Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > John Deere 1130SE or Troy Bilt Storm 3090 XP

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
nwetzel82

John Deere 1130SE or Troy Bilt Storm 3090 XP
Original Message   Oct 7, 2009 11:14 pm
Hi guys,

I just want to thank everyone in advance fot there thoughts and opinions. I currently live south of denver, co. this is going to be my third winter here. this is the first winter owning a home. my driveway is about 40' by 25' plus side walks and stuff. i have never own a snow blower and only plan on buying one. i have been to the local John Deere store whrere the salesmen recommended the JD over the Troy Bilt. then at Lowes tonight i get the opposite opinion. i am leaning more torwards the JD because it seems like more of a beast and has all metal construction. but there is about a $500 dollar price gap. all of the features seam about the same.

is the money worth buying the JD?

is the plastic going to freeze and break or is the JD metal shoot going to freeze and jam?

is the B&S engine better than whatever is in the Troy Bilt?

should i go for a smalled JD 928 to narrow the price gap?

any thing else is should know or consider??

Thanks
Nick
This message was modified Oct 7, 2009 by nwetzel82
Replies: 3 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
JasonSmits

Re: John Deere 1130SE or Troy Bilt Storm 3090 XP
Reply #3   Oct 23, 2009 8:03 pm
Just bought a 1130se and I think its great I was tinkering all day with it. No snow yet but it works great. Good luck on the purchase Im very happy with mine. I vote 1130se
Jason
mikiewest

Reply #4   Oct 24, 2009 8:57 am
Just look at the chutes.The Troybilt has plastic, JD is steel.I have never had a clog on my Simp all steel chute.Just put some wax on it before the snow season starts.JD has cast iron auger gear house vs that anemic looking gear case Troybilt has.Also look at the auger blades.Troybilt uses that cheap looking 4 piece auger blade setup JD doesnt.The choice is clear....
borat

Reply #5   Oct 24, 2009 2:21 pm
I was looking at some Yard Machine snow throwers at Chinadian Tire the other day. I swear, the auger gear drive looked like it came off a can opener! It looked as though the least amount of material possible was used for the gear case. Can't see too much lubrication fluid capacity there either. I can only imagine how flimsy the gears are. The large frame Simplicity machines are tanks compared to their mid size machines. Even though the mid size machines use an aluminum auger drive gear case, it's much more robust than what I saw on the Yard machines.
This message was modified Oct 24, 2009 by borat
Replies: 3 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42