Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > is a toro r-tek a briggs?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
philipl

is a toro r-tek a briggs?
Original Message   Nov 12, 2009 7:41 am
hi all,

i just got my first snow thrower! a toro Power Clear 221QR, i paid $300 for a slightly used one.

one thing is confusing me, is the toro r-tek engine that i have in my thrower a briggs & stratton? it came with a briggs manual to confuse the situation more.

here are my specs:

Specifications

Model #: 38583
Capacity/Minute Up to 1700 lbs
Throw Distance Up to 30’
Clearing Width 21”
Engine Toro R*Tek 2-Cycle
Displacement 141 cc... 5.5 HP
Starter Recoil
Fuel Capacity 1.1 Quarts
Ignition Electronic
Compression Release Standard
Governor Air-Vane
Auger System Power Curve System
Auger or Rotor Type Rubber Paddles (2)
Chute Control Quick Shoot w/ Zip deflector
Drive System Power Propel Self-Propel
Tires 7” x 1.5”
Folding handle Standard
Cut Depth - 1 Pass 12.5”
Weight w/ Recoil 74 lbs

After spending countless hours trying to research it i can't seem to find the correct answer. Some people say its made in china and an exact copy of a briggs, some people say it is a briggs and that toro started putting them in due to EPA regulations.

What is the honest answer?

cheers!
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
borat

Re: is a toro r-tek a briggs?
Reply #1   Nov 12, 2009 10:14 am
I checked out the Briggs site. They list two 2-cycle engines but they look exactly the same. The specifications are a bit weird as well. They show the engine as having side valves?
By the looks of the info you provided and the sketchy details provided by B&S I'd venture to say your R*Tek engine is a B&S. Check this link:

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/engine_power/details.aspx?pid=87

Briggs could improve their site considerably. Very hard to find any "real" info on their two cycle engines. I didn't spend hours but even trying to track down an on line manual for that engine seems difficult.
philipl

Reply #2   Nov 12, 2009 1:03 pm
Great!

thanks, i'll look into it.

Also, tonight when i do a tune up on her, i check the serial number to see if it matches a briggs.

cheers
borat

Reply #3   Nov 12, 2009 5:24 pm
Tune up? Tune up what?

Clean the spark plug, put a couple ounces of SeaFoam in the tank and wait for the snow. I doubt that it has an air filter to clean.

Two stroke engines are marvels of simplicity. Light, powerful and very simply designed. Not much to do on them if they're running well. Normally, a two cycle engine will run all of it's useful life with virtually no problems. When problems to arise, it usually shows up in for form of power loss or a screaming run away. if it's power loss, a top end job is required. That means new rings at minimum and possibly an oversized piston/rings and cylinder overbore/hone. Chances are, you'll never have to get it done. The engine, if fed properly mixed fuel and an occasional splash of SeaFoam will likely never see enough service to have to need it. If the engines runs away (uncontrollable over-revving), that means there's an air leak somewhere in the fuel intake system or leaking crank seals. If it's crank seals, the engine bottom end will have to be checked out. Other than that, unless you have catastrophic failure, it should run for a good long time without problems and virtually no maintenance.

Remember, back in the late 50s, 60s and 70s, two stroke engines powered motorcycles that ran for many thousands of miles with very little maintenance. Many of them are still around today. I have several of them. I've already restored two and have a third one in my garage being restored. It's a 1974 RD350. The engine looks like it's never been apart and compression is still at factory specs at over 120 psi on both cylinders. I cleaned the carbs, hooked up a temporary fuel supply and it fired up on the second kick. That's a 35 year old machine. Gotta love those two cycles.
clint

Reply #4   Nov 12, 2009 5:50 pm
What is the honest answer?
Briggs bought the R tek engine several years ago from Toro.
Toro got it from Lawnboy 10 years previous too that.

superbuick

Reply #5   Nov 13, 2009 9:31 am
As stated above - The R*Tek IS a briggs motor, but not designed by briggs.

Lawnboy designed it as the Duraforce. (this is good - Lawn Boy's entire history is based on designing 2 stroke engines for OPE and Marine use)

Toro bought Lawnboy.

Toro took the motor and renamed the piston-ported version of it (used in snowblowers) the R*Tek (stands for RELIABLE TECHNOLOGY).

Toro sold the engine design/rights to Briggs, who now manufactures it.

You'll also quickly find out that the ratings on your new snowblower are extremely conservative. The R*Tek makes an easy 7hp (or more) and that blower will throw more than 1700lbs/minute.
This message was modified Nov 13, 2009 by superbuick
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42