Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > starter or battery

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mark044

starter or battery
Original Message   Aug 2, 2009 11:23 pm
hey guys , why will my lawn tractor start  perfect when the engine is cold ,but if I run it for a while and shut it off then try starting it again it seems the battery dead? But if I wait 1 hour or so { the motor cool down}  it will start up with no proplems????   this is a head banger???
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
borat

Re: starter or battery
Reply #1   Aug 3, 2009 9:50 am
How clean are your battery terminals. Make sure they are very clean. I just had a problem with my truck not starting. I suspected the battery was shot. The truck would start with a boost every time. I pulled the terminals and cleaned them by scraping corrosion off with a pocket knife. Problem still existed. I tested the battery and it was fine. I then came to the conclusion that when I boosted the battery, I was bypassing it due to the jumper cables attaching on the outside of the terminals. I pulled the terminals again and gave them a very thorough cleaning with a Dremmel wire brush attachment, coated them with dielectric grease and re-installed. Problem solved. Go over your wiring too. You might have a loose connection somewhere that is effected by heat.
niper99

Re: starter or battery
Reply #2   Aug 3, 2009 2:53 pm
hey marko44

yeah do eveything borat said first, if problem is still there then your starter may be getting "heat soaked", when the engine is hot the starter gets hot which causes the it to need more amps to turn the engine over. to test it properly u need to have a amp clamp and see what the starter is drawing when it gets hot. or what l do for alot of my customers is tell them to buy a bigger battery (Ex: if your battery has 180 cca try one that has 300 caa) just buy the battery with the most CCA. l'm 95% sure that will fix your problem. OR u could of course replace the starter but the battery is cheaper route.
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42