Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Trouble with my brand new Ariens 927LE

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Speedbird

Trouble with my brand new Ariens 927LE
Original Message   Jan 29, 2009 3:10 am
Hey guys,
I'm a longtime lurker on the website and I really enjoy reading about everyone's different experiences with their SBers.
I purchased mine in October and have used it approximately 7-8 times since the beginning of the winter. It's always performed flawlessly and never given me any problems until today...
I started it up as always by setting the throttle to "max", ensuring full choke and priming three times. When I pulled the starter the engine caught on right away, but unlike every other time where I've almost immediately adjusted the choke setting until it was closed and then let it warm up for  a few minutes, this time it didn't seem to want to me to reduce the choke. It would sputter and eventually die. I tried leaving it running for a few minutes with full choke but then as soon as I changed the setting I got the same result. This went on for a good ten minutes. I left it off for a few minutes while I cleared the snow off my cars and when I tried again, hooray (!!) it worked. The problem is that I noticed that if I left it sitting for a minute or two while I used the shovel, I could hear some small backfires and hiccups. Never heard them before.

I can't think of anything I might have done since the last time I used it and am stumped. My father in law was with me last time and when he finished up the driveway he shut off the fuel flow valve and let the engine starve itself off. Was this wrong?

Can anyone help or does anyone have any suggestions?
i should mention I have the 9hp Tecumseh Snowking engine and electric ignition (which I never use). The SB was purchased at a box store the same color as the beast itself.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 11NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
fabianfledge

Re: Trouble with my brand new Ariens 927LE
Reply #1   Jan 29, 2009 6:32 am
It could be possible that moisture got into the float bowl area when your father in law turned the gas off and ran it dry.
pvrp

Reply #2   Jan 29, 2009 8:40 am
fabianfledge wrote:
It could be possible that moisture got into the float bowl area when your father in law turned the gas off and ran it dry.

Could be, but I do this every time I use my machine and haven't had any problems.

Your carburator jets may be partially clogged (though it seems to be fixed now ?). Perhaps
you've used some old gas, or the container was dirty ?  Have you left gas in the carb for
a long time, like all summer ?

Paul
borat

Reply #3   Jan 29, 2009 8:48 am
My guess is that you had water in the fuel.  Run a bit of gas line anti-freeze through it just to be on the safe side.
Speedbird

Reply #4   Jan 29, 2009 10:14 am
Thanks for the advice guys. moisture in the tank does seem like the most likely culprit. I doubt the carb would be gummed up as it's a new SBer, and it just sat unused for about two weeks, but you never know...
Any recommendations on specific gas line antifreeze? How much should I pour in?

Thanks again.
borat

Reply #5   Jan 29, 2009 12:27 pm
One ounce in a full tank will do the job.  I generally use Seafoam.  It's an all purpose elixir that ails most engine fuel system woes. 
Speedbird

Reply #6   Jan 29, 2009 12:32 pm
thanks Borat,
I know you're considered the "village Elder" on this site so I trust your advice..
Can Seafoam be purchased at CT?
borat

Reply #7   Jan 29, 2009 2:02 pm
Village idiot is often more appropriate but, I'll take the village elder.

NAPA has Seafoam.  CTC doesn't carry it.   You might want to pick up some straight fuel line anti-freeze too.  It's cheap and more concentrated.  If the Seafoam doesn't take out the ice, the straight fuel line anti freeze will.

JeffM

Reply #8   Jan 29, 2009 7:41 pm
Why do you start it at full throttle?  Not that it's contributed to the problem, but methinks you'd want to start it at lower throttle, particularly if it's kept outside.  Cold oil circulates slowly. 
Speedbird

Reply #9   Jan 29, 2009 8:32 pm
Hey Jeff,
As far as I can tell the manual doesn't specify a particular setting for starting the engine under "normal" circumstances. Am I the only one to start at full throttle? Is this wrong or damaging in any way?

PS I didn't find any Seafoam but i did pick up some gas line antifreeze and moisture remover and mixed in 10ml with 4L of fresh gas. No problems starting the engine today and dramatically less backfires though I still heard the odd one when the SBer was left alone for a few minutes...Thanks to all.
What did we do before the internet???
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #10   Jan 29, 2009 9:14 pm
I don't know if starting and running at full throttle is harmful, but I usually start at half throttle and let the engine warm up for a couple minutes. Then use full throttle while blowing the snow.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
Replies: 1 - 10 of 11NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42