Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > MTD / Troybilt Snowblower won't run with choke off/ fully opened butt. valve

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Fly2High

MTD / Troybilt Snowblower won't run with choke off/ fully opened butt. valve
Original Message   Jan 21, 2009 9:20 am
I just purchased a Troy-bilt Storm 2410 snowblower about a week ago.

When I start my snowblower, I turn the choke fully clockwise to close the butterfly(choke is fully on).  I prime it 3-4 times and On the first or second pull it starts. 

As it warms up I slowly turn the choke knob counterclockwise to open the butterfly.  Unfortunately, I reach max engine rpm at about 2/3 to 3/4 choke opening.  I cannot get to full open(choke is off) on the choke.  The choke does not have a true on and off spot marked on the engine.  There is a sticker indicating a gradation from a small, narrow wedge to a large open wedge (at this end there is a picture of a butterfly valve opened)

Is there something wrong?  I have been on a tractor where it would not run if the choke was opened fully.  I do not know if this is correct or if the carb is out of adjustment.

Frank

This message was modified Jan 21, 2009 by Fly2High
Replies: 7 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Fly2High

Re: MTD / Troybilt Snowblower won't run with choke off/ fully opened butt. valve
Reply #7   Jan 28, 2009 9:13 am
Well I got it back and there was some stuff in the carb, not much though.  Guys at Four Seasons said the bigger issue is that the manual has an error.  This is what is said:

"The choke control is found on the rear of the engine and is activated by rotating the knob clockwise.  Activating the choke control closes the choke plate on the carburetor and aids in starting the engine"

Later they tell you to activate the choke and , once warmed up to turn it off.  They got it backwards.  To turn on the choke, you turn it COUNTER CLOCKWISE.

Well, I was starting it with the choke off ( still started on the first or second pull - very nice) and slowly engagine the choke as it wasmed up.  This is why I couldn't go beyond 1/4 rotation.

Hopefully someone at MTD will catch this and update the manual.....

Today it snowed 3-4 inches and I must say, now that I know how to operate it properly, it purred like a kitten.  No sputtering or anything.  Nice and smooth and not too loud (Unfortunately I do not have a point of reference to other snow throwers but based on other yard equipment, it is not too bad).For only a 5 HP motor, it threw the snow with the deflector a little on about 10-20 ft.  I couldn't let it go too far otherwise I would be throwing it into my neighbors driveway.  On the other hand, the snow today was light, not our typical wet heavy stuff.

I think I will very satisfied with this thrower.

Thanks to all that offered advice.

Frank

PACKO

Re: MTD / Troybilt Snowblower won't run with choke off/ fully opened butt. valve
Reply #8   Jan 28, 2009 9:55 am
Usually there is a decal on the housing showing which way to turn the choke.  Perhaps the linkage is hooked into the wrong hole.
Fly2High

Reply #9   Jan 28, 2009 11:39 am
The decal show a curved wedge which is narrowest at the top and widest at the bottom. It curves around the left side of the knob.   At the bottom is a picture of a partially opened butterfly valve.  To me if I want the valve closed, I would point the knob to the narrowest section, since the picture shows the valve open at the other end, hence I would be turning it clockwise.  Unfortunately this too is counter intuitive.  I guess the symbol should have been put at the top.  At the narrow end and a closed valve at the larger bottom end.  They should have labeled one end 'FULL' and the other 'OFF', just like they do in the instructions.  Ironically, the manual has the sticker displayed as a mirror image of what is on the machine....

you can get the manual here (I think)

http://lawnandgarden.owneriq.net/manuals/mfg/troybilt/2410.html

Fly2High

Reply #10   Jan 28, 2009 11:49 am
On page 11 they talk about the choke and its operation.
Page 14 discusses starting.
Replies: 7 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42