Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Long Island Snowblower suggestions?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
abbey

Long Island Snowblower suggestions?
Original Message   Nov 9, 2009 1:54 pm
I hope you can help me choose a snowblower for Long Island.

I am only a hundred and twenty pounds and need to clear a paved driveway that is about 20 x 60 feet and a walkway of about 50 feet.
Part of the driveway slopes- during the first 40 feet it slopes down about 2 feet.
When the street is plowed the plow pushs the snow to the side as it passes.  This leaves a compacted ridge of snow at the bottom of the driveway.

Snowfall on Long Island is modest.  We average about 30 inches total for the winter.  A heavy year would be about 50.  We usually get  about 5 snowfalls in the 3-5 inch range, a couple in the 8 inch range, and maybe one or two in the 8-12 range.  It is unusual to get anything deeper.  The ridge from the plow is of course always deeper and more compacted.

I understand that a single stage, like one of the Toro models would be just fine and easy to use on light snow.  But I wonder if the ridge from the plows would be a problem.  I also understand the two stage machines leave a thin layer on the ground.  If I understand correctly, the single stage is liked better for light snow, two stage is preferrer with heavy or deeper snow.  But roughly speaking, how many inches is "light"?  Where, very roughly,  is the line where the two stage becomes easier to use?    What about slush or icing?

For my conditions and situation, how would you decide between a single and dual stage machine, and which would you choose?

Features:
I prefer a 4 stroke, electric start engine.  
What would be a good width?
What other features are important?

Is maintenance more or less with a single vs a two stage?  

What Brands would you recommend?

Thanks for reading, and hopefully for a reply,
Abbey
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Adamj

Re: Long Island Snowblower suggestions?
Reply #1   Nov 9, 2009 7:27 pm
Where I live I find the single stage snow blowers are good but not that good with heavy and wet snow. I prefer 4 stroke engines because of the power. Since you have a big driveway and sidewalk I would go with a 30” snow blower for Ariens.

An Ariens Deluxe Sno-Thro these machines have an all metal construction which is very nice so you do not have plastic that will break. The engine is a 305cc OHV 1450 series Briggs & Stratton; this model has 120 volt electric start with recoil back-up, 2.9 quart fuel capacity, 6 forward speeds / 2 reverse speeds, powerful halogen headlight. Nice paint job resistant to weather conditions.

Structure:

• 30” clearing width
• 21” housing height
• 3’ – 50’ throwing distance depending on snow conditions
• 200° 2.5x ice drill Manuel chute control
• Dual handle interlock system
• Reversible skid shoes
• Standard clean-out tool
• All steel construction

Internal System:

• Heavy duty aluminum XS gear case
• Steel serrated auger
• Three blade, 14” steel impeller
• Remote locking axle

Tread Control:

• 15” x 5” directional snow tread tires

Accessories:

• Front weight kit
• Composite skid shoes for concrete
• Drift Cutters
• Protective cab
• Exclusive Ariens Sno Thro cover

Good Luck
Adam
This message was modified Nov 9, 2009 by Adamj
borat

Reply #2   Nov 9, 2009 8:28 pm
In my experience, the driveway description doesn't warrant a 30" snow thrower. My drive way is close to three times the size and I live in central Canada where we get tons of snow. As a matter of fact, the last snow fall we received March 31st, we had 30" of wet snow dumped on us. I use a 1428 Simplicity which handles my requirements easily. Being that the OP is fairly small, I wouldn't recommend a 30" snow thrower. II'm substantially larger, and in fairly good shape. For the OP, a 30" machine would be a bit or a wrestling match even with light snow.

For that driveway, a smaller 24" two stage with six to eight h.p. would be more than enough. Depending on how much you want to pay, just about any brand will get the job done and considering you have minimal annual snow fall, even an inexpensive MTD/Craftsman/Cub Cadet etc. will last you a very long time with a little maintenance. I know that if I were is your situation, I wouldn't be spending a bundle on a snow thrower. One of the above mentioned two stage snow throwers shouldn't be much over $600.00 if you shop around for a bargain. Something like this will probably do you just fine.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07188957000P?vName=Lawn+%26+Garden&cName=Snow+Removal+Equipment&sName=Snow+Throwers%2C+Gas
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=12082290&findingMethod=rr#ProductDetail
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #3   Nov 9, 2009 9:02 pm
I agree with Borat. I am 5'10'' 200lbs and have enough fun with my 24" 5 hp. My situation is a little different because I have a small drive (after the tempo) of about 12 x 22. But I have a narrow passage from the garage through the tempo, past the cars to get to the driveway. I also have a 12 ft hedge along one side of the drive and a huge fir tree on the other side. This means I have to try to shoot most of the snow into a narrow strip along the curb on both sides of the drive (if we have a big snow I try to beat the plow & blow it into the street, shhhh). Then I have to clear a small walk 75' around to the back of the house & up a ramp  to clear a 22 x 16 deck for the dog (a yorkshire)!

So think of where you will keep the blower & how you will actually clear your snow & where you will blow it.  For me, wrestling anything bigger than 26" would be out of the question, unless you come straight out of the garage, down the drive, then back in. But I would opt for the 8 hp rather than the 6 for the end of drive and the big dumpings. Although the 6 would do fine, it would just take a bit longer as you take smaller bites.  Also remember to take care of your machine & it will last longer no matter what kind you buy.

Cheers

https://t.me/pump_upp
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42