Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > John Deere 1130 SE

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Clay

John Deere 1130 SE
Original Message   Jan 7, 2009 1:07 pm
I did a search and found a few references to this machine but no answers.  Any one have one of these?  15.5 snow max engine, heated hand grips, 30" wide.  I can't find a listing for auger diameter or impeller diameter.  I called John Deere and the guy that was suppose to be the snow thrower expert didn't know either. 

What is the Easy Steer drive system?  The literature says: 

• Easy Steer® drive system giving continuous power to both wheels and auto speed adjustment
  • Is it similar to the Ariens auto differential? 

I've heard that the units are built by B&S which translates to Simplicity.  They do have cast iron gear cases like the Simplicity.  The chute control is different than the simplicity and so is the turning method so they are not exactly the same.  I'm trying to compare the Simplicity L1530E to the JD 1130SE.  Any help would be appreciated.

Rick

Replies: 147 - 156 of 333Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
    borat

Re: John Deere 1130 SE
    Reply #147   Dec 10, 2009 9:52 am
    Yo Catt: Does that cab have quick release capability. The Classic Deluxe is secured by two quick release pins.
    Catt

Reply #148   Dec 10, 2009 10:16 am

Borat,  It's supposed to have quick release pins,  but I haven't received it yet.  It's also supposed to be made by Classic with a custom fit for the Deere.

Swoods

I love all power equipment from lawn mowers to snow blowers. My favorite pieces of equipment are 2 cycle Lawn Boys.

Reply #149   Dec 10, 2009 2:48 pm
    Catt,  I just ordered the same cab from the Rungreen.com website that you mentioned.  I like that it has the pockets inside.   I had the headlight burn out already.  When I went to the store to get a new one, it turns out it is a foglight bulb. 

I just wish I had a bigger driveway now.  At least I can keep it in 1st gear to make the job last longer :)  I love mowing (with 2 cycle Lawn Boys), and this is the next best thing.

This message was modified Dec 19, 2009 by Swoods

Sean Woods
    Catt

Reply #150   Dec 11, 2009 6:32 pm

My cab was delivered today.  It was definitely made by Classic.  I assembled the cab and now need to mount it on the 1130.  I think I'm going to make a couple of modifications because it seems a little high and I'm not very tall.  It will depend if it easily fits under the garage door.  I may re-locate the headlight too.  It has a somewhat easy off system but uses set screws.  I will most likely change these too.  Overall I think it will work very well for me.  Next I need to get an extra garage door opener for the included pouches.

Swoods

I love all power equipment from lawn mowers to snow blowers. My favorite pieces of equipment are 2 cycle Lawn Boys.

Reply #151   Dec 12, 2009 9:16 am
    Catt,

Let me know about your modifications.  I love tinkering around with things to fit my own purpose.  I will probably have to lower my cab too.  I'm 5'9" and the pics I have seen make it look like it's 7' tall.  On another note, I have begun using WD-40 for rust prevention.  I bought a gallon can and a spray bottle.  I sprayed the auger and down the shoot as well as all the bare metal parts of the machine.....bolts, rods, etc.  I also waxed all of the painted surfaces. 

How is everyone's machines doing now that winter is upon us? 

Sean Woods
    aa335

Reply #152   Dec 12, 2009 12:17 pm
    The cabs are designed to be quite a bit higher than the typical operator in case you need to tip the snowblower back, the top of the cab doesn't hit your head.  Try tipping the snowblower back about 30-45 degrees and see if you still have headroom.  If there is extra headroom, lower it as necessary. 
    aa335

Reply #153   Dec 12, 2009 12:18 pm
    Catt wrote:

Next I need to get an extra garage door opener for the included pouches.

Great idea.  I just bought an extra transmitter for this exact purpose.  :)  I got the keychain one and will fasten it to the frame so I don't drop it in the snow. 
    This message was modified Dec 12, 2009 by aa335
    Catt

Reply #154   Dec 12, 2009 12:55 pm
    I put my cab on the 1130 today.  I was very surprised that I didn't need to do any significant modifications.  I'm 5'8" (and shrinking) and I have about 2" of clearance under the garage door to the top of the cab.  The cab comes with a set of extensions for tall people that I didn't use.  One of the supports is a little bit in front of the headlight but it doesn't make any difference in light output.  I adjusted the headlight in the garage with the lights off and aimed it at the garage door to be sure.  I did replace the allen set screws with thumb screws and wingnuts.  The wingnuts are to make sure the thumb screws don't vibrate out.  The thumb screws have a 5/16-18 thread pitch.  The set screw holes seem to be metric so I ran a tap through the holes and it works great.

This message was modified Jan 22, 2010 by Catt
    Catt

Reply #155   Dec 12, 2009 1:09 pm
    Swoods wrote:
    On another note, I have begun using WD-40 for rust prevention.  I bought a gallon can and a spray bottle.  I sprayed the auger and down the shoot as well as all the bare metal parts of the machine.....bolts, rods, etc.  I also waxed all of the painted surfaces. 

How is everyone's machines doing now that winter is upon us? 

I used silicone spray on everything including the plastic parts.  I might use WD-40 on the auger parts just to make sure.  I really like the 1130 and look forward to more snow. 
    Catt

Reply #156   Dec 14, 2009 7:55 pm
    How is everyone's 1130 working with the upgrades for sealing the belt guard?  I pulled the belt guard cover off and noticed some water in the chain case area even with these upgrades.  I decided that wasn't going to happen in the future.   I went a significant step further to make sure no water/snow gets onto the disc.  OK this is probably overkill but I was having fun playing with my Deere.  I can post larger pictures if needed.

Here is what I did...

This is 1/2" gray closed cell foam that I attached to the belt guard on the side next to the chute to seal this side.

Here is the belt guard installed with the foam attached. This was a pretty large opening before I added the foam.

I used silicone on every open hole on each side next to the tires.  I used a trouble light and looked for any light coming into the chain case. 

Under the engine are several holes which I assume are used to mount other engines.  I used silicone on these.  I was surprised how much light was coming through under the engine.  This looks like a water dripping area to me.

I used both 1/4" and 1/2" gray closed cell foam to outline the area for the lower chain case metal cover.  The front part of the lower cover has a very large gap.  Not anymore!

The lower chain case cover has several holes to drain any water.  I left these open as I want to make sure any water that gets in will have a way to drain out.

Silicone...

This message was modified Jan 22, 2010 by Catt
    Replies: 147 - 156 of 333Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
    Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
    AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
    Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
    Site by Take 42