Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > greasing auger shaft assembly: how much and how often?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Craig24

greasing auger shaft assembly: how much and how often?
Original Message   Nov 18, 2009 8:25 am
I learned from the Ariens independent retailer that I should use a grease gun to lubricate the auger shaft assembly through the zerk fittings. How often do I need to do this? How much grease do I need to put in and how will I know when I have put in enough? I don't want to put in too much.

My apologies for these newbie questions. Thanks in advance for your advice.

--C
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
borat

Re: greasing auger shaft assembly: how much and how often?
Reply #1   Nov 18, 2009 10:55 am
Once a season is usually enough. Use a good quality, water resistant grease. Snowmobile grease is very good. Hook up the grease gun to each fitting and keep pumping until you see grease start to ooze out at either end of the auger shaft. Sometime it will come out at both ends sometimes not. If you see it coming out one end, give a couple more pumps. If it does not come out the other end, that's not a problem. As long as you see it come at one end, the job's done.
INGuy

Reply #2   Nov 18, 2009 11:23 am
To add to that, you might want to remove the shear pins while greasing so you can freely spin the auger shaft to get the grease evenly spread around inside there.
Craig24

Reply #3   Nov 18, 2009 4:31 pm
Thanks for the advice!  The manual recommends Ariens Hi-Temp Grease, but I definitely will look into snowmobile grease as well.

--C
borat

Reply #4   Nov 18, 2009 8:11 pm
Craig24 wrote:
Thanks for the advice!  The manual recommends Ariens Hi-Temp Grease, but I definitely will look into snowmobile grease as well.<BR><BR>--C

Hi temp grease for the auger shaft? That sound a little weird. The shaft is in constant contact with snow, and there is no heat/friction involved between the auger drive shafts and auger tubes due to the fact that they're both pinned together with shear bolts/pins and turning at the same speed in the same direction.
Craig24

Reply #5   Nov 19, 2009 8:05 am
Perhaps I misread the manual.  I will check again on the recommended grease.  Either way, it is good to know that snowmobile grease is an option.  Thanks again.

--C
nolimitz

Reply #6   Nov 19, 2009 8:29 am
I use marine grease. Easy to find in any auto parts shop and probably cheaper than anything that says snowmobile!
This message was modified Nov 19, 2009 by nolimitz
INGuy

Reply #7   Nov 19, 2009 9:14 am
I bought a used Ariens and my manual also recommends the Stens (Ariens) Mix Hi-Temp grease.  I went ahead and purchased the Stens, assuming this is what was originally used and not wanting to mix grease types, before I discovered that Stens brand is owned by Ariens Company.  Take a look at the fine print at the bottom of Ariens website to see this.  Anyway, that being said, I suspect that is the reason Ariens is recommending "Hi-Temp" grease for an application that creates virtually no heat.  It's likely the Hi-Temp rating is overkill for the auger shafts, but I'll use it since I have it on hand now.  Just my 2 cents, fwiw.
This message was modified Nov 19, 2009 by INGuy
borat

Reply #8   Nov 19, 2009 9:48 am
Bacon fat will work for that application if it's all you have. All it has to do is keep rust from forming between the two surfaces. I sure wouldn't be paying for premium grease to put in there.

I suggested snowmobile grease because it's good for other applications on the machine. Wheel axles, control rod pivots etc. It's pretty much the same price if bought from any place other than a snowmobile dealership. I agree that marine grease will work just as well. I doubt that there's much difference between snowmobile grease and marine grease. Bottom line is that you want a grease that will resist being washed off with water and won't harden in cold temps.
friiy

Reply #9   Nov 19, 2009 11:30 am
AreoShell 7..... Good for -55 degrees in a wet use area.....

Friiy
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42