Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > John Deere 1130 SE

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Clay

John Deere 1130 SE
Original Message   Jan 7, 2009 1:07 pm
I did a search and found a few references to this machine but no answers.  Any one have one of these?  15.5 snow max engine, heated hand grips, 30" wide.  I can't find a listing for auger diameter or impeller diameter.  I called John Deere and the guy that was suppose to be the snow thrower expert didn't know either. 

What is the Easy Steer drive system?  The literature says: 

• Easy SteerŪ drive system giving continuous power to both wheels and auto speed adjustment
  • Is it similar to the Ariens auto differential? 

I've heard that the units are built by B&S which translates to Simplicity.  They do have cast iron gear cases like the Simplicity.  The chute control is different than the simplicity and so is the turning method so they are not exactly the same.  I'm trying to compare the Simplicity L1530E to the JD 1130SE.  Any help would be appreciated.

Rick

Replies: 98 - 107 of 333Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
    LennyB

Re: John Deere 1130 SE
    Reply #98   Oct 10, 2009 12:07 am
    lanningjw,

I have ordered my kit from the dealer and I have not heard anything yet. It's been about 14 days. I'll give them a little more time before I start nagging again.

Like I said, once I get the kit I'll post back with the results, a few  photos, and the part numbers.

Hopefully that information can help everyone else.
    borat

Reply #99   Oct 10, 2009 12:54 pm
    lanningjw wrote:
    I just purchase the JD 1130SE. I called the JD dealer and he knows nothing about the &quot;Retro fix&quot; for the Drive slippage problem.  The Sevice guy started to laugh when I told him that I was getting my information from the internet. He was not interested in what people were saying and said that he checked and found nothing about a cover or anything from B and S. </p><p>Well, I will have to wait until the snow flys in Minneapolis to find out if it slips and has problems. Maybe this is a isolated incident. If you can supply me with the &quot;Fix&quot; that your dealer did for you I can follow up with the dealer.</p><p>Jim

Sounds like your dealer is tuned out. I find it annoying as hell when dealers of anything scoff at the idea of information from the internet. I personally think it embarrasses them. Particularly when they are proved wrong. I've had that experience with motorcycle shops and OPE shops. The difference is that I do my homework thoroughly before I go in. When they start feeding me BS and arguing that the internet info is wrong, I challenge them on it. After all, fifty unbiased opinions from participants of forums must account for something vs. the very much biased opinion of the dealer. Put it in their face and keep it there. I find that their argument rapidly deteriorates in the presence of research, facts and the reported experience of others.
    Catt

Reply #100   Oct 16, 2009 8:57 am
    I was at a Lowe's store a couple of weeks ago looking at the 1130SE.  They had both last year's and this year's versions of the Deere 1130SE on the floor.  The old version had the plastic belt cover where I could stick my finger through openings on the engine side of the cover.  The new model has additional plastic that has no opening what so ever.  It also seems more robust on that edge.  You might want to ask the "service guy" why Deere spent money tooling up a different cover.  He's an idiot.

Here are the differences I saw between the two models.

1) Belt cover is completely sealed from what I can tell versus last year's model with gaping holes.
    2) Electric chute rotation now versus the hand crank.
    3) Engine exhaust cover is now made of heavier gauge metal.   This doesn't bend as easy.
    4) The hand control cables for blower and wheel engagement don't cam around the black plastic rollers anymore.
    5) The upper chute hinge no longer uses a spring on top of the chute.  It's now a compression spring arrangement on the side of the chute.
    This message was modified Oct 16, 2009 by Catt
    borat

Reply #101   Oct 16, 2009 6:09 pm
    LennyB wrote:
    lanningjw,<BR><BR>I have ordered my kit from the dealer and I have not heard anything yet. It's been about 14 days. I'll give them a little more time before I start nagging again.<BR><BR>Like I said, once I get the kit I'll post back with the results, a few  photos, and the part numbers.<BR><BR>Hopefully that information can help everyone else.<br type="_moz"/>

