Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > The 2009 simplicity L1226E or 2009 Ariens Deluxe 27 ????

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Tim123

The 2009 simplicity L1226E or 2009 Ariens Deluxe 27 ????
Original Message   Sep 14, 2009 8:09 pm
I'm going to buy a new snowthrower this month. I have looked at several brands and have cut the list down to the simplicity L1226E or the Ariens Deluxe 27 ( models are 2009)but have not limited my search to only these two models and are open to suggestions of any others. Both are priced @ $999.oo for a couple more weeks, or so they say. The Ariens Deluxe 27 offers the "easy turn" on the drive , which the simplicity does not offer at that prcie. Simplicity offers that feature on their L1428E( which also has a motor w/13.50 ft-lbs gross torque for around $1250.00
I am a current owner of a 1970's model simplicity 6hp that has preformed very very well over the years that I have owned it. I bought it used almost 20 years ago and do not want to put any more money into it's up-keep/maintanance.
Any feedback would be of great help,/peace of mind
Let it snow
Tim- from snowy Minnesota
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Krank

Re: The 2009 simplicity L1226E or 2009 Ariens Deluxe 27 ????
Reply #1   Sep 15, 2009 6:28 pm
Hi Tim,

I recently purchased the Simplicity L1428E. I was considering the 1226 but I decided that I would spend the little bit extra for the extra features of the 1428; extra torque and hp of the larger engine, easy turn, larger tires and cast iron gear case. Both of these machines have the electric chute rotation that the Deluxe 27 does not. I did not want to buy a new unit and then a year or two or three later decide that I should have gotten the bigger unit.
Another thing is consider the dealer that you would be buying the unit from. The Simplicity dealer where I bought mine from is top notch.
Snowmann

Reply #2   Sep 15, 2009 8:50 pm
The Ariens 27LE Deluxe has quite a few advantages over the L1226LE:

Forged crankshaft and ball bearing journals (cast crank and bushings on the Simplicity)
Heavy 1" diameter axle (3/4" on Simplicity)
Gusseted fully welded frame (27 welds) with welded-in engineered truss sub-frame (vs. bolt together frame with a doubler plate on top)
Large 6" x .625 friction disk versus 4.34" x .5" on Simplicity (lasts longer, better final drive ratio for more torque)
Remote Locking axle (L1226E has pin-lock only)
Large 14" impeller (vs. 12") for higher volumetric capacity and increased throwing distance
Dual belt auger drive (vs. single) to eliminate belt adjustments and transmit continuous full power without compromising belts
Ball bearings on high speed friction disk shaft (bushings on Simplicity L1226E)
3 year warranty vs. 2 year
A superior XS auger gear box with larger alloy steel auger gear and larger power transfer shafts (vs. Murray derived aluminum box)
A 2009 Consumer Reports "Recommended" rating

The Simplicity L1226E adds:

Remote cap deflector
Power chute rotation (2009)

Notes: the auger gear case being used on the Simplicity L1226E model (for 2009) is derived from Briggs' entry level Murray products . To my knowledge it has always driven 12" augers, not 14" (which the L1226E uses). This is 17% more load on the gear box...It may or may not be an issue. Last year it used the cast iron Simplicity box from the L1428E.
The 2009 Simplicity models also apparently dumped the all-plastic auger shaft pilot bushings and went to sintered steel, which is good
This message was modified Sep 16, 2009 by Snowmann
Terra_Nova

Reply #3   Oct 4, 2009 2:40 pm
I'm trying to make the very same decision myself.

Snowmann, very informative post, where can one find details like this?

I was leaning towards the Simplicity based on experience and reputation, plus the dealer is 5 minutes from my house, and having bought my tractor, string trimmer, etc there I have a good relationship with them. Your post leads me to believe that the new Simplicities are now just expensive Murrays... When you say Murray derived gear box, what leads you to that conclusion? Kicking tires of both left me more impressed with the Simplicity. Though the electric shoot control does concern me.

Guess the point of my post. In real world conditions how real are the advantages of the Ariens? Home Depot is the only Ariens dealer close and that thought makes me shudder...

Thanks!
This message was modified Oct 4, 2009 by Terra_Nova
Terra_Nova

Reply #4   Oct 6, 2009 2:26 pm
Any thoughts on how the Simplicity L1428E stacks up against the Ariens Deulxe 27?  Aside from the $3-400+ price hit that is...   Looks like it will net you a cast iron gear case, easy turn (vs. diff lock on the Ariens), remote deflector control, and electric shoot rotation.

The bells and whistles don't impress me that much but the little lady (quite litterally) is threatening to want to run this while I'm at work.  I think the steeing assist and additional shoot controls would be a benefit for that. 

tempted to look into the pro model but for that price I could darn near get two Ariens 27 deluxes :-)

Thanks!!

This message was modified Oct 6, 2009 by Terra_Nova
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42