Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 24" Deluxe, 27" deluxe and 924 DLE, Toro 828XLE, SimplicityST2718

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
gsnow

Ariens 24" Deluxe, 27" deluxe and 924 DLE, Toro 828XLE, SimplicityST2718
Original Message   Aug 31, 2009 12:08 am
Hello,

I have a driveway 40ft X 25ft + 60ft sidewalk, and get quite a lot of snow.

I wanted to get the 24" deluxe (for space) but found it hard to maneuver with both wheels locked, not bad with one wheel unlocked.

I was thinking of moving up to the 27" deluxe (larger than I need) which has the trigger for wheel locking for an extra $130.

My local dealer suggests I upgrade to the 24 DLE  with the automatic traction control, light, handwarmer for $ 464 more than the 24 deluxe.

For a little more I can get a Toro 828 XLE which has the power steering (also larger than I need).

Craftman has a 24" 249cc B+S power steeriing $ 1,000 - same features as the 24" DLE , but not sure about quality.

The locan dealer also suggest Simplicity 9hp 24" ST 2718 ?? for $ 1200. Lighter than the Ariens (not sure if it has traction control.

Can someone please advise which one is best bang for buck.

Snowman, you are the Ariens pro, is the 24 DLE worth that much more than the 24 deluxe or the 27 deluxe? Will Ariens have a sale

In Sept. or October that the Dealers will pass on to customers? I read that some Ariens had problems with the Friction Disk and Baffle plates

has to be installed, and chute control cable freezing. Have these issues been fixed in the 2009 units?

Thanks you all.

gsnow

Replies: 1 - 10 of 36NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Re: Ariens 24" Deluxe, 27" deluxe and 924 DLE, Toro 828XLE, SimplicityST2718
Reply #1   Aug 31, 2009 9:53 am
I own a Toro 828 XLE and can say without a doubt it is well worth the money. The steering alone makes mincemeat out of my neighbors snowthrower. He has a smaller driveway but has to spend 1/2 minute at the end of his driveway to get his machine back into position to go back up. Then he spends another 20 seconds of so cranking the chute to face the opposite direction. With about 15 of these turns he spends 15 minutes of his 30 minute just turning. Once you get used to the Toro with its joystick chute control, you can do everything in one smooth motion. My driveway is easily 50% larger than his and I finish mine in the same time he finishes his.

I stayed away from Ariens years ago when I joined this site due to the numerous quality control issues I read on this site. My neighbors bought an Ariens from Home Depot two years ago and ended up borrowing my five year old Toro for the last winter storm as their Ariens wouldn't start (actually I did their driveway because I don't like other people touching my Toro).

That's my 2¢

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
nibbler

Reply #2   Aug 31, 2009 12:26 pm
Ariens models with a DLE have a true differential, that means there is power going to both wheels as you go around a turn but the turn is still easy. The so called "power turn" feature uses one ore two triggers on the handle bars to disengaged one of the wheels. The "power turn" is just the single powered wheel tending to push the unit to the side. The main thing with the power turn is that one of the wheels is disengaged which makes turning in either direction a lot easier. I have not used a true differential machine but it is supposed to be better than the power turn mechanism.

Peronally I think the number one reason for engine problems with seasonal/intermittent use OPE is  stale gas leading to carburettor fouling.
gsnow

Reply #3   Aug 31, 2009 4:24 pm
Thanks snowremover and nibbler. By the way, it's my first snowblower, always used snowplowing service but had to do it myself during storm. 

I saw the Toro 828 XLE at Home Depot - nice machine but may be too big for my garage. I may have to stcik with the 24".

The Craftman has everything I need at the best price, but I am not sure about the reliability, I have read good and bad comments from owners.

The 24" DLE Ariens seems to be the better choice and nibbler has provided a very good explanation of the automatic traction and the wheel lock trigger.

However, the $ 500 extra vs the 24" deluxe is hefty, although over say 10 years it's not too bad.

Can one use the 24" deluxe with one wheel locked and one wheel unlocked all the time, that would solve the problem with mobility, but

I am not sure if plowing heavy snow and EOD will be too hard and keeping the machine straight will be a challenge.

Anyone tried it this way (one wheel free), please share your experience. 

gsnow.

aa335

Reply #4   Aug 31, 2009 11:03 pm
Even though I don't own a Toro two stage, I recommend the Toro 828 XLE that you are considering. While some manufacturers are trying to confuse consumers with myriads of product lines and fancy names and watering down their product, Toro has kept it simple for people to decide. There are four two-stage models, offering various sizes and horsepower.

The Toro 828 XLE may be 2008 model with the Tecumseh L head engine. The 2009 828 OXE model is equipped with a Briggs & Stratton overhead valve engine. Toro makes subtle model name changes which I thought you want to be aware of. Fuel efficiency, lower noise, and lower emission are in favor of the overhead valve engine.

Like SnowRemover said, the Quick Stick and the easy turning capability of the Toro is the "bang for the buck". The Toro is user friendly and build quality is decent.
This message was modified Aug 31, 2009 by aa335
gsnow

Reply #5   Sep 1, 2009 2:06 am
aa335

Thanks for the pointer on the new model. I will do some reading on Toro's  reliability and past problems . Don't know if they have a 24" model.

I read the thread about the 1136DLE problems, frozen cable on Chute deflector, friction disk problem, etc on the Ariens and I am getting worried.

For the amount of money one should not be fixing it in the first year, or be left stranded during a snowstorm. 

Although some posters are very happy with the 24" DLE and the 9526DLE.