Although my Simplicity didn't suffer too bad from snow getting inside and onto the drive system, I did have it happen once or twice in exceptionally deep snow. I made a seal/shield from a piece of inner tube that I glued and riveted to the engine side of the belt cover. Not the prettiest fix in the world but it does the job. It's good to go. Just waiting for some snow now.
    lanningjw

Reply #102   Oct 16, 2009 6:42 pm
    I bought last years 1130 for $850, so I guess if I have to mess around with with a getting cover from a dealer who has no idea what I am talking about it is worth the effort. I should not have to use the JD until Nov. Hope I can get that part number before we get snow. Maybe I can use duck tape and tin foil and wrap it around the cover until I get the fix kit number.<BR><BR>BTW Last night I sold my Simplicity 8/28 Snowbuster. It was a really clean machine with the big orange snow cab.
    This message was modified Oct 16, 2009 by lanningjw
    Catt

Reply #103   Oct 16, 2009 7:08 pm
    lanningjw, that is a fantastic deal!  You can get the newer belt cover and with that great price you'll be set.  You might get the part number from the newer version.  I ordered the newer version 1130SE and should take delivery in a week. It cost a lot more than $850.  I'm in Minnesota too.  Maybe when I take delivery from the Deere dealer I can get a part number.
    This message was modified Oct 16, 2009 by Catt
    lanningjw

Reply #104   Oct 17, 2009 3:40 pm
    Catt where at you in MPLS? I started mine up and it fire right off w/o the electric start. Its a huge machine and its the mean green machine. It should throw snow 40 feet and I think we are gonna get some this winter and we are gonna have it made. I can say this so far it moves soooooooo much better than My last 2 stage. Easy to turn and handles well.

Do you have a large driveway? Jim

Ozzie

Reply #105   Oct 18, 2009 8:04 am
    lanningjw wrote:
    I just purchase the JD 1130SE. I called the JD dealer and he knows nothing about the "Retro fix" for the Drive slippage problem.  The Sevice guy started to laugh when I told him that I was getting my information from the internet. He was not interested in what people were saying and said that he checked and found nothing about a cover or anything from B and S.

Well, I will have to wait until the snow flys in Minneapolis to find out if it slips and has problems. Maybe this is a isolated incident. If you can supply me with the "Fix" that your dealer did for you I can follow up with the dealer.

Jim

i had the same problem with my JD 9/28 bought new in december 08, these machines were shipped with 3 parts missing by the belt cover, my dealer laughed at me as well till i had him look up the parts diagram for the belt cover and pulley, it showed a shaft seal, a seal plate and a seal strip, then i took him over to a machine sitting in the show room, and sure enough these parts were not installed, if you go back to post #77 of this thread, the part # are there, but i think these are simplicity part #'s, your dealer has to do this repair on warranty
    good luck
    Catt

Reply #106   Oct 18, 2009 1:33 pm
    lanningjw, I'm in Saint Paul.  My driveway isn't huge but I like big toys.  I plan to put a cab on the 1130 as I've gotten tired of having snow blow at my face.  Can't wait to get delivery and run it around the driveway.  I'm really looking forward to the easy steer.
    This message was modified Oct 18, 2009 by Catt
    JasonSmits

Reply #107   Oct 23, 2009 7:57 pm
    Just bought the New 1130SE from a John Deere dealer in my home town. I have spent all day reading the manual and checking the machine. I found that everything was inplace and assembly and all parts were there. The only problem I found was that there was way too much oil in it. The delivery man started the machine a couple of times for me to show me how it worked. I got the extra oil out and checked for any blown seals but all seams fine. Just a note that if you buy one to check the oil before you start.

The Auger is 14in

I haven't gotten into the gut of the machine yet but the Easy Steer system works great. Both wheels turn one faster then the other to accomplish the turn. The regular guy that deals with the snow blowers was in the States for traning so I didnt get much info.

The electric shoot rotation is really cool... but I think there is potential for a jam in the snow. Im looking forward to the first storm.

Jason
    Replies: 98 - 107 of 333Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
    Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
    AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
    Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
    Site by Take 42