Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 1st snowblower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
granville

1st snowblower
Original Message   Oct 30, 2009 2:42 pm
I have been looking at toro 826, ariens 927dlx, simplcity 9528 and JD 1130 [which I understand is a simplcity in JD green]. I have a 250ft driveway mostly one car width. I know there is some differences in sizes , but they are close to my budget of $2000 canadian taxes in. Will the 826 handle the heavy wet snow as easy as the larger Simplicity and JD models. It is hard to get a straight answer out the salesman,so I will ask questions on here.  Cast iron gearboxes vs aluminum, does it matter?  The chute rotation gears in the toro are plastic , in the ariens they are plastic and steel  vs. both steel gears in the simplicity and JD . Is that a concern for the future? What are your thoughts on these models longevity? Help me pick the right !st snowblower.
Replies: 11 - 20 of 32Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
billy

Re: 1st snowblower
Reply #11   Nov 2, 2009 1:11 pm
granville,

Where have you looked for Snowblowers? Have you tried Veseys in York? They carry Toro, Ariens. Daniel Christopher sales in Tignish also carries Ariens.
bdresch

Reply #12   Nov 2, 2009 1:26 pm
I don't want to start a flame war, but it seems odd that some on here give very strong opinions calling some brands overpriced junk and others top of the heap even after admitting not to have been in a dealer in couple years or have any experience with current models.  I would suggest getting a good look at all the models in your price range, weigh the pros and cons of the features, try to move them all around to see how the various differentials and wheel lock systems work, take a close look at how heavy duty the moving and wear parts are.  I think most of the higher end brands, if maintained properly, will last a very long time.
borat

Reply #13   Nov 2, 2009 1:31 pm
Looks like the JD is the best bang for the buck. Considering that it's built by Simplicity, I'd have no hesitation buying one. Looks like you're getting more machine as well compared to the others.
granville

Reply #14   Nov 2, 2009 3:48 pm
billy wrote:
granville,

Where have you looked for Snowblowers? Have you tried Veseys in York? They carry Toro, Ariens. Daniel Christopher sales in Tignish also carries Ariens.

billy

I got the prices for the toro and ariens at veseys. Danny Christophers was higher for the ariens and the simplicity,but to be fair I did not go back to him to see if he would match the other dealers. Niel's in ch'town was the best price for simplicity. Green Diamond and Reddins were the same price for JD.  Do you know what  any of these dealers are like for service.

billy

Reply #15   Nov 2, 2009 5:43 pm
granville wrote:
billy</p><p>I got the prices for the toro and ariens at veseys. Danny Christophers was higher for the ariens and the simplicity,but to be fair I did not go back to him to see if he would match the other dealers. Niel's in ch'town was the best price for simplicity. Green Diamond and Reddins were the same price for JD.  Do you know what  any of these dealers are like for service.

I've only ever taken mine to Neil's Sales and Service. Price was fair and turnaround was quick.
borat

Reply #16   Nov 2, 2009 6:45 pm
bdresch wrote:
I don't want to start a flame war, but it seems odd that some on here give very strong opinions calling some brands overpriced junk and others top of the heap even after admitting not to have been in a dealer in couple years or have any experience with current models.  I would suggest getting a good look at all the models in your price range, weigh the pros and cons of the features, try to move them all around to see how the various differentials and wheel lock systems work, take a close look at how heavy duty the moving and wear parts are.  I think most of the higher end brands, if maintained properly, will last a very long time.

It's obvious you are targeting my comments. You might want to note that I was asked for my opinion. I don't see anyone asking for yours.
I don't recall using the word "junk". However, if that's the way you feel about the lower end Ariens and Toro models, you're entitled to your opinion and you'll get no argument from me.
opecrazy

Reply #17   Nov 4, 2009 10:12 am
I do not agree with Borat. Craftsman, Husqvaran, and MTD make inferior machines compared to the popular three: Areins, Toro, Simplicity. I recently purchased a toro and did extensive research to compare all three brands in my area. Just for kicks, I checked out the craftsmans, Huskys, and even an MTD throwers. There is no contest between the cheap machines, and the better offerings. Just take a look at one in person, you don't have to be an engineer.

