Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 24" Deluxe, 27" deluxe and 924 DLE, Toro 828XLE, SimplicityST2718

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
gsnow

Ariens 24" Deluxe, 27" deluxe and 924 DLE, Toro 828XLE, SimplicityST2718
Original Message   Aug 31, 2009 12:08 am
Hello,

I have a driveway 40ft X 25ft + 60ft sidewalk, and get quite a lot of snow.

I wanted to get the 24" deluxe (for space) but found it hard to maneuver with both wheels locked, not bad with one wheel unlocked.

I was thinking of moving up to the 27" deluxe (larger than I need) which has the trigger for wheel locking for an extra $130.

My local dealer suggests I upgrade to the 24 DLE  with the automatic traction control, light, handwarmer for $ 464 more than the 24 deluxe.

For a little more I can get a Toro 828 XLE which has the power steering (also larger than I need).

Craftman has a 24" 249cc B+S power steeriing $ 1,000 - same features as the 24" DLE , but not sure about quality.

The locan dealer also suggest Simplicity 9hp 24" ST 2718 ?? for $ 1200. Lighter than the Ariens (not sure if it has traction control.

Can someone please advise which one is best bang for buck.

Snowman, you are the Ariens pro, is the 24 DLE worth that much more than the 24 deluxe or the 27 deluxe? Will Ariens have a sale

In Sept. or October that the Dealers will pass on to customers? I read that some Ariens had problems with the Friction Disk and Baffle plates

has to be installed, and chute control cable freezing. Have these issues been fixed in the 2009 units?

Thanks you all.

gsnow

Replies: 27 - 36 of 36Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
gogreen

Re: Ariens 24" Deluxe, 27" deluxe and 924 DLE, Toro 828XLE, SimplicityST2718
Reply #27   Nov 7, 2009 2:42 am
ntadjs7 wrote:
I purchased the 924DLE last year. It is a horrible machine with chute controls that barely function. Very loud, hard to start and leaves that nice quarter inch of snow on the drive that ices up later. Would never consider it again. I get sick to my stomach thinking about it because I know with winter coming I will have to deal with it all over again. Buy the Toro.

Yeah, I definitely choose Toro. It's worth.
-------------------------------------------
echo backpack blower
RuhiA

Reply #28   Nov 10, 2009 12:06 pm
SnowRemover wrote:
I totally forgot about the lack of a shearpin - what a great feature (or non feature). I'm not sure if its patented by Toro, but I would strongly argue that if you work for a shearpin manufacturer, you better start looking for another job.

Just joined to add my two cents worth... Great forum.

Toro 828OXE DOES have shear-pins, one on each side. You can see on the picture here as well; http://www.toro.com/home/images/t_co_sn_impellerHous_lg.jpg

I've been narrowing my choices down to  in between 24" DLE and 828 OXE as well after considering Craftsman, Snapper, JD and few others including Honda. In my particualr case I need to be able to throw snow about 40ft ahead of me to clear the house on my left unless I'd throw the snow on the adjacent neighbor's driveway . I am hoping that I won't be disappinted with the choice. It appeared to me that Toro 828 will just do that if not barely. Also, I looked for an easy to operate without the need to muscle it around. I found the Toro to be very well balanced fron to back at least without snow being jammed in the auger. It easy to lift the front up as needed. disengaging the either wheel or both to make the turns to make adjustments to the path while on the snow and move it around makes the Toro favorable and more sensible due to the simplicity of the mechanism they used to accomplish it instead of "traction controls" etc complexity. My wife was easily moving it aroun dwhen we tried it as compared Toro and Arens side by side. It's a plus because she has now no excuse not to use it. I definetly liked the shute controls of the Toro over anything else I've seen so far. I't quick, simple and doesn't seem to have anything to go wrong with it easily. I have to add though I am a first time buyer of a snow blower. I also liked the metal side supports on the Toro making the auger enclosure pretty rigid compared to Ariens. Chute being "plastic" doesn't make it inferior to Ariens in my opinion. Depending on what kind of polymer they used to make the part, it may be an issue in extreme cold environments but at least not where I am (NJ). Running into it with your SUV doesn't count as a failure criteria; just don't run into it reagrdless it is steel or polymer. I am definetly sold on the "diverter" of the impelled snow in case the chute is jam packed. Remains to be seen if it works but I like the concept. Hand warmers? I don't see the point of having one for consumer use purposes but pros may think different of course. Besides, if you must have warmers, you can get a kit for $50 (motorcycle grips) and power it from the light ( I presume it is 12V already). At the end, my choice is Toro 828 OXE. I don't see the need for 1028 or 1128 with slightly more powerfull engines. The price difference in my local is $100 and $300 more compared to 828, respcetively.

