Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > SNOWBLOWER Simplicity 522E or Honda HS520C

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
GASK

SNOWBLOWER Simplicity 522E or Honda HS520C
Original Message   Oct 6, 2009 12:10 pm
I'm buying a new snowblower in the smaller size for a driveway and sidewalk. Can anyone comment on the Simplicity 522E or Honda HS520C please? These are both single stage and compact for good storage.
Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: SNOWBLOWER Simplicity 522E or Honda HS520C
Reply #4   Oct 6, 2009 5:21 pm
I have a HS621 with the GX160 engine. I love that engine. I'm going to hang on this machine as long as I can. If Honda USA still markets this snowblower, it would be selling for $1300. Yikes.
aa335

Reply #5   Oct 6, 2009 5:22 pm
superbuick wrote:
GC motors are crap.  I'd take a hampster in a wheel over a GC - just my opinion.<BR><BR>Great post.

U gonna need a lot of hamsters. :)
borat

Reply #6   Oct 6, 2009 5:23 pm
superbuick wrote:
I agree with your post except for this.  GX motors are heavenly - GC motors are crap.  I'd take a hampster in a wheel over a GC - just my opinion.<BR><BR>Great post.

I've only used the GX series Honda engines. Honda aren't doing much for their reputation by producing the GC series engines, in my opinion. I'll take a B&S IC series engine over a GC but I'd hazard to guess that the aluminum bore B&S engines are probably similar in quality to the Honda GC. I'm not certain of this because I've never done an A-B comparison. Given that the aluminum bore engines are B&S lower end units, it's not much of a stretch to believe that they aren't much better than the GC. Anyone know for sure?
aa335

Reply #7   Oct 8, 2009 12:37 am
GASK wrote:
I'm buying a new snowblower in the smaller size for a driveway and sidewalk. Can anyone comment on the Simplicity 522E or Honda HS520C please? These are both single stage and compact for good storage.

Have you looked at or considered a Toro 221QR?  Or you only want a single stage with a 4-stroke engine?
superbuick

Reply #8   Oct 9, 2009 6:07 pm
aa335 wrote:
Have you looked at or considered a Toro 221QR?  Or you only want a single stage with a 4-stroke engine?
I'd also recommend looking at the 221 Toro.  I'm not hesitant to say it is far and away the best single stage snowblower currently on the market.  Its worth a look.  The Toro auger/housing design throws snow incredibly well.  If you insist on 4 stroke (aka insisting on less power, more weight, and more maintenance) then check out the 421 Toro. 
GASK

Reply #9   Oct 11, 2009 12:46 pm
Sure appeciate all the replies and information. I thought I wanted just a 4-stroke, one-stage. I'm limited to its storage space. Also, we don't get a lot of snow where I live; however, there are those days!!! Also, I hav a large driveway but a small sidewalk, so it's primarily to clear away the snow on the driveway and the mess the street cleaners leave right at the end of the driveway. My driveway is cement and it's pretty much clear of any debris that would get in the blades.

Is the Toro a 2-stroke? I recall a video on YouTube of an older small Toro ploughing through snow in the woods and it was incredible. Just never wore out and really cleared the snow.

Any other thoughts on this would be appreciated.

superbuick

Reply #10   Oct 11, 2009 7:25 pm
The Toro 221 series (and the 210) are 2 strokes.  They are VERY underrated at 6.5hp, lightweight, reliable, and very easy to start.  The Toro 421, Snapper, and Honda are 4 strokes that are marketed as superior but in reality are more complex, heavier, weaker, and require regular oil changes.  The common knock against 2 strokes is the "messy mixing of oil and gas"- this is a complete load of crap.  If you can make a cup of tea, coffee, or lemonade, then you can mix oil and gas.  You buy a gallon of gas, then dump the pre-measured bottle of 2 stroke oil (included with the snowblower and available at any hardware store, home depot, lowes, etc.) into the gallon of gas.  Done.  MUCH easier than changing the oil in your 4 stroke motor each season.

When it comes to single stage snowblowers, I'm partial to 2 strokes and also to the Toro auger design.  I've run the Honda 520 quite a bit, but never the snapper (though I used an old MTD that had the same auger design and it isn't very good).  In back to back comparisons, the Toro 2 stroke out threw the Honda handily.  I've never run the Toro 4 stroke, but with the way the 2 stroke performs I can't see a need to.
andrelaplume

Reply #11   Oct 20, 2009 10:55 am
I only post because I have a 13 year old Simplicity.  My only comments are regarding servicing.  I have no doubt designs have changed but sevicing mine is a royal pain.  You essentially have to remove the top cowl, back cowl, auger...almost dissasemble the whole thing just to get at the carb!  It was always a surcharge when it went in for service and the guys in the back never looked real happy about it.  My newer toro however is very simple to access everything.

Like I said, design likely has changed but I'd ask the dealer on each model you are interested in: 'Hey if I want to drop the bowl, whats involved?'

GASK

Fuel stabilizer
Reply #12   Nov 4, 2009 8:31 pm
Well I went with the Honda Model HS520C for just over $1000. I live in a small place and it seemed every time I went to one of the local stores or dealers they were sold out or they got something new in. This one just came in the day I stopped by and it had an electric start so I quickly bought it.  Originally they said they'd not be able to get them in or they'd not be the electric start model.

Has anyone had any experience with the fuel stabilizer? What happens if you don't use this or is it something that should always be used?

Of course now that I have this it won't snow, right?

borat

Reply #13   Nov 4, 2009 8:43 pm
I use SeaFoam as a fuel stabilizer. It also has other medicinal benefits for fuel system,carb and engine.
Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42