Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > John Deere 1130 SE

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Clay

John Deere 1130 SE
Original Message   Jan 7, 2009 1:07 pm
I did a search and found a few references to this machine but no answers.  Any one have one of these?  15.5 snow max engine, heated hand grips, 30" wide.  I can't find a listing for auger diameter or impeller diameter.  I called John Deere and the guy that was suppose to be the snow thrower expert didn't know either. 

What is the Easy Steer drive system?  The literature says: 

• Easy Steer® drive system giving continuous power to both wheels and auto speed adjustment
  • Is it similar to the Ariens auto differential? 

I've heard that the units are built by B&S which translates to Simplicity.  They do have cast iron gear cases like the Simplicity.  The chute control is different than the simplicity and so is the turning method so they are not exactly the same.  I'm trying to compare the Simplicity L1530E to the JD 1130SE.  Any help would be appreciated.

Rick

Replies: 162 - 171 of 333Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
    lanningjw

Re: John Deere 1130 SE
    Reply #162   Dec 15, 2009 9:47 am
    ccginmn wrote:
    I too purchased the John Deere 1130 SE and have just experienced the drive problem for the first time tonight (and second, third, and fourth times).  I was able to get mine to re engage after pulling and pushing it around a few times but definately not acceptable.  All of this after my initial fuel blockage problem. 

Last year's models came with a reservoir under the gas cap for adding fuel stabilizer.  The cap on the reservoir fell off into my gas tank and blocked the fuel line.  The manager of the lawn and garden dept at Lowes told me several people have had this problem and they would have John Deere take care of it right away.  They did free of charge and I walked away happy.  This all happened prior to "The Great Drive Problem" exlained earlier in this discussion. 

Anyways, I plan on taking my blower back to Lowes (Rogers, MN) tomorrow with this entire discussion printed out.  I see a few previous posters had to pay arond $200 to get this fixed as it wasn't covered under warranty.  That is total BS that I will not tolerate.

I wil give Lowes/John Deere a chance to fix this free of charge before I get too worked up.  I will let you know what happened later this week. 

Welcome to the forum CCGINMN, Go up to http://jddealer.deere.com/scharber/ across 101 from Lowes. They can fix your machine. They did the fix to mine and my friends 1130SE. Tell the service MGR that its slipping and you want both updates! My 1130SE blows snow great, but it has slipped 3 times so far even with the updates. It only lasted a few seconds but WTF is this all about. It slipped after about 1 hour of use in the first storms snow. It was only slipping in 2 gear and was not a issue because it worked after I moved it up to the 3 gear. I love the way this blower is able to scrap the driveway down to tar. Talk about torque, this motor in the deep compacted snow really seems to be more than able to take care of business. I took the blower down the road after the plow came through, down to the mail boxes. It kicked ass in the heavy snow. Seems to like to drink the 93 unleaded no ethanol. Went through almost a gallon with several uses. I did get the gas cap that shows gas level. Easy to move around while under power, Like that you can reverse in free wheel and pull the blower back. The reverse gearing is slow and weak.
    Swoods

I love all power equipment from lawn mowers to snow blowers. My favorite pieces of equipment are 2 cycle Lawn Boys.

Reply #163   Dec 15, 2009 10:10 am
    What does the clutch update consist of? 

Sean Woods
    ccginmn

Reply #164   Dec 15, 2009 10:43 am
    I just called the local John Deere dealership (Schaber & Sons) and they are aware of the problem and will fix it under warranty for free.  The dealer was even aware of the multiple posts on this website. 

I do love this blower when it is working properly.  It's just the right size to muscle around -another 50 pounds and it would be too big.  I am actually looking forward to our next significant snowfall.  Hopefully it doesn't happen for a week or so as mine will be in for repair.  I will let you know if I run into any more problems as I am very good at belly-aching.

Catt

Reply #165   Dec 15, 2009 10:48 am
    I'm not too surprised the slipping is still occuring.  Although Deere significantly improved the belt cover seal on the engine side, there is still a significant opening on the chute side.  When I removed my belt cover to see if water was getting into the belt area I definitely saw water and I know some of it was coming from that side.  If it gets on the pulley that drives the auger it will sling it around.  In addition, under the engine are many holes for mounting other engines.  I don't know if these are causing a problem but my concern would be melting snow running down the engine, getting underneath and then dripping into the chain case area.  At the very least my suggestion is to add the 1/2" foam on the chute side of the belt guard.  Beyond that, time will tell if other holes need to be closed.  I fully believe this can be solved, but it would have been better if Simpicity/Deere would have solved this.  Since I closed nearly every available opening, I will let everyone know if I have any slipping.  I just need it to snow so that I can play with my toy!

This message was modified Jan 22, 2010 by Catt
    Swoods

I love all power equipment from lawn mowers to snow blowers. My favorite pieces of equipment are 2 cycle Lawn Boys.

