Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > New Member w/Sno-Burst problem

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
kevandhel

New Member w/Sno-Burst problem
Original Message   Aug 23, 2005 7:03 pm
Good eve. all.  I am a new member. I just purchased an old, don't know how old, Jacobsen Sno-Burst.  I'm hoping that someone will know about this snow thrower.  I'm not sure about the model except it says Electronic ignition and the label on the top-front says Jac-339498 and takes a 50-1mixture.   It has a starting problem but gets spark at the plug.  Any suggestions and information about the age and where to find a manual  would be of  great help.  Thanks kevandhel
Replies: 10 - 17 of 17Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
cilynx

Re: New Member w/Sno-Burst problem
Reply #10   Oct 20, 2009 9:13 pm
Friiy, do you have any references to back that up?  The owner's manual (linked above) states very clearly that the engine is a "Jacobsen J-501 ST (2 cycle)".  A quick Google search doesn't give me any reason to think that the J-501 was actually made by Tecumseh.

borat

Reply #11   Oct 20, 2009 9:26 pm
This is a quote from a 1971 Popular Mechanics article

Jacobsen, incidentally is one of the few manufacturers that makes two-cycle engines for its own equipment. However, where four cycle engines are used in Jacobsen mowers and other equipment, they are made by other companies such as Lauson-Tecumseh.

It would appear that you both are correct.
friiy

Reply #12   Oct 20, 2009 10:13 pm
cilynx wrote:
To you googlers, I've got a photo-tutorial for overhauling the Jacobsen Sno-burst carburetor...

If you look at the breakdown of parts on this link, and check the part numbers you will find that they are Tecumseh part numbers..

This engine was also used on ice augers / post hole diggers, Kingfisher, Johnson, and Sears outboards plus some other things, My father had one of the Johnson outboards till a few years ago... These classic outboard are collector items, I had a friend at a boat shop that ordered "lots" of sticker kits for people repainting and overhauling them. ( I guess they are popular with people on pretty lakes and neat handmade wood canoes)

Being a 2-cycle engine this unit was placed verticaly or horizontaly depending on the type of carb and linkage installed, The most popular was the vaccum diaphram carb that could run at any angle.

Most of this is from memory working on them. I never worked on the blower, only the family of engines.

Good Luck,

Friiy
friiy

Reply #13   Oct 20, 2009 10:22 pm
&lt;BR&gt;<BR> cilynx wrote:
Friiy, do you have any references to back that up?  The owner's manual (linked above) states very clearly that the engine is a &amp;amp;quot;Jacobsen J-501 ST (2 cycle)&amp;amp;quot;.  A quick Google search doesn't give me any reason to think that the J-501 was actually made by Tecumseh.&lt;BR&gt;

Sometimes the equipment manufacture will not be proud enough or will not want the public to know they farm out thier stuff... This is sometimes a practice to keep the dealer for the machine from looseing repair business to the engine dealer or local Tecumseh dealer, Sears has done this for years

Friiy
This message was modified Oct 20, 2009 by friiy
borat

Reply #14   Oct 20, 2009 10:29 pm
I have a Jiffy ice drill that's powered by a three h.p. two cycle Tecumseh engine. It's close to 30 years old. Last year, I had trouble with it not wanting to rev out. I run an ounce of SeaFoam in 1/4 tank of fuel and the engine perked right up. Runs great now.
friiy

Reply #15   Oct 20, 2009 10:32 pm
Hey Borat,

Cool, doess it have the Diaphram carb or the float bowl?

Friiy
borat

Reply #16   Oct 21, 2009 9:41 am
friiy wrote:
Hey Borat,<BR><BR>Cool, doess it have the Diaphram carb or the float bowl?<BR><BR><BR>Friiy

It has a diaphragm carb. It's a very simple little engine and more than powerful enough to run an ice auger. However, compared to modern ice drills, this thing pretty heavy. Probably 35 lbs. if not more. Beats cranking on a hand auger.
cilynx

Reply #17   Oct 21, 2009 7:35 pm
Friiy,

Thanks for the info.  I figured that since Jacobsen acknowledged that they didn't make their later engines that their claim that they made the J-501 was legitimate.  C'est la vie.

-cil

Replies: 10 - 17 of 17Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42