Let me also share my shoping experience... Last Spring I bought a Honda walk-behind mower from Northern Tools and Eq. in cedar Groove , NJ. (I am including the name for completeness - I believe in consumer's power with their choice of taking their business wherever they want) I made few visits there to get the mower and paid a little more than otherwise I could somewhere else for the time they spent with me and the convenience of the location to my local. Naturally, they were my first stop for the blower too. First time around, they didn't have any and they told me they'd call when the shipment arrives (they had my number). They didn't call so I stopped by again on the way back from work last week. They had a few on display although not sure if mor ethan what they had earlier. I was given the details, some info not accurate but still volueentered no issues. They had an LXE with a price tag of $1799 - ON SALE! Since I knew that's the one I was going to get, I asked for the OXE with the B&G motor and the price for it mentioning $1799 seemed too steep for the last year's model. He flipped and accused me of wasting his time. He could instead attend other waiting customers, etc. there were none by the way.  I reminded him that I WAS a customer too. If they woudl negotiate they would not be in the business fro me to walk in to talk to someone to learn what I learned. I gave him credit for being patient with me and thanked him for his time but I didn't appreciate him accusing me of wasting his time. I apoligized for wasting his time and as I walked away said that he'll never see me ever again. I went out and bought the 828 OXE ($1590) the following Saturday, delivered to my home. Not only that, they spent more time with me and my wife as much as we needed. Also, was able to check out and try other equipment that we'll buy eventually. no pressure...

Now, I am hoping that we'll get yards and yards of snow this year.
Ruhi
This message was modified Nov 10, 2009 by RuhiA
snowgo

Reply #29   Nov 18, 2009 11:57 pm
I've said it before and I'll say it again ... it sure is confusing deciding on which snow blower to buy. I've read posts claiming don't buy Toro, don't buy Ariens, don't buy Craftsman, etc., etc., etc.. Very confusing trying to sort through everything and remember whose posts seem credible and whose don't.

I'm posting in this thread because my driveway is similar in size to what the original poster's is (gsnow). Being on a fairly large corner lot, I probably have between 150' and 200' of sidewalk to clear. The driveway itself is about 25' wide by 50' long. I need to blow the snow all in one direction though (across the 25' width) due to an alley being along one side of the driveway.

My latest and greatest conclusion has been that the automatic traction control on the Ariens Deluxe Platinum models would be the way to go ... thinking that it would make things easier as there would be no cables to mess with every time I wanted to turn. I also like how tall the Ariens chutes are compared to the others, as I have to clear 4' tall hedges bordering the far edge of the driveway. If I go that route, there are only 2 choices ... the 24" bucket or the 30" bucket with larger engine. The 24" would be easier to manage, but the 30" would have more power. I guess I'm trying to figure out if the engine size of the 24" machine (249cc) would be adequate power for my driveway size or if the 30" (342cc) would be overkill.

If the 24" isn't powerful enough and the 30" is too powerful (or too $#%*bersome to move around), then I might reconsider buying the L1428E Simplicity, which I think has an engine size between the 2 Ariens models I'm considering. Although then I have to be concerned with the electric chute controls handling the icy conditions.

I guess that's confusing enough for 1 post, eh? Any thoughts?
This message was modified Nov 19, 2009 by snowgo
aa335

Reply #30   Nov 19, 2009 1:02 am
Snowgo,

I think you have enough information to make a wise decision based on your needs, wants, and pocket book.  I suggest spending some time looking and trying out each one of those machines in person.  Form your own opinions.  Everyone here has their own opinions of brands and features, but you're ultimately the one paying for the snowblower.  Get the one you want.

