighbors built here a couple of years ago and saved a fortune over having a contractor come in so we went a little bigger, just paid for materials and beer, lots of beer. I really love the area around here and the neighbors, I feel very fortunate to live in such a place.
This message was modified Dec 16, 2009 by Waterloo
alexsha

Reply #20   Dec 16, 2009 1:30 pm
The more I keep looking, researching, and thinking, the more I'm inclined to go over my $1000ish budget. By what I understand, an Ariens snowblower could last me 10+ years (if not 2~3 times that according to some people). So if I spend a few hundred more I'll have all the higher end features for that amount of time.

Making me want to spend more is mean to my wife
Waterloo

Reply #21   Dec 16, 2009 3:11 pm
alexsha wrote:
The more I keep looking, researching, and thinking, the more I'm inclined to go over my $1000ish budget. By what I understand, an Ariens snowblower could last me 10+ years (if not 2~3 times that according to some people). So if I spend a few hundred more I'll have all the higher end features for that amount of time.

Making me want to spend more is mean to my wife

Spend the money now, get it over with. Take care of it and it should easily go 15 years with regular maint. Heck my little plastic Toro CCR2000 is 15+ years old, she is a little long in the tooth but still moves snow.
Replies: 12 - 21 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42