Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 1130DLE - 11HP L-Head RPM question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
gdl357

Ariens 1130DLE - 11HP L-Head RPM question
Original Message   Apr 18, 2009 5:10 pm
Hi all.

I just adjusted the rpm on my motor because it was running a little to low this winter. 3580 at idle and would drop to 34xx if I remeber correctly.
Today I ran the engine and set it for 3690-3700 this way it will be in the 3500's and have that little extra bit to keep it from wanting to stall like it did this winter when under load. Is this set corectly?
This message was modified Apr 23, 2009 by gdl357

Ariens 1130 DLE on it's way!
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
borat

Re: Ariens 1130DLE - 11HP L-Head RPM question
Reply #1   Apr 19, 2009 11:04 am
Why would your engine stall?  Something doesn't sound right with the carb.  I've used 10 h.p. L head Tecumseh engines in the past running at 3600 rpm and it would take quite a bit to get them to falter let alone stall.  I cannot recall having one of them ever stall.  I presently have a 9.5 B&S engine on a Simplicity 9528 snow thrower running at 3600 +/- 50 rpm that has never shown even an inclination to stall under very heavy loads.   It will drop a bit in rpms (3500 - 3450) under extreme loads but never stalls.  If I were you, I'd pull the float bowl to look for dirt and make sure the float level is set to spec.  I'd also check the float needle and seat to make sure all is well there too. 
Snowmann

Reply #2   Apr 19, 2009 11:56 am
Raising the high idle won't change the torque curve. Under load it'll settle into the same rpm range as it did previously.
gdl357

Reply #3   Apr 23, 2009 12:57 pm
Oh sorry, my meaning of "stall" is incorrect. I thought stall was when an engine's RPM drops a lot and sounds like it will shut off but doesn't.

My engine never stalled on extreem load. It just would drop in rpm because I was not being kind to the blower. I run the blower in second gear, sometimes first and the snow is as high as the bucket and the whole width of the bucket. Sometimes it is hard and icey and sometimes it is slushy, i just attck it like a madman. I think I am pushing the 11HP a little to much. I have no clue, I never had a snow blower before.

Ok I will set the idle at 3620 and take it easier on my new blower. The engine has 15 hours of use on it and has ran great.  

Is there any mod I can do to get a little more torque out of it...a performance muffler, a diferent jet size, anything would help? I am running 94 octane fuel in  it. Wish I could have the 13 HP on my Ariens...

Thx and forgive my bad terminology.

This message was modified Apr 23, 2009 by gdl357

Ariens 1130 DLE on it's way!
whitetail

Reply #4   Apr 24, 2009 12:01 am
I think the engine size is the same on the 11 and 13 hp. Where you should check is the camshaft.I know this from installing a 18hp cam in my 12hp Kohler- wow what a difference. Burns more fuel but does all other jobs better/faster.Did the mod 3-4 years ago and its well worth your time, go to a dealer to find out if the part numbers are different.
Snowmann

Reply #5   Apr 24, 2009 2:46 am
whitetail wrote:
I think the engine size is the same on the 11 and 13 hp. Where you should check is the camshaft.I know this from installing a 18hp cam in my 12hp Kohler- wow what a difference. Burns more fuel but does all other jobs better/faster.Did the mod 3-4 years ago and its well worth your time, go to a dealer to find out if the part numbers are different.

These are completely different engines. Not gonna work...
borat

Reply #6   Apr 24, 2009 9:07 pm
Can't say for sure but if that 11 is working as it should and the rest of the machine is in proper working order, it should throw snow like there will be no tomorrow.  My Simplicity B&S engine is only rated as a  9.5 h.p.  I could not ask for more power.  Really.  I'm thoroughly impressed with it's performance regardless of what it's horse power is supposed to be.  It handles heavy wet snow 30" deep with relative ease.  It might drop 50 to 100 rpm but that's all.  You should check all of the running gear on your machine.  The engine is probably making all the power you need.  Maybe you  have a slipping belt.  If you think it is engine related, check your fuel system.  
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42