Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > What do i need to get my SnowBlower ready for the winter

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
KMG14

What do i need to get my SnowBlower ready for the winter
Original Message   Oct 5, 2009 11:36 pm
Hi

I bought a CraftsMan 24" 9.0TQ in Januray of this year(has all the bells and whistles but a damn lighteven Electric start)

I only got to use it for 4 hours total as the winter stunk

It has sat from Feb till now

I just drained the tank

What do I need to do before winter comes in a few months to get her going again(Do I grease anything)??

I can't seem to find a video/write up talking about what needs to be done

Also is it normal for the Blades to have surface rust will post a picture if needed

Thanks

This message was modified Oct 5, 2009 by KMG14
Replies: 10 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
KMG14

Re: What do i need to get my SnowBlower ready for the winter
Reply #10   Oct 16, 2009 4:42 pm
I don't know what Zerk Fittings are so I'm lost on that

Here is the link to the fittings,not much info at all

http://www.princessauto.com/engines/fuel-lubricants/grease/8262602-100-pc-metric-grease-fittings?keyword=grease

I also see they have Metric and SAE ones

http://www.princessauto.com/engines/fuel-lubricants/grease/4270294-100-pc-sae-grease-fitting-kit?keyword=grease

This is the Gun I was thinking of buying

http://www.princessauto.com/engines/fuel-lubricants/grease/8084063-pistol-grip-grease-gun?keyword=grease+gun
INGuy

Reply #11   Oct 17, 2009 12:53 am
I looked at the pics of your machine, and I don't actually see any zerk fittings on the augers, unless they happened to be turned to the back side out of view.  Perhaps someone familiar with Craftsmans can comment on whether they have them, or double check your manual to be sure.  It should say under the maintenance section.

At any rate, if you have them they would look something like this.  This is on my Ariens.  The zerks are circled in red.  The shear bolt is circled in blue.  The shear bolt should be removed so that when you pump grease into the zerks, you can spin the auger blades around freely to spread the grease around the auger shaft evenly inside.  Pump grease into them until you see it push out the end of the auger shaft.  The goal is to fill the space with grease to keep water and rust out.  Replace the shear bolt when you are finished.

Here is a close up of the zerk fitting so you can see what it looks like.  It is wider in the middle so that the tip of the grease gun can "snap" onto it.

Here is what the grease gun looks like.  The 4 flanges inside the end are what snap onto the zerk.  You can see grease in the middle of them here.

Hope this helps.

This message was modified Oct 17, 2009 by INGuy
borat

Reply #12   Oct 17, 2009 9:38 am
From your comments, I sense a bit of frustration. Greasing the auger shaft is probably one of the easiest things to be done. You can get a small grease gun from any auto supply store for around $8.00. They use suitably sized grease cartridges that cost around $2.00 a piece. If you're buying the grease gun, get some snowmobile or water resistant grease. <BR><BR>I sense that your mechanical abilities might be limited. If so, be patient and ask a lot of questions. Get yourself a basic tool kit with wrenches and a socket set, some screw drivers and a few sets of pliers. Remember, the tools will work on everything pretty much so, they're not just for the snow thrower. You might also want to pick up some white lithium grease, WD-40, light machine oil, and spare engine oil. A spare spark plug would also be a good idea. I keep a couple cans of SeaFoam around and occasionally add an ounce to a tank of fuel. Keeps the fuel system clean, stabilizes and removes moisture in the fuel.

By the way, after greasing the auger shaft, put the machine on a block or floor jack, remove the wheels and grease the axles. Just squeeze out some grease and spread it on the axle shaft with your fingers. Check your air pressure while you're at it.
This message was modified Oct 17, 2009 by borat
KMG14

Reply #13   Oct 18, 2009 5:53 pm
INGuy wrote:
I looked at the pics of your machine, and I don't actually see any zerk fittings on the augers, unless they happened to be turned to the back side out of view.  Perhaps someone familiar with Craftsmans can comment on whether they have them, or double check your manual to be sure.  It should say under the maintenance section.

At any rate, if you have them they would look something like this.  This is on my Ariens.  The zerks are circled in red.  The shear bolt is circled in blue.  The shear bolt should be removed so that when you pump grease into the zerks, you can spin the auger blades around freely to spread the grease around the auger shaft evenly inside.  Pump grease into them until you see it push out the end of the auger shaft.  The goal is to fill the space with grease to keep water and rust out.  Replace the shear bolt when you are finished.

Here is a close up of the zerk fitting so you can see what it looks like.  It is wider in the middle so that the tip of the grease gun can "snap" onto it.

Here is what the grease gun looks like.  The 4 flanges inside the end are what snap onto the zerk.  You can see grease in the middle of them here.

Hope this helps.

Wow Thank you for the detailed reply

I went and took some pictures of mine,They look like Zerk Fittings,so looks like all i need is a grease gun and grease now:)

Here is a picture of my blade & the rust I have between the blades

This message was modified Oct 18, 2009 by KMG14
INGuy

Reply #14   Oct 18, 2009 8:04 pm
KMG14 wrote:
Wow Thank you for the detailed reply

I went and took some pictures of mine,They look like Zerk Fittings,so looks like all i need is a grease gun and grease now:)
Here is a picture of my blade & the rust I have between the blades

No problem.  I guess I couldn't make them out in the first pictures (hidden in shadows, maybe) but those are indeed zerk fittings.

If you're worried about the rust, I took care of mine using Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer.  It goes on white but turns black when it cures.  Perfect match for your auger blades.  It converts the rust and is supposed to prevent future rust.  I used the brush-on variety.  http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=30&SBL=1

friiy

Reply #15   Oct 19, 2009 10:53 pm
Be sure to wipe all the extra grease that shoots out, out don't want it on your driveway sidewalk or tracked into the house on a boot..

1 Grease it
2 Wipe up extra
3 Run it a few moments, engage everything
4 Turn it off
5 Wipe it down again

Good Luck, I gotta go water my palm tree and tomato plants... :)

Friiy
This message was modified Oct 19, 2009 by friiy
Replies: 10 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42