Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Retiring soon - want a SnowBlower that is dependable and will last?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
justme

Retiring soon - want a SnowBlower that is dependable and will last?
Original Message   Aug 13, 2009 4:25 pm

1st time snow blower.  Getting on in years and just don't want the work or risk in shoveling anymore.  Only thing I know about Snow blowers is I see guys covered in snow, pushing them in their driveways,

snow flying every where and 3 hours later when I drive back their still at it.   I have a plow for my 600' dirt driveway so no problem.  I need to make 3 separate foot paths app 60' long each around the house to get to shed, wood pile and basement.  S.E. Ma usually several 8" - 12" storms.

Going over fairly level grass terrain. This forum was very helpful and what I have come up with is the following.

I would like to spend under $1,000.  But after reading here getting up to $1300. Want dependability and something that will last 10 years.!!

Ariens ST24 DLE                    Eng  BS  Trq  11.5   $1299.

Simplicity Int                          Eng  BS   Trq    9.0  $1100.

PoulanPro   PR827ES            Eng BS         800cc  $899.

No Craftsman, never had anything last from them.

I would buy the Ariens based on feedback on this site.  Want the Poulan and have read many positive reviews but NO negative which concerns me.

Any advice would be most appreciated.  I want something that I don't have to keep adjusting and will last me for some time.  None of the local dealers have stock ( guess due to the economy for inventory) so

will make a decision based on internet and buy local if I can or net.  AND is this the time to buy or wait 2 months?

thanks

Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
niper99

Re: Retiring soon - want a SnowBlower that is dependable and will last?
Reply #1   Aug 19, 2009 6:15 pm
personally l would go with the Simplicity!
mech12

Reply #2   Aug 20, 2009 9:17 am
      i also would lean towards the simplicity.
NHSnowbeast

Reply #3   Aug 20, 2009 12:05 pm
I have had a few snow-blowers with not much luck in dependability. The MTD I had ran for 12 years without maintenance (but I was lucky). Recent research would have me lean toward the Simplicity.
Snowmann

Reply #4   Aug 22, 2009 10:14 am

Be aware the latest Simplicity and Snapper models aren't necessarily the robust units of old. After Briggs' Murray acquisition they've been shifting their platforms over to Murray hybrids.  For the most part, they are legacy Simplicity blower heads on Murray platforms (see photo comparison). In the case of the new Snappers on Sear's website, even a Murray blower head (making it a platform clone to the Brute models sold at WalMart). The only models not grossly affected are the the Signature Pro series and the Snapper XL.

Furthermore, these Simplicity Intermediate size models have smallish 10" impellers. This is more in-kind with a compact unit. The impeller is the flow limiter for any snowblower. Keep this in mind if you need to move -alot- of snow.

The last "full-mama" Simplicity in this category would have been an 860ei I believe, perhaps 3 or 4 years ago.

This still might be a good purchase for you, as these Simplicity Intermediate models are not exactly bottom feeder units (but I think the price is too high for what you get). It should just be clarified that most of the preceding recommendations from others are probably predicated on brand equity which was built on legacy products, not these latest ones. Essentially, the Simplicity that everyone remembers doesn't exist anymore. The factory was closed. Now it's simply a brand in the Briggs and Stratton portfolio.
This message was modified Aug 22, 2009 by Snowmann
mfduffy

Reply #5   Sep 9, 2009 7:24 am
If you can, take a look at the Simplicity Large Frame models. These units are what most folks on this forum are referring to when they say they've bought a Simplicity in the last few years. I've had one of their "Signature Pros" for three years now and love it. The most important factor -- find a good dealer that you trust and will service the unit!

http://www.simplicitymfg.com/products/snowthrowers/large_frame_dual-stage/

http://www.simplicitymfg.com/products/snowthrowers/large_frame_dual-stage/specs/index.cfm
borat

Reply #6   Sep 10, 2009 8:00 pm
If you can get a Simplicity built prior to 2008, it will probably be one of the better quality units available. A cast iron gear box will be a good indicator. Look to see if there are some old stock units still available. If not, the Simplicity Pro series (if still being built) are one of the best snow throwers made. Then there's Honda and possibly Yamaha if available in your area.
superbuick

Reply #7   Sep 11, 2009 12:26 pm
I'm surprised you haven't considered any models from the Toro line. Specifically the powermax series.
nhmatt

Reply #8   Sep 17, 2009 9:11 pm
Get a honda. Sure lots of money but if you're retiring you can afford it!

1.) Lightest machine made. Period. No problem swinging it around.
2.) Hydro transmission is better than the slip-o-matic.
3.) So easy to start you won't waste your time plugging it in.
4.) A smaller honda will throw more snow than a larger competitor.

If you buy a honda, you will never, ever have to buy another snowblower.
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42