Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > My stepson poured a 2-cycle mix into the oil reservoir of our 4-cycle mower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
siebig513

My stepson poured a 2-cycle mix into the oil reservoir of our 4-cycle mower
Original Message   May 26, 2009 7:22 pm
My stepson poured a 2-cycle mix into the oil reservoir of our 4-cycle mower.  The mower is a Troy Built with a Honda engine. It is a manual push behind Model 540.  It is only about 2 years old.

At any rate, of course the mower doesn't start.  We drained everything out and added new, and it just poured out of the mower.  Gas on the floor and oil on top of the deck of the mower.

Is the mower shot?  It never ran with the mix in it. I'm hoping it is just gaskets or something. Is there anything else we can do?

Thanks so much

Carol

Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
borat

Re: My stepson poured a 2-cycle mix into the oil reservoir of our 4-cycle mower
Reply #1   May 27, 2009 9:03 am
If the mower was running well before the pre-mix in the crank case incident and you didn't run the engine with the crank case over filled, it will likely run again.   Right now, I'd guess that the crank case is over filled with oil and excess oil is being forced through the crank case vent and into your carb.  I suggest you find out what the correct volume of oil is required for a normal fill.  Drain what ever is in there now and do a proper re-fill.  Make sure the drain bolt is in snug.  Pull the air filter off and clean it.   Pull the spark plug and clean it also.  While the spark plug is out, pull the starter rope a few times to clear the cylinder.  Put everything back together and give it a shot.   Let us know how it goes.
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42