Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > lawnmower wheels instead of skid shoes

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
soyomb

lawnmower wheels instead of skid shoes
Original Message   Mar 22, 2009 8:53 pm
has anyone done this mod? i read somewhere where this was done to a degree of success and effectiveness, especially on a gravel surface.
of course, an adapter of sorts will be needed. i was thinking maybe the adjusting part that the wheel attaches to on the lawnmower to be used as that adapter.

any cons to doing this?
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
iLikeOrange

Re: lawnmower wheels instead of skid shoes
Reply #1   Mar 22, 2009 11:14 pm
I think they will ice up, freeze and viola, you have round skids. Worth a try though just make sure you can fit the original skids back on if needed.

soyomb

Reply #2   Mar 23, 2009 1:46 am
you're probably right. 2 seasons and 1 of the skids rusted out totally on the bottom. think i'll go with the non-metal skids.
a little pricier, but they'll last a lot longer.
borat

Reply #3   Mar 23, 2009 7:26 pm
Kind of a neat idea but I think the wheels would soon be damaged from turning the machine.  A small set of roller ball casters might be more effective but they too would be subject to damage by contacting immovable objects etc.  Personally, I'd take a standard set of skids and weld half an inch of formed hard steel to the bottom.  End of skid issues for many, many years.   
iLikeOrange

Reply #4   Mar 24, 2009 3:09 pm

I made these for my unruly driveway. It tames the beast.

This message was modified Mar 24, 2009 by iLikeOrange

aa335

Reply #5   Mar 24, 2009 4:33 pm
Has your "Orange beast" ever seen a snowflake?  Looks like a garage queen, spotless.  Don't tell me you wash and wax it too.

Are those stainless steel nuts and bolts on the skids?  What are those skids made of?

This message was modified Mar 24, 2009 by aa335
iLikeOrange

Reply #6   Mar 24, 2009 7:07 pm
aa335 wrote:
Has your "Orange beast" ever seen a snowflake?  Looks like a garage queen, spotless.  Don't tell me you wash and wax it too.

Are those stainless steel nuts and bolts on the skids?  What are those skids made of?

Yeah it's seen a few hunks of snow. The pic is from 07' but it still looks pretty good. Inside the impeller housing it is getting scraped up a bit though.  Last year I wrapped a piece  of 3/8" aluminum rod around the auger. Surprised it didn't hurt anyting though.  Not even a shearpin.

Wash no wax yes at least once a season. Oops I wasn't supposed to tell you.

Stainless bolts.

Half inch steel stock cut with CNC.  Zinc coated.

O

borat

Reply #7   Mar 24, 2009 8:10 pm
iLikeOrange wrote:
Yeah it's seen a few hunks of snow. The pic is from 07' but it still looks pretty good. Inside the impeller housing it is getting scraped up a bit though.  Last year I wrapped a piece  of 3/8" aluminum rod around the auger. Surprised it didn't hurt anyting though.  Not even a shearpin.

Wash no wax yes at least once a season. Oops I wasn't supposed to tell you.

Stainless bolts.

O

Good job bud. 

Skids for life.  Nice work too. 

aa335

Reply #8   Mar 24, 2009 8:27 pm
iLikeOrange wrote:

Nice work, I was going to ask how you got those slots so neat and precise.  Now I know.

GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #9   Mar 26, 2009 9:52 am
Here is another option for you, that blends some of the benefits of a skid and a ball? This is a skid shoe used on large plows. I saw these in a catalog in 4 & 5" diameter, but they are quite expensive at around $100.  They would also add quite a bit of extra width to your machine.

Cheers

https://t.me/pump_upp
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42