Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Steering Options

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
cuzzinolaf

Steering Options
Original Message   Oct 16, 2009 8:31 am
OK, I have it down to Simplicity's L1428e, John Deere's 1130, and the 28" Toro. They each have a different kind of steering system and I'm trying to get whichever is best in the event my fiancee' (wife as of July 2010) has to snowblow the driveway while I'm away.

Simplicity has the Easy-Turn which you must engage a lever to make it easier to turn. I'm still not 100% on how this works but I'm thinking I squeeze the lever which disengages the wheel and forces the snowblower to turn left or right.  I think it would work although I don't like the Nascar style steering.

John Deere offers the Easy-Steer which has no lever and I'm not really sure how this works. Is it good to turn in both directions or similar to the Simplicity?

And I ruled out the Toro until I looked at them yesterday and really like their system which allows you to disengage either wheel and gives you true "power steering" and makes it pretty effortless. I don't like the plastic chute and joystick control.... but have to assume it is better than the other cheapy types that are currently on the market.

I'm still on the fence about Ariens because their cheapest model that fits my needs with their easy steer system is $1800.

As for the snow blower I pretty much know I want a 13.50 or 305cc engine. I'd like it to have a cut of 26" or greater, and the price tag has to be under $2000 (the cheaper the better since I was only planning on spending $800 when I started looking).

Thanks again for all the help in my other thread. I hope to be buying something within a week. Sorry for all the questions.
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Snowmann

Re: Steering Options
Reply #1   Oct 16, 2009 8:47 am
Ariens has the Automatic Traction Control that you're referring to in 24" and 30" models at $1299 and $1599 (Deluxe Platinum Series). The 30" model has the 1650 series engine.
cuzzinolaf

Reply #2   Oct 16, 2009 9:28 am
Snowmann wrote:
Ariens has the Automatic Traction Control that you're referring to in 24" and 30" models at $1299 and $1599 (Deluxe Platinum Series). The 30" model has the 1650 series engine.

How easy would it be to turn for a 115 lb. girl compared to the others? This is the most important thing to be at this point.
oakville

Reply #3   Oct 16, 2009 12:25 pm
cuzzinolaf wrote:
How easy would it be to turn for a 115 lb. girl compared to the others? This is the most important thing to be at this point.

i don't know about how it compares to the others, but the ariens differential turns very easily - a little nudge or pull is all you need to change the angle.  the machine is also very well balanced - your waif of a wife should experience no strife.
fatty9009

Reply #4   Oct 16, 2009 12:50 pm
i  just bought the Toro 828 OXE.  I understand the concerns with the plastic, i had the same thoughts....but i think its more mental than a real deficiency.  My local dealer (who i personnally trust) told me that the joystick design has been around 8 years, and he has seen no problems with it malfunctioning (also, there is a five (5) year warranty on the the chute, the joystick controls, and auger system with the toro)  Also, the design of the toro, with the extra space for snow build up - to keep the impeller running at higher speeds and more efficiently is a plus.......as to the actuall operation of the machine.....i think the joystick control is awesome....it is way better than the knock-off joysticks MTD puts out.  It is extremely smooth and easy to control.  The free wheel steering is also great.
borat

Reply #5   Oct 16, 2009 2:40 pm
cuzzinolaf wrote:

Any large snow thrower will pose a challenge for a woman of that size. If she's very fit, she will be able to handle it but she'll know she's been working. I'm certain that most people here will acknowledge that in anything but the lightest snow, a two stage snow thrower is handful. Even the best designed machines will give an average sized man of average fitness a work out. Even if just walking in straight lines, any irregularity in the surface can cause the machine to pull and lurch to the side. Different snow characteristics can also increase effort. I've seen snow drifts so wind blown that the snow thrower couldn't bite into it. I had to break it up with a shovel first just to get the machine to pull it in. If you're buying a machine that a woman will have to use on occasion, I'd suggest something in the 24" range with as much engine as you can get. As far as steering gizmos go, any hand operated steering assist will do. My Simplicity has the Easy Steer function operated by a lever on the left handle. I use it primarily when the machine is stopped. I disengage one wheel to ease turning. Then I release the lever to allow the machine to operate with both wheels driving. I seldom if ever use that function while the machine is moving.
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42