Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > husqvana snow blowers

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jack

husqvana snow blowers
Original Message   Nov 28, 2009 2:17 pm
i don't see to many discussions for husky's. i have an 8527sbe and it's built pretty solid. i like the fact that it has metal rods instead of wires for the the operation of the machine. it has a b&s ohv engine. got it on a tax free day in mass 3 years ago. paid 800.00 bucks for it. how do husky's compare to the big names.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 20NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
snowmachine

Re: husqvana snow blowers
Reply #1   Nov 28, 2009 7:04 pm
I wish my Craftsman (Husky clone) had solid rods but the cables worked well enough for me last winter. I keep mine in a heated shed so freeze ups aren't a problem. jack wrote:
i don't see to many discussions for husky's. i have an 8527sbe and it's built pretty solid. i like the fact that it has metal rods instead of wires for the the operation of the machine. it has a b&s ohv engine. got it on a tax free day in mass 3 years ago. paid 800.00 bucks for it. how do husky's compare to the big names.
Mine is closely related to a 10527SB but with a 30" intake, B&S 1450 series engine, standard drift cutters and 16" x 6.5" tires
This message was modified Nov 28, 2009 by snowmachine
sport

Reply #2   Nov 29, 2009 12:08 am
I have a Poulan PR624ES which is basically a black version of the Husqvarna's (the shipping crate only said Husqvarna on it).  The reason that I chose it was purely financial.  I wanted to get an Ariens but they were out of my range.  For the price that I was looking at this was by far the best built one.  One of the guys that I work with has a Poulan and had nothing bad to say about it.  I have used mine in two early storms this year and have no complaints.

Sport

borat

Reply #3   Nov 29, 2009 10:37 am
Husky and Craftsman come from the same plant. Sounds like there's a good possibility that Poulan may as well. I've owned Craftsman machines for twenty years. With moderate maintenance, they'll last a good long time. Myself and my neighbour bought exactly the same model of Craftsman 10/29 snow throwers twelve years ago. After ten years of hard use, mine was beginning to show a bit of cracking at the welds on the auger/impeller housing joint. Two years ago, I decided it was time to buy a new machine. When I started doing some comparison shopping, I found that the Toro was ridiculously priced, Ariens was also too much money for what they were offering. Cub Cadet was also over the top price wise. It was obvious that the brand name-automatic-price-gouge phenomena was in effect on those models. I went to Sears and looked over some of their machines and they had a couple I found interesting but they too were fairly pricy for Craftsman machines. If I recall correctly, the Craftsman I looked at (10 h.p. B&S engine with hydrostatic drive) was around $1700.00 before taxes. It's a nice machine alright but almost $2000.00 for a Craftsman? Don't think so. It was still early fall so I went for a ride out in the country on my KLR650. I ended up going through this little rural village that had a farm implements/tractor/hardware store right on their main street. I pulled in to see what they had. The old guy behind the counter said they only had one machine left over from the previous season stored out back in an old shipping container. We went and looked at it and I was a little confused because I'd never heard of Simplicity before. After giving it a good look over, I was thoroughly impressed with it's build quality and features. It was a brand new 95/28. He said that he'd be willing to give me a break off of it's $1700.00 price tag. I asked him how much. He said $1500.00. I said is that out the door? He agreed. Now that's a bargain. . Just about any snow thrower can do moderate work and last a long time provided it get's proper maintenance. What I learned is that the Simplicity will shine when the others begin to falter. I can work with the Simplicity with much less fatigue than I could with my Craftsman machines. When the condition get extreme (30" wet snow for example) the Simplicity can handle it. You can get the job done with a Craftsman/Husky/Poulan (AYP) but you will be paying a premium in effort and time. I know that from first hand experience.
snowmachine

Reply #4   Nov 29, 2009 11:39 am
Borat, In a lot of ways I wish I would've looked around more before purchasing the unit I did. I was definitely a green horn when it came to snow blowers. The problem in my area is that no one stocks them in Western Washington so no opportunity to feel and touch. I didn't find this site until after the purchase. I know… I should have waited. Hindsight doesn't do me anything good now but if this one ever fails me in future I will probably pick up a Simplicity, JD or Honda. This assumes the quality of those have not deteriorated to the level of a current day MTD product. I service all my own equipment and would be willing to learn a little welding if necessary to keep this one together. You probably utilize your blower 10x more than I have the opportunity for. I would hope with my minimal use it should last me a long time. Like all my equipment I always do a pre & post inspection of my equipment. I'm a stickler for draining carbs/tanks when not in use, always using fuel stabilizer in everything and lubing everything with a wear point. This one seems to do alright with deeper wet snow. I usually have to plow out 2-3 feet whenever I get to my cabin. I think if I had to deal with hard EOD's it wouldn't be the best for that since it has a less aggressive auger and the housing is a thinner steel that would likely flex quite a bit in the really hard stuff. I see the landowner series Husky's have 40% thicker auger housing steel. EDIT: Here is a video I took last January of it in action---> http://tinyurl.com/yztaxld
This message was modified Nov 29, 2009 by snowmachine
borat

