Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snowblower belt sizes - half inch make a difference?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
loudsubz

Snowblower belt sizes - half inch make a difference?
Original Message   Oct 18, 2009 9:42 pm
I have an older Ariens blower that is about 30 years old and the belts that are avaialble for replacement are not a direct fit. The OEM belt size was 34.5" but the local belts that are stocked go in 1" increments so I can get 34 or 35. How much of an issue would a 1/2" be if I were to use one of those belts above?
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
borat

Re: Snowblower belt sizes - half inch make a difference?
Reply #1   Oct 18, 2009 11:22 pm
If the belt's cross sectional angle is a good fit with the pulleys and you can get the belt on without too much effort, I can't see how being half an inch shorter in overall length would be a problem. Usually, if a belt is too short, you will have difficulty getting it on the pulleys. If it goes on OK, you should be alright.
niper99

Reply #2   Oct 19, 2009 12:38 am
well in my experince your belt is probally 34 inch its probally worn out thats were your getting the half inch, if the width of the belt narrows (wears down) it can add length when measuring, but like borat said if the belt goes on the pulleys and and your able to adjust it proberlly then everything should be fine.

ps 1 inch difference in belts will make a big difference.
This message was modified Oct 19, 2009 by niper99
loudsubz

Reply #3   Oct 19, 2009 8:24 am
I got my belt reference from this ariens site

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/belts/ariens_belts.asp

I have the 072106 and 072114.

I hasve looked for replacemrnt 72106 and the ones that come back are 3/8" X 37" not 36.5 like mentioned so I find it kind of funny aswell.
friiy

Reply #4   Oct 20, 2009 12:20 pm
1/2 inch should not make a diffrence too much if there is a idler pully on the unit to take up the slack or the belt is engaged by a pully.

Friiy
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42