Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 1st snowblower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
granville

1st snowblower
Original Message   Oct 30, 2009 2:42 pm
I have been looking at toro 826, ariens 927dlx, simplcity 9528 and JD 1130 [which I understand is a simplcity in JD green]. I have a 250ft driveway mostly one car width. I know there is some differences in sizes , but they are close to my budget of $2000 canadian taxes in. Will the 826 handle the heavy wet snow as easy as the larger Simplicity and JD models. It is hard to get a straight answer out the salesman,so I will ask questions on here.  Cast iron gearboxes vs aluminum, does it matter?  The chute rotation gears in the toro are plastic , in the ariens they are plastic and steel  vs. both steel gears in the simplicity and JD . Is that a concern for the future? What are your thoughts on these models longevity? Help me pick the right !st snowblower.
Replies: 5 - 14 of 32Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
borat

Re: 1st snowblower
Reply #5   Nov 1, 2009 7:28 pm
granville wrote:
borat  ,I know you like the simplcity models ,but what do you think of the toro and ariens models in general

You're trolling right?

I'll answer your question just the same....

They are both higher end brands but they no longer represent the leadership in quality that they one did. Ten years ago, they were among the finest snow throwers available. Toro and Ariens both built solid reliable machines that sold for relatively high but not unrealistic prices. As far as I'm concerned, one had better do their homework if thinking about buying some of their latest offerings. Some Ariens and Toro models have suffered from the box store's demands to produce machines that sell for much less than their higher end models. The quality of these lesser machines do not represent even the lower prices associated with them. They're generally far lower in quality yet still demanding a premium for the brand names. A comparable Craftsman, Husqvarna or MTD machine would be similar in quality but probably a fair amount less. Unfortunately, I've recently been seeing signs of Simplicity doing the same with entry level machines being offered at some box stores (Sears for one).

As far as I'm concerned Toro's pricing is ridiculously high for everything they sell. Ariens aren't too far behind if you're buying their better machines. I like Simplicity because their large frame machines are every bit as good if not better than Toro and Ariens and are usually more reasonably priced, at least around here. I also have a problem with the the arrogance of the local Toro/Ariens dealership. A thief with a license to steal.
mikiewest

Reply #6   Nov 1, 2009 8:58 pm
How do u feel about the Ariens Pro machines Borat?Besides the auger gear case being cast iron,do they share the same internal parts as the deluxe?Do the simplicity large frame and pro machines still use quality internal parts as the older machines?How would the average person know?Most of us just have to go by what is in the brochure.Unless someone is an engineer for a snowblower co.and actually tells us the specs,or works at a repair shop.One ope dealer told me they are all "junk".I guess he feels all these new snowblowers are not as robust as the older ones.
borat

Reply #7   Nov 1, 2009 9:44 pm
mikiewest wrote:
How do u feel about the Ariens Pro machines Borat?Besides the auger gear case being cast iron,do they share the same internal parts as the deluxe?Do the simplicity large frame and pro machines still use quality internal parts as the older machines?How would the average person know?Most of us just have to go by what is in the brochure.Unless someone is an engineer for a snowblower co.and actually tells us the specs,or works at a repair shop.One ope dealer told me they are all "junk".I guess he feels all these new snowblowers are not as robust as the older ones.

I will not go to the local Ariens/Toro dealership for reasons mentioned above. Therefore, I have not closely looked over the Ariens models you mentioned. The last time I looked them over was a couple years ago when I bought the Simplicity. As well, I haven't looked at the recent Simplicity models. Don't need to. I have a perfectly fine machine already. However, if the obvious components remain visually the same, i.e. the diameter of the auger/impeller shaft, cast iron gear case, thick gauge impeller/auger steel, thick gauge chassis steel, fit and finish etc. those would be sufficient indicators that the product is still well built. When you see those areas begin to diminish, the writing is on the wall...
granville

Reply #8   Nov 2, 2009 6:50 am
borat wrote:
You're trolling right?

I'll answer your question just the same....

They are both higher end brands but they no longer represent the leadership in quality that they one did. Ten years ago, they were among the finest snow throwers available. Toro and Ariens both built solid reliable machines that sold for relatively high but not unrealistic prices. As far as I'm concerned, one had better do their homework if thinking about buying some of their latest offerings. Some Ariens and Toro models have suffered from the box store's demands to produce machines that sell for much less than their higher end models. The quality of these lesser machines do not represent even the lower prices associated with them. They're generally far lower in quality yet still demanding a premium for the brand names. A comparable Craftsman, Husqvarna or MTD machine would be similar in quality but probably a fair amount less. Unfortunately, I've recently been seeing signs of Simplicity doing the same with entry level machines being offered at some box stores (Sears for one).

