Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Chainsaw starting

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
vgl58

Chainsaw starting
Original Message   Nov 25, 2009 12:13 pm
Ive been dealing with the issue on how to run a chainsaw after it has been started and am hoping someone on here has the answer, is it necessary to run a chainsaw at high idle after it is started? I have heard that it is not a good thing to do with the chainsaw due to it needs to be under a load to run at high idle. Can someone please clarify this, thanks.
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
borat

Re: Chainsaw starting
Reply #1   Nov 25, 2009 5:36 pm
Your question is a little vague. Nonetheless, I'll try to answer your question. When a chainsaw is started cold, usually with the choke on, it will rev fairly high until it warms up and if the choke is left on, it will soon stall. When the choke is turned off (usually automatically after engaging the throttle) the engine should idle at around 1500 to 2000 rpm when the throttle is released. When beginning to make a cut, it's best to rev the saw to maximum rpm and start cutting immediately. The saw is designed to spin a high rpms but it's not something you should be doing unnecessarily with no load. I mean, why would rev the crap out of it for no reason?
vgl58

Reply #2   Nov 25, 2009 6:06 pm
Borat, thanks for your replay. I guess I will try to make this a little more clear. I am a firefighter and have been for about 10 years now. When I first started on the job we were told it is not wise to run a chainsaw at full throttle when it is not on a load. Reason being is that they are made to run at high idle and not just sit and idle for a period of time. We used to have a problem with gunking of the motors and since the practice has changed we have noticed a huge reduction in this. Well we now have some new individuals here who claim they have read the manual and it does not state that it needs to be run on a load when running at high idle. So on our morning rig checks we always check all of our tools and some people start these saws up and have them running at high idle for about 30 secs thinking this is the right thing to do. Im just trying to clarify this so I can pass along the proper information.
borat

Reply #3   Nov 25, 2009 8:19 pm
Running the engine wide open for 30 seconds is neither necessary nor recommended. A second or two at max rpm is sufficient to ensure that the saw will run at that speed. Keeping it pegged there does nothing for the machine. Today's two stroke engines with their modern electronic ignition and stronger spark as well as leaner oil to fuel ratios reduce spark plug fouling and carbon build up in the engine. If the saws are being fired up for testing purposes, I'd start the engine, let it idle for maybe a minute then run it up to max rpms once or twice then shut it off. I cannot understand why anyone would want to run a chainsaw wide open for 30 seconds if not actually working with it. Just doesn't make sense. Ask them if they do the same with their cars?
friiy

Reply #4   Nov 25, 2009 9:39 pm
Well, I agree with Borat....

But also there is a saftey reason not to rev the motor.......I think if you are a firefighter you are using Carbide chains right?  These chains even though they are good to cut with are brittle on the cutting teeth (just like a carbide drill bit)...  Overspeeding is possible of the Chain , Clutch ,clutch bearings and bar tip sprocket.   Any failure of these could result in a thrown chain..  Carbide teeth when they  impact  something they chip and shatter, not to mention what damage a slung chain can do... 

Friiy

borat

Reply #5   Nov 26, 2009 10:21 am
friiy wrote:
Well, I agree with Borat....

But also there is a saftey reason not to rev the motor.......I think if you are a firefighter you are using Carbide chains right?  These chains even though they are good to cut with are brittle on the cutting teeth (just like a carbide drill bit)...  Overspeeding is possible of the Chain , Clutch ,clutch bearings and bar tip sprocket.   Any failure of these could result in a thrown chain..  Carbide teeth when they  impact  something they chip and shatter, not to mention what damage a slung chain can do... 

Friiy

Actually Friiy, the safety aspect completely eluded me. I've read reports that when a chain breaks, the whiplash effect at the end of the chain can throw a link with such velocity that it can easily kill a person. That's probably the best reason for not revving the engine with no load.
This message was modified Nov 26, 2009 by borat
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42