Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snowblowers: Honda, Ariens, Toro, or Craftsman

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
skier1

Snowblowers: Honda, Ariens, Toro, or Craftsman
Original Message   Sep 28, 2009 2:53 pm
I am shopping for a snowblower and cannot find anyone with accurate reliablilty of any of the major brands. I read consumer reports, but they do not list anything about long term investment. I am leary of thier top pick as I have seen issues with that brand of motor elsewhere. I am likely to buy a 2 stage 9 horse (300cc ) as i live on a cul-du-sac adn get plowed in pretty regualrly.

I also am trying to be considerate of my 5'9" wife and her ability to use anything, and my over eager 11year old son that is 5'

Anyone that can help?

Replies: 13 - 18 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
mfduffy

Re: Snowblowers: Honda, Ariens, Toro, or Craftsman
Reply #13   Oct 9, 2009 4:09 pm
aa335 wrote:
I also don't care for local dealers that bad mouth big box stores. I dont mind buying throwaways stuff when local dealers are charging me for repairs that amount to 80% of a new one.

That is an excellent, excellent point.  Unless you have the ability and/or time and patience to do repairs yourself, repairs too often do not cost-benefit.  Even Consumer Reports flat-out tells people not to bother repairing lawn mowers -- just buy a new one, they say.  The situation creates a vicious cycle where everything becomes disposable.  At that point, unit cost, retail price, and volume trumps everything.  And under such circumstances -- where the consumer has an expectation of disposability and limited service life -- the big boxes serve the market better than any small dealer can.  It's sad, but true.
aa335

Reply #14   Oct 10, 2009 7:30 pm
Yes, it is a vicious cycle. I try not to contribute to this. But shellac happens and people learn.

My brother in law bought a used $80 Craftsman mower with a Honda GC160 engine from a garage sale. He was told it was recently tuned up, whatever that means nowadays. It didn't run or start consistently. He took it to a local OPE repair shop. $200 and 4 weeks later, still didn't run very well and hard to start. Dealer blamed it on bad gas. So that's $280 down the tubes. Now that was not the best purchase and decision to put $200 towards repair of a $80 mower. But would it serve him better if this local dealer advised him to consider a new mower altogether or a new engine transplant? Or $xxx/hr shop rate means he's not going to get an engine. I don't know what kind of service was performed for $200, but I would have walked out with just paying for the diagnostic cost and call it a learning experience.

Sorry, not to rant too much. But there are people that are not mechanically inclined that gets ripped off. In their case, it would serve them better just to throw away and get a new one. I'm sure with todays tough EPA regulations, using fresh gas and properly maintain your engines is more important than ever. How about OPE dealers educate people on proper feeding and care of their engines instead of sticking the shaft to people for their ignorance?
This message was modified Oct 10, 2009 by aa335
borat

Reply #15   Oct 10, 2009 10:42 pm
How about OPE dealers educate people on proper feeding and care of their engines instead of sticking the shaft to people for their ignorance?

An honorable gesture. However, there's no money it that.

I know it's not fair to paint all dealers with the same brush but, the number of straight shooters in dealerships of any kind are relatively rare. They are in business to make money, not friends. In smaller communities where word of mouth travels fast and victims are far and few between, dealers tend to be good people. In the larger urban centers where potential customers are in sufficient numbers to perpetuate even the sleaziest dealers, you will find greater concentrations of deceitful dealerships. Ignorance is expensive. If more people participated in forums such as this and shed their fear of the unknown, they could invest the money they squander at a dealership on some decent tools instead. The nice thing about making your first repair is the confidence it inspires in a person. Most of the problems encountered with OPE can be fixed with minimum investment provided the person has taken the time to do some research, ask a few questions and obtain clear instructions. I know of two instances this year where two neighbours paid big bucks to have some oil drained from an over filled engine and another to have a carburetor replaced when in fact, it only had to be cleaned. Both jobs were doable by any novice with basic tools and good instructions. I actually offer to help one of them but they decided the mower needed a tune up and brought it to the dealer. Two weeks and $400.00 later, they got their mower back. The mower had sat in a heated garage unused for several years. All it need was to have the carb cleaned. The dealer told them that the carb had to be replaced..... Hence the $400.00 repair bill! I offered to fix it for free. Live and learn.
nhmatt

Reply #16   Oct 21, 2009 9:39 pm
I don't see a difference between any of the brands anymore (except honda). Even Simplicity is starting to cheap out, and their older machines are tanks compared to what is being sold. They're pulling the same crap as Ariens now, with a stripped down model. Still, the "dealer" machine feels pretty rugged.

Honda is over-priced. I think their machines are 3x as good as the junk sold at Home Depot, but I don't think the actual act of snow removal via a snowblower is worth what they charge. At full-price, I'd just as soon buy garbage every 2-3 years and keep money in the bank in case global warming picks up speed.

That being said, my 1132TAS is still sleeping under its tarp in the shed, waiting............
borat

Reply #17   Oct 22, 2009 10:15 am
Can't say that I agree with buying garbage every few years rather than laying out the cash for a decent machine. First of all, we're supporting sub-par quality production and more importantly, having a failure prone, poorly designed machine that can barely blow your hat off would be frustrating indeed. I have no problem paying the right price for a good quality snow thrower. The $1500.00 that I spent on the pre-Briggs and Stratton Simplicity two years ago, was money well spent. It was a very good value and I'm certain that neither Simplicity nor the dealer didn't lose their shirt selling it for that price. I'd say that knowledgeable people know that a premium must be charged for quality. However, when the premium remains and quality slides as we are seeing with the leading domestic manufacturers, the consumer is being taken advantage of. Particularly brand loyalists who have trusted a manufacturer for decades. Those of us who have been fortunate enough to have purchased the last of the well built, reasonably priced machines would be wise to take very good care of them. The future is not looking too bright for high quality, reasonably priced domestic OPE. If the domestics continue to cheapen their products, we'll be left with no choice other than to shell out big money for Honda, Yamaha and who knows, maybe some new Chinese or other foreign upstarts!
aa335

Reply #18   Oct 22, 2009 2:13 pm
Borat,

You hit it right on the head.  I have a Honda snowblower and they are quite expensive for what they are.  However, after careful evaluation of all the domestic offering, I decided to suck it up and pay the premium price that they command.  Honda price is 2 times an equivalent domestic model (size, hp, features).  It doesn't blow snow twice as better just as much as a $60,000 car isn't twice as nice as a $30,000 car.  It isn't twice as thick or twice as heavy, or twice as powerful.  But it has two things that I wanted, tracks and hydro transmission.  And despite being lower hp rating (be it underrated or conservative), it is quite efficient at moving snow.

If you are fortunate to find a used Honda at good prices, that's awesome.  Those are hard to come by though.
This message was modified Oct 22, 2009 by aa335
Replies: 13 - 18 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42