Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 8524 Snowblower problem, won't go forward. Drive pulley wobbling. Advice?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bcb1

Ariens 8524 Snowblower problem, won't go forward. Drive pulley wobbling. Advice?
Original Message   Feb 4, 2009 6:27 pm
I've got a 3 year old Ariens 8524 that's been used a whopping 4 or 5 times, maybe 2 hours total machine time.  Needless to say, we haven't had much snow in the past couple years!

It starts and runs great.  Auger works great.  But it wouldn't go forward.  I removed the plastic belt cover, and sure enough the belt had slipped off.  I managed to get it back on, and it will run in reverse but not in forward.  After tipping the machine forward and removing the bottom cover, I found the problem.  The pulley that the drive belt attaches to is loose and wobbles.  Looks like it's going to be a big pain in the arse to remove everything to get it out of there. 

I'm guessing a bad bushing.  Anyone have any advice or ideas?  Anyone had similar problems with their Ariens snowblower?

Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
nibbler

Re: Ariens 8524 Snowblower problem, won't go forward. Drive pulley wobbling. Advice?
Reply #1   Feb 5, 2009 6:42 am
I'm not familiar with that machine but in general a pulley is held on a shaft by two things, a bolt and a woodruff key ( or similar). The bolt may be on the pulley for low RPM applications or on the engine shaft for higher RPM use. A woodruff key is a little bit of square metal rod that fits in a grove in the shaft the pulley is on and sticks up to engage a matching groove in the hole the shaft goes into on the pulley. If the pulley isn't rotating freely on its own and the wobble is only slight then it may not be the problem. If it is then the woodruff key  either broke ( unlikely) or fell out ( only slightly more likely). If so you will have to remove the belt, pull the pulley, replace the key and retighten the mounting bolt.

I'd check the adjustment of the cable attached to the traction clutch. The belt may have worn a bit and the pulley is slipping when it is set for forward. A quick check is to have the engine running and pull the cable by hand. If the blower moves let go. If it is the cable then there is an adjustment you can do to tighten it until it engages properly.

Given that you have a reverse the only other suspect is the friction wheel/disk assembly. If it has been contaminated with grease or oil then you will get slippage. If the rubber rim of the friction wheel has been seriously damaged then you can also get slippage.

Good luck
jbwool

Re: Ariens 8524 Snowblower problem, won't go forward. Drive pulley wobbling. Advice?
Reply #2   Jan 30, 2011 11:02 am
I am having the exact same problem my 8524 Ariens.  I replaced the drive belt.  Now only have reverse.  The friction place in loose (can be wobbled). 

What was the fix?  Can the drive pulley be tightened?

Thanks

John

Snowmann

Reply #3   Jan 30, 2011 1:17 pm
Guys, there are different platforms of Ariens machines that have been designated 8524. The drive systems would be different depending on which you're referring to . 8524 just refers to horsepower and width. You won't get any god responses unless you give model numbers. Serial numbers would be good too.
bus708

Reply #4   Jan 30, 2011 5:47 pm
I have a 924108. My drive pulley wobbles too . My belts never come off though. I do not have a shifting problem eather. What puzzeles me you say it will not go forward. If it is your belt coming off you will not be able to back up eather under power. Your drive pulley only turns in one direction. Your drive pulley moves in tward your engine to enguage. This is normal. Check your disk for ware and try to adjust it. Check your manual or u-tube on how to adjust it.  I'm not sure but i think It should be 1/8" play with your lever in 1st gear forward. I know some people just flip there unit on the bucket remove the access cover . Clean off all the loose rubber. Then put the unit in FIRST gear. Then spin your wheels by hand  with your lever relseased , Keep adjusting until it locks up. Then back off a half turn. Your wheel should spin free Squeese your handle a few times to check  its operation in ALL THE GEARS. If you feel drag with your handle released in ANY GEAR back it off just enough to remove the drag.
 Make sure your friction dick is clean and DRY NO GREASE ON IT. Then put your cover back on and try it. If you can't adjust it you need a new disk
jbwool

Reply #5   Jan 30, 2011 9:31 pm
Regarding the model #, it is 932104.  I had forward and reverse prior to the belt replacement, that is why this seems weird.  I ran the machine with the belt cover off and it seems fine, even when engaging the clutch.  There was a little grease on the disc and I wiped it off.  

When it is in reverse gears, the friction wheel is near the center of the disc all seems aligned.  However, the forward gears move the friction wheel out toward the edge of the disc. Now when engaged, the pressure from the wheel pushes the disc at least 1/8 th inch due to the play in the shaft.  Perhaps enough not to provide enough traction? 

Again, I don't know if this is the issue, but it is the only thing I see that looks out of place.  There is no screw on the drive pulley shaft that allows you to tighten it.  I tried loosening and tighening the clutch cable but that didn't work either. 

My other thought is perhaps I need a new friction wheel with more rubber on it.  But my reverse works fine and so did the forward gears prior to the belt change.  Any other ideas are appreciated.  Big storm coming to CT again this week and I'm sure the dealer wouldn't get it back to me for a while.

MN_Runner

Reply #6   Jan 30, 2011 9:43 pm
Three possible causes: 1) wrong belt installation (take some pictures of the belt loop and show us how it is installed); 2) belt tensioner is not engaged or not working properly due to incorrect installation; 3) wrong belt length - trust you got the exact same length.
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #7   Jan 30, 2011 9:50 pm
jbwool wrote:
Regarding the model #, it is 932104.  I had forward and reverse prior to the belt replacement, that is why this seems weird.  I ran the machine with the belt cover off and it seems fine, even when engaging the clutch.  There was a little grease on the disc and I wiped it off.  

When it is in reverse gears, the friction wheel is near the center of the disc all seems aligned.  However, the forward gears move the friction wheel out toward the edge of the disc. Now when engaged, the pressure from the wheel pushes the disc at least 1/8 th inch due to the play in the shaft.  Perhaps enough not to provide enough traction? 

Again, I don't know if this is the issue, but it is the only thing I see that looks out of place.  There is no screw on the drive pulley shaft that allows you to tighten it.  I tried loosening and tighening the clutch cable but that didn't work either. 

My other thought is perhaps I need a new friction wheel with more rubber on it.  But my reverse works fine and so did the forward gears prior to the belt change.  Any other ideas are appreciated.  Big storm coming to CT again this week and I'm sure the dealer wouldn't get it back to me for a while.

I'm thinking maybe when you put the belt on you didn't get the idler on the right side of the belt thereby limiting the movement of your friction disc. Just a thought.

jbwool

Reply #8   Jan 31, 2011 9:10 am
You could be right.  I don't have  a shop manual and put the belt on without knowing for sure what side.  

Guess it's time to find one on line and buy it.  Thanks.

Shryp

Reply #9   Jan 31, 2011 9:25 am
Ariens has all their manuals available for download:

http://www.ariens.com/corporate/Pages/OwnerManuals.aspx
jbwool

Reply #10   Feb 2, 2011 10:17 am
Thanks Shyrp.   Just downloaded it.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42