Reply #166   Dec 15, 2009 10:56 am
    Catt, you know, although the water seal problem is a bit of a pain in the a*#, it is sort of fun trying to solve it on our own.  Do you know what the clutch update is?  Someone previously mentioned that there are 2 updates.  I assume that the water seal kit is the one, but what is the other, clutch? 

Sean Woods
    Catt

Reply #167   Dec 15, 2009 11:19 am
    Swoods wrote:
    Catt, you know, although the water seal problem is a bit of a pain in the a*#, it is sort of fun trying to solve it on our own.  Do you know what the clutch update is?  Someone previously mentioned that there are 2 updates.  I assume that the water seal kit is the one, but what is the other, clutch? 

Swoods, I agree totally.  I'm not sure what the clutch update is.  Maybe Lanningjw can help with this question.
    lanningjw

Reply #168   Dec 15, 2009 12:10 pm
    Catt wrote:
    I'm not too surprised the slipping is still occuring.  Although Deere significantly improved the belt cover seal on the engine side, there is still a significant opening on the chute side.  When I removed my belt cover to see if water was getting into the belt area I definitely saw water and I know some of it was coming from that side.  If it gets on the pulley that drives the auger it will sling it around.  In addition, under the engine are many holes for mounting other engines.  I don't know if these are causing a problem but my concern would be melting snow running down the engine, getting underneath and then dripping into the chain case area.  At the very least my suggestion is to add the 1/2" foam on the chute side of the belt guard.  Beyond that, time will tell if other holes need to be closed.  I fully believe this can be solved, but it would have been better if Simpicity/Deere would have solved this.  Since I closed nearly every available opening, I will let everyone know if I have any slipping.  I just need it to snow so that I can play with my toy!

Catt, I am gonna do that fix also with the weather strip on the auger side, I can see the belts through it now, gotta be leaking snow in that area. Seems like a good idea. Did you put the glue side on the plastic or metal? Love the gas cap you showed in a earlier post. OEM parts work great. The blower start on the first pull, have not use the electric start. Will change oil when it gets the 5 hours on the engine, are you going with synthetic oil? I think it snowed more on the western edge of the TC than STP. Thanks for the picture,
    Catt

Reply #169   Dec 15, 2009 12:57 pm
    lanningjw wrote:
    Catt, I am gonna do that fix also with the weather strip on the auger side, I can see the belts through it now, gotta be leaking snow in that area. Seems like a good idea. Did you put the glue side on the plastic or metal? Love the gas cap you showed in a earlier post. OEM parts work great. The blower start on the first pull, have not use the electric start. Will change oil when it gets the 5 hours on the engine, are you going with synthetic oil? I think it snowed more on the western edge of the TC than STP. Thanks for the picture,

lanningjw, I used a black marker to draw a line on the plastic belt cover for reference.  Then I removed the cover and attached the foam glue side on the plastic.  I thought that if I need to replace the foam in the future, that I can take off the plastic belt guard and it might be a little easier to replace.  I will definitely use synthetic oil when I replace it.

This message was modified Dec 15, 2009 by Catt
    Swoods

Reply #170   Dec 16, 2009 7:37 am
    I mounted my cab last night.  I got the same JD branded model that Catt has.  It seems to be of good quality and should last a long time.  The hardest part  was properly adjusting it once it was on the machine.  In some positions the mounting brackets would get in the way of either the rod used to move the shoot or the carb choke knob.  I mounted mine a bit lower down the handles for my height.  I also mounted it pretty vertically so I can comfortably lean the machine back and it won't hit my head/face. 

I will probably spray it down with silicon spray.  The kind used to waterproof fabric/shoes. 

Does anyone know of silicon spray that doesn't cost $6.99 a can like the special kind for fabric?  Is there another type of silicon spray that is cheaper?  Catt, what type of silicon did you use to spray down the rest of your machine?  Maybe I'll use Rain-X on the windows too.  I just have to be a bit careful that I don't use anything that will damage the windows.  I don't want them to turn yellow or anything. 
    This message was modified Dec 16, 2009 by Swoods

Sean Woods
    borat

Reply #171   Dec 16, 2009 10:15 am
    Not sure why you think you need to spray and coat the cab. I've had the Classic Deluxe quick release model for almost three years now. Never put anything on it and it's doing fine. If the snow thrower/cab is stored inside, it's very unlikely to require any coatings. The sun isn't beating on it and any snow accumulated on it will soon melt and run off it it's warm enough. As far as snow sticking to the windows, when that happens, I just give them a tap to knock the snow off. I've never had condensation issues on the interior either. If you guys really want to do something effective with your machines, I suggest you line the chute with a piece of hard, durable, slippery plastic like Krazy Karpet. It will save wear and tear on the inside of the chute, prevent rusting and snow sticking. It doesn't hurt snow throwing distance either. I've done it to mine and so far, it's held up very well. I'd say it's probably good for ten or more years.
    Replies: 162 - 171 of 333Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
    Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
    AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
    Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
    Site by Take 42