As far as I'm concerned Toro's pricing is ridiculously high for everything they sell. Ariens aren't too far behind if you're buying their better machines. I like Simplicity because their large frame machines are every bit as good if not better than Toro and Ariens and are usually more reasonably priced, at least around here. I also have a problem with the the arrogance of the local Toro/Ariens dealership. A thief with a license to steal.

no I am not trolling ,just trying get to straight answers. I am trying to do my homework....

as far prices go here in PEI ; toro 826 $1799 [dealer will sell for 1399 to match HD],ariens 927 $1399,simplcity 9528 $1760and JD 1130 $1699.  The toro and ariens dlx models seems to be the same at the dealer and home depot. The sears models run from 1399 -1599 and the husqvarna from 1399 to 16499 , so no advantage there.

borat

Reply #9   Nov 2, 2009 9:45 am
You should be able to negotiate at least a couple hundred off the price of the Simplicity. I bought my 9528 two years ago from a small out of the way farm implement repair shop for $1500.00 all in. I'd be surprised if the dealer will budge on the JD. Particularly if it's being sold at a John Deere dealership. They seem to think they are doing you a favour just by letting you have the privilege to buy their products. A bit like Toro dealership arrogance.

Several years ago, when I was shopping for a lawn tractor, I went to the JD dealership to check out what they had. The salesman told me that he had a used lawn tractor in the back that he would let go for $1000.00. When he showed it to me, I couldn't help but laugh. I swear it looked like it was from the '60s and might have done a tour or two in Viet Nam. It was virtually rusted everywhere with the odd patch of green paint that survived under the seat. It was filthy with a grease/grass/gravel coating on the engine and under carriage components. It had a 12 h.p. Kohler single cylinder engine that looked as though it was built by Fred Flintstone. Tires were probably original with not tread on them at all. In all honesty, he couldn't give me that machine. Yet they had the audacity to ask a grand for it!

Getting back to the snow thrower. Take the prices and brochures you have for the Ariens machines and have a pleasant talk with the Simplicity dealer. See if he'll match the price. Even if they don't move much on the Simplicity, I'd still buy one. If it's still built like the one I have (and I'm pretty sure they are), they're worth the extra money.
This message was modified Nov 2, 2009 by borat
granville

Reply #10   Nov 2, 2009 10:08 am
the JD has a 200 rebate ,reg price is 1899. The simplicity dealer has already took $75 off the reg price and said he couldn't go any lower.
billy

Reply #11   Nov 2, 2009 1:11 pm
granville,

Where have you looked for Snowblowers? Have you tried Veseys in York? They carry Toro, Ariens. Daniel Christopher sales in Tignish also carries Ariens.
bdresch

Reply #12   Nov 2, 2009 1:26 pm
I don't want to start a flame war, but it seems odd that some on here give very strong opinions calling some brands overpriced junk and others top of the heap even after admitting not to have been in a dealer in couple years or have any experience with current models.  I would suggest getting a good look at all the models in your price range, weigh the pros and cons of the features, try to move them all around to see how the various differentials and wheel lock systems work, take a close look at how heavy duty the moving and wear parts are.  I think most of the higher end brands, if maintained properly, will last a very long time.
borat

Reply #13   Nov 2, 2009 1:31 pm
Looks like the JD is the best bang for the buck. Considering that it's built by Simplicity, I'd have no hesitation buying one. Looks like you're getting more machine as well compared to the others.
granville

Reply #14   Nov 2, 2009 3:48 pm
billy wrote:
granville,

Where have you looked for Snowblowers? Have you tried Veseys in York? They carry Toro, Ariens. Daniel Christopher sales in Tignish also carries Ariens.

billy

I got the prices for the toro and ariens at veseys. Danny Christophers was higher for the ariens and the simplicity,but to be fair I did not go back to him to see if he would match the other dealers. Niel's in ch'town was the best price for simplicity. Green Diamond and Reddins were the same price for JD.  Do you know what  any of these dealers are like for service.

Replies: 5 - 14 of 32Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42