Sounds like Honda (lots of dough) has the best relliability, I'll do more research as well.

Simplicity also has satisfied owners, I am not familiar with this brand.

Snowmann

Reply #6   Sep 1, 2009 12:19 pm
&lt;BR&gt;<BR> gsnow wrote:
Snowman, you are the Ariens pro, is the 24 DLE worth that much more than the 24 deluxe or the 27 deluxe? Will Ariens have a sale&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;In Sept. or October that the Dealers will pass on to customers? I read that some Ariens had problems with the Friction Disk and Baffle plates&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;has to be installed, and chute control cable freezing. Have these issues been fixed in the 2009 units?&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;Thanks you all.&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;gsnow&lt;BR&gt;

Gsnow,

The Platinum 24 should promo at $1299. Make sure you get it for that. It is still preseason after all. And yes, it's worth the extra $ if you can afford it. The Auto Traction Control is a feature unmatched by any OEM, plus you get the handwarmers and Quick Turn chute. Perhaps check out the remote locking axle on the 27LE as well? It would be best to go to a dealer and test drive each so you know what you're getting.

2009 models have all the latest features to reduce freeze-up and water infiltration. Updated (2009) freeze resistant cap deflector and chute lock cables, water penetration baffles, freeze resistant impellers. Some, but not all of these features were present last year (or part of last year).

The more recent friction disk slippage issues were prevalent on most brands (see the John Deere 1130 threads on this or the other forum, made by Simplicity). This phenomena is reproduceable on nearly every Briggs equipped snowblower of recent vintage. Their PTO covers have alot of embossments and voids that collect the snow and drain water in the belt drives behind the belt covers (Tecumseh's were near flat). Just this year Briggs flattened these embossments on some specs of 205 and 249cc engines. The transition to Briggs happened rather quickly when Tecumseh departed the market. The haste caused some of these issues.

Many of the problems noted on this forum are legacy designs that haven't been in production for many years. New units would not necessarily exhibit similar problems. Deluxe and Pro units now have an industry-best dual aramid belt auger drive that eliminates belt adjustments and slippage and can trasmit 100% continuous full power. Final drive ratios (for superior wheel torque) have been upgraded (the small 4.34 inch friction disk was dumped from even compact units), super-sturdy gearcases, power transfer shafts, and frames ... the list is too lengthy to detail here, but it's all transitioned in the last 5 years. Also keep in mind Ariens sells more 2 stage snowblowers than Honda, John Deere, Toro, Simplicity, and Snapper combined. There will naturally be more units with issues on these forums even if the percentage of problems (versus quantity built) is lower.

Let me know if you have any further questions.&lt;BR&gt;&lt;BR&gt;
This message was modified Sep 1, 2009 by Snowmann
aa335

Reply #7   Sep 1, 2009 2:09 pm
Gsnow,

Looks like you're off to an early start looking into snowblowers. At this time of the year, the only blower I'm thinking about is a leaf blower.

As you already know, the Honda is a lot of dough, a reputation well established by fans and haters. "Bang for the buck" and Honda don't go hand in hand, unless you are talking about Civics.

With that disclaimer out of the way, Honda has a 24" model, HS724WA, that fits your concerns about a 28" being large for the garage. The HS724 is fairly compact and lightweight. I venture to say that it should be easy to turn without the differential. You do have to crank the chute though.

As snowman said, the slipping friction disk epidemic of 2008 is an easy fix which should be taken care of for new production in 2009.
oakville

Reply #8   Sep 1, 2009 4:06 pm
i have a 2004 26" DLE, and it is awesome - very easy to maneuver.  some slippage on ice but once i pull the locking trigger i'm fine.

the heated handle grips work so well i just wear suede work gloves in the coldest weather.

gsnow

Reply #9   Sep 2, 2009 12:35 am
Thanks snowman for explaining the problems and updating the fixes.  Hope I do not end up with a lemon if I do decide to choose an Ariens.

Can you please comment on the Toro 828 OXE 2009, (build, powermax, no shear pin in auger etc.)  I like the chute control (although it feels plasticky). Their finger locking control is similar to the 27" deluxe Ariens's trigger.

It is a little larger than what I need, but  so many good reviews from owners and on youtube. I am clearing my garage to see how much space I have before choosing the snowblower.

I am in Richmond Hill , Ontario  the dealer price is Cdn $ 1100 for the 24"deluxe, $ 1230 27" deluxe and $ 1,560 for the 924DLE. The DLE is still $ 130 too much using 1.10 cdn to US $1  correct?

Can you please refer me a dealer that will sell it for Cdn $ 1400 Promo in the Greater Toronto Area or Richmond Hill? 

Oakville - thanks, glad to see you are happy with your 9526 DLE, how do you lock the wheel to prevent slipping? I tried to find it at Home Depot but did not see a pin, or lock?

Are you in Oakville Ontario?

aa335 I checked the price on the Honda, it's twice the price of the Ariens 924DLE. !!!

gsnow

aa335

Reply #10   Sep 2, 2009 9:33 am
I heard that Honda prices in Canada is outrageous. The good news is electric chute rotation/deflection, on-board battery starter is available in Canada market, and some of that money goes towards Ministry of Health to provide public health care.

The bad news is that none of what I just said is available in USA. :( Not yet.

Seriously, I would only consider a Honda if need hydrostatic transmission/track drive for steep inclined driveway.
This message was modified Sep 2, 2009 by aa335
Replies: 1 - 10 of 36NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42