Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 1028 help needed

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
JasV

Ariens 1028 help needed
Original Message   Dec 11, 2009 4:59 pm
Hi All,

My snowblower quit working correctly and I was hoping someone could give me some help.  The impeller turn just fine when engaged, but the auger does not turn.  The shaft turns, but just rotates in the gear box.  Sometimes it catches, and works for a few seconds, but then quits once it gets any snow in there.

I am in the process of taking things apart.  I am somewhat inexperienced mechanically, but competant for small repairs.  So I am trying to pull the auger and gearbox out of the machine.  I have disconnected the auger shaft at each side, but how do I loosen the impeller shaft to pull out the gearbox?

All help appreciated!  Thanks.
Replies: 3 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
JasV

Re: Ariens 1028 help needed
Reply #3   Dec 12, 2009 9:47 am
Thanks for the helpful replies.

I am sure there is an issue in/with the gear box.  I have watched the impeller and shaft go around and around with no movement in the rake.

There are times when I am able to spin the rake with no resistance at all and then there are times it seems to "catch" and is again tied to the impeller shaft.  Something is going on in there....

So, to remove the pulley/shaft....I have removed a small piece of housing which gives access to the pulley area, but it seems awfully hard to work in there... can anyone talk me through the pulley/shaft removal process?  Do I need any special tools? 

Both of you seem pretty knowledgable about this machine - I am generally someone who does things himself when at all possible, but am I biting off more than I can chew or is this project doable with some patience and time?

Thanks for your help!
Jason
trouts2

Reply #4   Dec 12, 2009 11:52 am
Snowman and I mentioned that you have to seperate the blower housing from the tractor section.   The procedure is not complicated and what I mentioned in the prior post.  The intake housing comes off very easily.  It's just a couple of bolts that hold it on.  They are on the top front of the tractor section.  That will allow the front part to seperate from the tractor, the section with the handles and wheels.  It won't fully seperate because the crank is attached to the chute - not positive because you did not post  your model and serial number as Snowman asked.  The reason is 1028 is a generic name and there are several styles of 1028.  Posting the factory model number and serial number will allow knowing just which model you have.  I'm guessing you have a newer model and not an old style but it's just a gues without knowing the factory number.

Once the bucket is seperated the rest is straight forwardk.  You have to take of the belt cover.  On seperating the bucket the belt will have to come off.  It will be loose to easy. Then you have access to the big pulley which must come off.  When you look at it you can see what to do.   After it's off, you have to unscrew the side flanges on the bucket which hold on the auger axle. 

You can get the owner, parts and service manuals at the Ariens site which describes the process.  You'll need your factory model and serial numbers.

JasV

Reply #5   Dec 12, 2009 1:34 pm
Trouts,

Thanks for the walk through.

Sorry I didn't post my model number - it is 924116.  I will check out the Ariens website.

Plan on working on the machine tomorrow. 

Thanks again,
Jason
JohnnyBoyUpNorth

Reply #6   Dec 12, 2009 4:26 pm
I've yet to be accused of being a genius, but did you check the shear pins?

Contents under pressure....
Replies: 3 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42