Reply #5   Nov 29, 2009 12:48 pm
I'll tell ya snowmachine, you're more progressive than me. Hell, took me over twenty years to figure out that there might be something better out there. Live and learn. By the way, my neighbour's 12 year old Craftsman is still hanging in. It's seen it's share of abuse too. Last April 1st, after we had the 30" of snow, quite a few of us on the street started digging out around the same time. I had my driveway cleared then went to the assistance of a woman two doors up. Her driveway is similar to mine and the neighbour right beside me. Actually, hers and mine are a bit bigger than the neighbour with the Craftsman. I had my driveway and her driveway finished then helped the guy next door do the end of driveway snow. It was actually kind of funny. The old Craftsman's 10 h.p. Tecumseh L head was barking and pounding away just to get the snow a couple feet past the snow thrower. My Simplicity was plastering the light poles with wet sticky snow two thirds of the way up. It sure took a good flogging that day. I know it's not a fair comparison between a two year old and a twelve year old machine. However, the lady I helped out had her four year old 11 h.p., 29" Craftsman parked in the snow at the bottom of the driveway out of fuel. I tried to do her driveway with it and parked it after one pass. The Simplicity was just that much easier to use and much more efficient moving heavy snow.
Yamama

Reply #6   Dec 1, 2009 10:23 pm
You know, Borat, sometimes you love to just thow out these statements like it's some sort of confirmed forgone conclusion.

Simplicity  is not the ONLY machine out there worth it's money!  You might think so cause you own one and have had good success.  But don't try and mislead  everyone.   Your statement that Husky and Craftsman are made in the same plant implys they are the same quality. That's like saying Cadillac and Chevy are the same.  How do you know for a fact that Husky and Craftsman are made in the same plant?

borat

Reply #7   Dec 1, 2009 11:02 pm
Yomama said: "How do you know for a fact that Husky and Craftsman are made in the same plant?" Do some research. If you do, you might think twice before making inflammatory comments and challenging others without knowing any better yourself. I'm certain that there will be more participants here to confirm that Husqvarna and Craftsman machines come off the same line albeit with a different paint job.
borat

Re: husqvana snow blowers - Yomama more info for you
Reply #8   Dec 2, 2009 1:21 pm
Yo, Yomama: or is that YOYOMA? Here's a link that will give you some information regarding Husqvarna products built by AYP. The same outfit that manufactures Craftsman and many others.............. http://www.m-and-d.com/scan/MM=e85a40c54eb2de8fc034e4c54ba20a57:550:599:50.html?mv_more_ip=1&mv_nextpage=AYP%2dSears&pf=sql&id=9kFDj7Sq&mv_arg=
Yamama

Reply #9   Dec 2, 2009 2:18 pm
You're such a jerk Borat. To imply that  you know from ready   something, somewhere on the internet that the augers in a Husky are the same ones or   quality that are in a Craftsman, only a different color because AYP owns both is stupid. 

I like facts based on proof when making a decision on purchasing a product, not facts based on assumptions.

Calling me YOYOma just shows me you resent being challenged on anything you say.

Everyone else, my advise is that if you want to find out about how good or bad the Husquvarna     snowblowers are,  make it a point to actually go see   them, and take Borat's words of wisdom with a grain of salt.

Yamama

Reply #10   Dec 2, 2009 3:22 pm
I wrote  to Husqvarna and asked them to give me some facts on their blowers, and here is their response:

Discussion Thread
 Response (Richard Haynes)12/02/2009 03:01 PM

Husqvarna owns Craftsman and Poulan. However, the Husqvarna line of snow blowers have different features. The Husqvarna blowers have improved control levers and contact grips. The engine pulley has been strengthened to a split steel design and is reinforced welded 360 degree. Belt tension has been improved for longer belt life. Drive gears strengthened. Impeller pulley has been strengthened. Stronger impeller blades The shear bolt design has been improved. The impeller housing is thicker and reinforced

So for anyone out there looking at buying a snowblower, I hope you find this info more beneficial than Husky is a Craftsman in sheeps clothing.

Replies: 1 - 10 of 20NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42