Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Backing up Ariens 11528

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Chuck1

Backing up Ariens 11528
Original Message   Jan 17, 2005 12:40 pm

Hi all,

So far this winter I’ve had the opportunity to use my new Ariens 1152LE about a half a dozen times. As this is the first snow machine I’ve ever owned, it’s taken me at least that many times out to figure out the best way to clear my driveway.

My approach is to come straight out of the garage to the EOD, turn it around and head straight back to the garage. Once there, I disengage the auger and the drive and simply roll/pull the machine back down a gradual slope to the EOD. Once there, I engage the auger and drive and blow forward (I have a two car drive that’s about 40 feet long). I repeat this process until the job is done (8-9 passes).

My question is, will this continuous rolling the machine back over and over have any negative impact on it? Note that I don’t put it in reverse to do this; I simply let the unit roll back. 

Chuck

This message was modified Jan 17, 2005 by Chuck1

Ariens 11528, Yard Machine by MTD 6.0HP Mower, Weed Eater GTI-15, Simoniz S1600 Washer, Weber Silver C.
Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Re: Backing up Ariens 11528
Reply #3   Jan 17, 2005 1:23 pm
Hi...

Rolling it won't hurt...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Reply #4   Jan 17, 2005 3:26 pm
Why? is there a reason you don't turn around at the top and blow on your way down the drive?  that way yer blowin on your way up, and on your way down, get the job done twice as fast, and you get real good with the chute rotation crank :)  Carve out a little turn around area for yourself up near the top and bottom and just run up and down.  You got a big, heavy, expensive machine there, and were i you i'd make sure it's blowing snow every foot it moves on the drive.  Also, park your cars in such a manner that you don't have to turn to avoid them.  Try to make your runs straight lines as much as possible, with your turn around areas placed so as to make it easy to spin that monster around.  I use the street for my machine when I have both wheels locked, but i live on a failry quiet road

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
Chuck1

Reply #5   Jan 17, 2005 6:15 pm
Hi,

The reason that I don't turn it around at the top is that there's really not that much room (two cars wide) and, as you pointed out, it's a big machine and I find it to be a work out to spin it about with two wheels locked. I'm thinking that the 926DLE may have been a better choice given the size of my drive, but it's too late for that option (at least not without spending extra $$)!  I opted for the 11.5hp as we usually get plenty of snow followed by rain which normally results in a heavy mess, especially at the EOD.

Ariens 11528, Yard Machine by MTD 6.0HP Mower, Weed Eater GTI-15, Simoniz S1600 Washer, Weber Silver C.
jubol

Reply #6   Jan 17, 2005 6:33 pm
 Chuckey,

I have a 26 inch bite, 10.5 Hp MTD blower weighing in at 250 Lbs and I can turn it within 3 feet with both wheels locked.

You have almost 40 feet, something is wrong !

Fred   

This message was modified Jan 17, 2005 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #7   Jan 17, 2005 6:37 pm
Chuck1,

Have you tried running the machine with one wheel unlocked? I know that would make a big difference in turning. I'd at least give it a try if your driveway surface is even. I have a rough drive and find it easiest to keep my 11528LE wheels locked to help the machine go reasonably straight.

Jonathan

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #8   Jan 17, 2005 7:17 pm
Welcome Chuck,

As mentioned no it won't hurt the machine but follow MM's advice though I doubt you could move the machine with the friction disk even partially engaged but never the less....

Whatever works for you works for you.  For me I'll be damned if I am walking the length of my drive and not be blowing snow lol....I have a pretty big drive though lol....Also my Honda doesn't roll.... 

C

This message was modified Jan 17, 2005 by ChrisS

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
sawme

1Thess 4: 11-12

Reply #9   Jan 17, 2005 10:08 pm

Definitly right Chris they won't roll

Tom

Stihl 036/MS-55 YB /Homelite Trimmer/ Troy-Bilt Tiller/ MTD Rider/ Honda HS1132TA
Chuck1

Reply #10   Jan 17, 2005 10:18 pm
I'm going to try unlocking the wheel like Jonathan suggests (though I know many of you frown on this) and give it a try. I can't see hurling the thing around such that I can blow both up and down the driveway as that's seems to be what's required if you leave both wheels locked - that lifting/jockying can't be good on the unit?? Maybe I'm being over protective!

Chuck

nibbler

Reply #11   Jan 18, 2005 10:27 am
I've got a 10.5HP blower and habitually keep the wheels locked. A little backwards and forwards action leaning on the handles seems to get it turned. My  tires aren't that agressive and do tend to slip a bit. I sometimes use chains if its icy.

I find that the pattern that I use depends on 2 factors:

1. Wind direction; and
2. Where the snow needs to land.

The best situation is no wind and space for the snow on both sides of the driveway. I can then go up the centre, clear turn arounds at either end and then start going up and down  in a counter clock wise rotation. This does two things, the blower throws better to the right and I don't have to fiddle with the chute control. I therefore don't slow down at the ends. I use the fastest  setting that doesn't cause the auger to start bogging down.

If the wind is bad and I can put the snow down wind then I start on the up wind side and keep cranking the chute each time I get to the end of a swath.

If I can only put snow on one side then I start on the edge farthest from that side and work my way towards it. If the wind is bad then the chute is as far down as I can get it.

If the wind is really bad then I call it a day and come back later. Mother nature's snowblower beats mine everytime we try to compete and its no compettion, she wins.
terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Reply #12   Jan 20, 2005 2:19 pm
Chuck1 wrote:
I'm going to try unlocking the wheel like Jonathan suggests (though I know many of you frown on this) and give it a try. I can't see hurling the thing around such that I can blow both up and down the driveway as that's seems to be what's required if you leave both wheels locked - that lifting/jockying can't be good on the unit?? Maybe I'm being over protective!

Chuck

Chuck,
    I don't think anyone "frowns" on unlocking a wheel per se, we just have acclimatized our selves to leaving the wheels locked for more traction.  It sounds to me as if your pattern is really the cause of your issue.  IF you find you do need/want to keep both wheels locked, try this on a turn.  As you approach the turn around area, come down into first or second gear to slow you down.  Then just put weight into the opposite side of the machine from the direction you want to turn(I weigh bout 210, so to turn my 824 doesn't take alot of effort) with the drive engaged.  I can turn my 824 around in about(maybe even a little less than) 1/2 the width of a SINGLE lange driveway(I do it all the time, as my drive is a single width for about 1/2 it's length)  If you get too close to the house, car, etc, put it into reverse 1 and continue, sort of like a "K" or 3-point turn in a car, or if you had a refrigerator on an appliance dolly and wer going around a corner.  It's not like turning it with one wheel unlocked at all- it 's a much more brute force kind of effort.  Anyway, if you clear turn arounds of the right size, and once you perfect the technique, you'll be able to spin that bad boy around on a dime.  I've gotton to the point where i can do it one handed as I crank the chute.

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42