As for Simplicity, Ariens, Toro.... they are much harder to differentiate. They are all pretty much the same in terms of quality, since all three compete with each other and will do as much to increase the bottom line. Are they cheaper built than in the past? Yes. Are any of them that much worse? No. When you consider all the variables between the three companies, the only thing that changes are three things relative to the consumer: price, features, and dealer support. (notice quality is excluded since all three are quality) Yes Toro is the most expensive of the three but if price is no issue and you like specific features than go with a Toro. Ariens are the least expensive of the three, depending on what price range you are looking at.

For example I was looking at the:
(I now prices are different, but just to give you and idea)

826OE @ $1200 after rebate ($1400 reg)
Simplicity L1226E @ $1100
Ariens 27 Deluxe @ $1000
Ariens 24 Deluxe @ $900

In the end my decision came down to features. I did not want traction control on the ariens specifically. I think traction changing components are a complex weak point even on the Toros, though I think Toro's design execution is the best. I didn't really care for the one sided remote lockout on both Ariens 27dlx and Simp. But I did like the quick chute on the toro. The Simplicity felt more robust in that it was heavier, but looking closer it was simillar in build with the other two. I did not like the electric chute rotation on the simp.

In the end I went with Toro because of the chute, and some other features that I liked (better engine, heavy duty bushings on the axle, bigger auger gearbox, intake area, weight distribution, and I like toro so I was obviously a bit partial to them). Also the rebate was a big factor. Dealer kind of sucked, but I won't need him since I work on my ope myself.

But I don't think my Toro will last any longer than the other three options I had. One thing I can be sure of: if properly taken care of, then all the machines will last at least 10-15 years, and they will be enjoyable to use in that time period. The cheap machines will probably last a while too, but won't be as enjoyable.

So in conclusion:

find good dealers (if you plan on them for service),
decide on the price point,
get a machine with features you want,

If I had to do it over again, I might have gone with the Ariens 24 Deluxe.
borat

Reply #18   Nov 4, 2009 12:56 pm
Yo OPEcrazy:

The prices for the machines you have listed vary considerably from those posted by the original poster. You are obviously looking at the lowest value models of the the higher grade manufacturers. Those machines and prices do not reflect the same grade of machines that original poster had listed. For instance, none of the machines you've listed would compare with a Simplicity 9528 in any way. All of the machines you've listed appear to bargain basement models being sold in box stores. I still maintain that a higher end Husqvarna or Craftsman would be very close in build quality, reliability and performance to the machines you've listed.
opecrazy

Reply #19   Nov 4, 2009 6:16 pm
The only major difference between the models I listed and the more expensive ones are the features. The chassis's are virtually the same. I used my example as a reference for the OP.

In addition the OP mentionoed the toro 826 which is the snow thrower I purchased, so that makes my imput somewhat relative.

Just because the big box stores sells a snow thrower it doesn't make it crap. But crap <I>can</I> be sold at a big box store. There is no way you can compare any craftsman to a toro, Ariens, or Simplicity. Even the biggest most expensive craftsman is still the same design as the lower end ones, once again because companies keep the same chasis and add or subtract features. Huskies are better and maybe come closer to a Toro/Ariens/Simp, but still use thinner steel, and smaller gearbox, auger, and impeller.

For example- Toro shares the same frame, tractor mechanism, and chute, only differ in engine size, steering lockouts and two bucket sizes: 26,28 inch. You can't say the 826 is crap compared to the 1128 because they are the same design.

Simplicity does the same thing, only adds a steel gearbox after their least expensive large frame. Then the next change in the line-up happens with the Pro series different frame design.

Same thing with Ariens (24 Deluxe and up).
borat

Reply #20   Nov 4, 2009 9:33 pm
There are some other differences between a Simplicity 9528 and the machines you've listed.

9528 has a 4 blade impeller, easy turn, one had operation capability, snow max engine, bigger wheels, and weighs 255 lbs. The 26" Ariens is 228 lbs. That's 27 lbs. lighter. The Toro is even lighter at 222 lbs. The difference in weight tells me that we're not just looking at gizmos, there are obviously structural differences between the the classes of machines. I don't have all the machines available for me to measure shaft thickness, chassis steel thickness nor the thickness of impeller and auger components. However, just by comparing weights, I would venture to guess that some of the above features are probably not the same specs as the heavier machines.

For what they are, the machines you've listed are not bad machines. I just don't think they'd be up to the task as well as the larger frame machines under very difficult circumstances. I will say that the prices aren't bad either. Other than the Toro.
Replies: 11 - 20 of 32Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42