Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > My Simplicity P1628E Snowbeast has arrived!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
NHSnowbeast

My Simplicity P1628E Snowbeast has arrived!
Original Message   May 26, 2009 5:32 pm
Well, I must confess... I have been lurking on this site for a while because my wife's yardsale put me in a bind. She sold my 12 year old 24" MTD with 10HP Tecumseh Snowblower at her yardsale. I bought this machine in 1997 for $599 at Sam's Club and sold it for $100. Now, you are probably going to hate me... but it still had the original oil, spark plug and belts. I had never applied a drop of lubricating oil or grease in anyplace on the machine. This machine started up 1st pull everytime for the 12 NH winters I used it... and never had a part failure other than a total of two shear bolts. It NEVER FAILED! So why get rid of it? I moved into a new house 3 years ago with a slightly larger driveway (100' ending at a 3-car garage with turn around, and front & rear brick walkways) and the MTD machine often required me to throw the snow, then throw it again as it was about 35' from my garage doors to the edge of the driveway. I just felt it was getting tired, but maybe it was my lack of care.  So we sold it.

I researched a week on this site, which caused me to learn a lot from many people far more savvy than me which are the decent machines to pursue. It also taught me how stupid my lack of maintenance was and how incredibly lucky I was, my lack of attention did not leave me stranded in the middle of a snowstorm at some time over the 12 years. Believe me, I have learned, and the new machine WILL BE maintained! I was probably convinced on the Simplicity brand by the very knowledgeable (and not always subtle) Borat's bias toward the brand! Thanks for sharing your insight).

I looked at Honda's (Did not like the track-drive or the price), Ariens (Liked the huge auger and impeller, but noticed many had  maintenance issues), Toro (Did not like the plastic chute or chute joystick), and Simplicity (Liked the C-channel handles, but did not like the electric chute control)... so each was a compromise of some sort.  Luckily, I found the Simplicity last and found the prices were very competitive with or cheaper than the others, because they were selling them out in an off-season sale.  I ran it around the parking lot (obviously without snow) and loved how it was balanced and handled lighter than it actually is. Sure, I couldn't throw snow, but have no reason to doubt the throwing capabilities stated in the discussions here.  So what was the final damage? Out the door at $1,784.15... I almost got the P1732E but was worried about the larger machine's handling characteristics, as we often get EOD ice left by the over-achieving city snowplows. The P1732E would have been $170 more, (still a great price). If anyone else is interested in these machines, they have plenty more, in Nashua NH.

Thanks to all who helped me make this decision... I now feel I am ready for winter.

Replies: 5 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Mike_in_NH

Re: My Simplicity P1628E Snowbeast has arrived!
Reply #5   May 27, 2009 1:56 pm
Congrats on your purchase! Great price too! I purchased the same machine in Manchester NH last fall for $1950. Timing is everything. I’ve used it for a season now and absolutely love it. Enjoy!
NHSnowbeast

Reply #6   May 27, 2009 3:28 pm
borat wrote:
Congrats.  You won't be disappointed. 

I'm assuming that your abused MTD had a relatively light duty history.  It wouldn't  have lasted three years in this country without proper maintenance.  

Borat- Thanks for your insight in particular... I agree with your "no gimmicks" approach, but I could not find any without the electic chute. Regarding your comment... It was 3 winters at the above described driveway but 9 at a two car garage (extended into a half-court basketball area), up a 7' hill about 60 feet long to the EOD... Not really light duty. In both houses, I had to throw, then throw again. (Hated that).
Actually it was 12 years of NH Snowfalls. Some 2-3 inches to 5-7 inches... but I'd say between 2-3 snowfalls every year over 12", (and two I remember were over two feet because it was higher than the bucket height)... I routinely would have a 2-4 foot pile of snowplow ice which it always cleared.  I can't explain it either. I Know I WAS LUCKY!!!
I never so much as adjusted any linkage. However, Last winter when I went through a 3" deep puddle at the EOD, I noted some slipping. Just waited about 5 mins and it worked fine after that.

This one will be maintained!!!!!!!!!

NHSnowbeast

Re: My Simplicity P1628E Snowbeast has arrived! Creeping?
Reply #7   May 29, 2009 12:38 pm
Well, I started it up and I played around with all the controls and all seem to be working great... except... No matter what gear (forward or reverse), when the machine is idling, it creeps rearward. At first I thought it was the very slight slope of my driveway, but when I pointed it downhill, it creeps uphill. I did a search on this discussion board and saw that someone a while back, had a similar issue with a Toro , and yet found nothing out of tolerance. Is this a common quirk, or something I should contact the dealer about?  I looked at the linkages, and they seem to be within tolerance, (Snug, but neither real tight nor with excessive play).

I'd really like to work out all the minor bugs now than see something "major" later which I might need to correct in the middle of a snowstorm. Any ideas??? Thanks.

nibbler

Reply #8   May 30, 2009 9:40 am
The traction control is out of adjustment. The connection from the operator lever down to the traction unit ( the thing the engine sits on) is probably too tight. Your owner's manual should describe how to adjust it. You need to loosen it off so the friction wheel isn't in contact with the friction disc when the clutch lever is released.
NHSnowbeast

Reply #9   Jun 1, 2009 11:17 am
Thanks, I will give that a try in the next couple of days... Appreciate the help.
borat

Reply #10   Jun 1, 2009 9:29 pm
You might want to see how the machine responds in cold weather.  The adjustments might be fine at below freezing temps.  If not, adjust it then.
NHSnowbeast

Reply #11   Jun 2, 2009 9:43 pm
Great call... Never even considered that. Thanks.
Replies: 5 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42