Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > my old toro 826 dies when I engage the auger or the drive train.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
pulcastro

my old toro 826 dies when I engage the auger or the drive train.
Original Message   Oct 6, 2009 8:15 am
My old toro 826 snowblower starts and idles fine, but, whenever I engage the wheels or the auger it stalls out immediately. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? It has a new gas filter and spark plug this year.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
trouts2

Re: my old toro 826 dies when I engage the auger or the drive train.
Reply #1   Oct 6, 2009 9:12 am
Could be serveral things but the most likely is starved gas from dirt in the carb. You can drain the carb bowl if it has a button on the bottom. If no drop the bowl by unscrewing the bowl nut. Be careful not to let the float drop too far as the needle will fall out.
If those things don't work then you'll probalby have to pull the carb and fully clean it.
An idling engine uses very little fuel. When you place a demand on it the required fuel it much higher. When carb passages are partially blocked some gas can get around but when the load increases enough gas can not. Since you can restart the carb is not fully blocked.
It seems like you can restart fairly quickly. If it's taking a long timeto restart then it could be a vacuum is building up in the tank from a clogged vent in the cap. If you can restart quickly then it's probably a dirty carb.
david
borat

Reply #2   Oct 6, 2009 10:02 am
Trouts pretty much defined the most likely problem. Check the vent hole in you fuel cap. It can also lead to fuel starvation although, not as quickly as a dirty carb will. Check your fuel lines as well and, in particular, the outlet from the tank. Usually there's a small screen/filter in there. It can also get clogged with debris. If it is, your fuel tank should be removed and thoroughly washed.
friiy

Reply #3   Oct 6, 2009 10:54 am
I bet it is the main jet/ nozzel of the carb. I bet if you unscrew it it will have something in the nozzel holes..

Good Luck,
Friiy
This message was modified Oct 6, 2009 by friiy
pulcastro

Reply #4   Oct 7, 2009 7:47 am
thanks to everyone who replied - it is pouring rain today so ... Tomorrow I will try checking the hole in the tank cap and cleaning out the carb.
I'll let you all know how I make out.
Thanks again.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42