Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens lawn tractor steering wheel

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
dodges

Ariens lawn tractor steering wheel
Original Message   Jul 9, 2009 3:43 pm
I have an old Ariens lawn tractor that I am trying to refurbish.  I need to get the steering wheel off so I can remove the cowling to get at some levers that are frozen.  Does anyone know how to get the steering wheel off?  There appears to be some pins holding it on the shaft.  Can I just knock them out with a nail set or something similar?  I am soaking them at present since there appears to be a lot of rust in there.  Thank you...
Replies: 2 - 4 of 4Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
dodges

Re: Ariens lawn tractor steering wheel
Reply #2   Jul 14, 2009 4:39 pm
Can't post a picture....the parts diagram that I saw on line describes it as a pin...but the blow-up picture isn't much help...just looks like a pin.  I am not sure what a roll pin is...can I just use a punch  to punch it out?  If I can, I still might have to heat it up (carefully, because it's a plactic steering wheel!) because it still may be frozen on.  I really do appreciate your help...
friiy

Reply #3   Jul 15, 2009 1:37 am
A roll pin is a hollow pin with a split down the side and has tapered ends (slight taper)... A roll pin is a little harder to drill out (hardened spring steal). When it is driven in, it compresses under spring tension, and locks in a little tighter..

Yes, you can drill them out, and punch them out. But you should wear goggles, they can be brittle like a drill bit and shatter at times..

.... or it could be a regular pin and you just drive it out... (solid pin).

Good luck.

Friiy
mkfarnam

Reply #4   Jul 27, 2009 12:23 am
Is this one of those single blade, rear engine Ariens?
This message was modified Jul 27, 2009 by mkfarnam

Replies: 2 - 4 of 4Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42