With that said, I'll inject my own opinion for giggles.  I have a corner lot similar to yours.  I'd go with a 8-10 HP, 28 inch bucket, best balance of power and maneuverability.   (HS928, *wink*)
snowgo

Reply #31   Nov 19, 2009 9:32 am
aa335 wrote:
Snowgo,

I think you have enough information to make a wise decision based on your needs, wants, and pocket book.  I suggest spending some time looking and trying out each one of those machines in person.  Form your own opinions.  Everyone here has their own opinions of brands and features, but you're ultimately the one paying for the snowblower.  Get the one you want.

With that said, I'll inject my own opinion for giggles.  I have a corner lot similar to yours.  I'd go with a 8-10 HP, 28 inch bucket, best balance of power and maneuverability.   (HS928, *wink*)

:-) ... (grrrrr)
aa335

Reply #32   Nov 19, 2009 1:41 pm
"That's what she said." 

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'll add another shameless plug for the HS928.  It has a powerful engine, 9HP.  It can never be too powerful, it has throttle control.  Bucket size is 28 inch.  Axle is solid from left to right wheel, no differential to benefit from or to worry about breaking.  Chute rotation is a worm gear and crank, and deflection cable actuated.  It is all manual, no electrics.    Again, no benefit, no worries about failures.  The chute design is what Ariens and Simplicity tries to emulate, allows tight stream for accurate placement of snow discharge.  So far, it is one of two brands of snowblower that has hydrostatic transmission.  Both of these brands start with the letter H.

Negatives? 
Price.  Get one now because the price will go up next year.  Guaranteed.  Even used ones command high price and hard to come by.
Price.  Everyone hates their high price.  Except the manufacturer.
Price.  Everyone thinks you're nuts for paying that much to a company that also makes cars, motorcycles, weed wackers, and lawnmowers.
Features.  It doesn't have convenience features of Toro, or as much black space age polymer.  *wink*
Involvement.  Yes,  you do have to work it.  It ain't going to do it all by itself.  Except...I ain't going to there.. unless you want to pony up a few more Benjamins or put up your car as collateral.

Positive? 
The design has been locked down the last 5 years.  You won't feel cheated when next year model comes with something better.  You don't feel stupid that you didn't buy last year's model because they built it cheaper this year.
It already comes with the most powerful, advanced, and proven reliable engines from the manufacturer.
You won't see the same snowblower with a different branding or paint.  In other words, you can't get it painted in green and yellow.  However, you won't need to pay extra for green paint and outsourcing.
Clean design.  Tidy cable management.
No fancy acronyms or confusing product segments.

This message was modified Nov 19, 2009 by aa335
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #33   Feb 2, 2010 11:21 am
SnowRemover wrote:
I totally forgot about the lack of a shearpin - what a great feature (or non feature). I'm not sure if its patented by Toro, but I would strongly argue that if you work for a shearpin manufacturer, you better start looking for another job.

RuhiA wrote:
Just joined to add my two cents worth... Great forum.<BR><BR>Toro 828OXE DOES have shear-pins, one on each side. You can see on the picture here as well;

Hate to come late to the party, but just in case someone is reading this forum I'd like to restate that the OP is looking at the Toro 828XLE which does NOT have shearpins. At least twice a year my neighbors will be at the bottom of their driveway (where the plow seems to drop off large boulders that have come from another town) and back in the garage to get another shearpin. They stock up on them now.

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
aa335

Reply #34   Feb 2, 2010 3:40 pm
SnowRemover wrote:
Hate to come late to the party, but just in case someone is reading this forum I'd like to restate that the OP is looking at the Toro 828XLE which does NOT have shearpins. At least twice a year my neighbors will be at the bottom of their driveway (where the plow seems to drop off large boulders that have come from another town) and back in the garage to get another shearpin. They stock up on them now.

I'm late to the party too and still hung over from the last party so bear with me.

I'm unclear what you want to say.  Are you advocating looking for snowblowers with or without shear pins?
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #35   Feb 2, 2010 6:34 pm
aa335 wrote:
I'm late to the party too and still hung over from the last party so bear with me.

I'm unclear what you want to say.  Are you advocating looking for snowblowers with or without shear pins?

Did you not read  SNOWREMOVER  signature,
It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche

aa335

Reply #36   Feb 2, 2010 11:49 pm
hirschallan wrote:
Did you not read  SNOWREMOVER  signature,
--Friedrich Nietzsche

Now it makes perfect sense. 
Replies: 27 - 36 of 36Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42