Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > I got to try new blower today

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Wheels

I got to try new blower today
Original Message   Jan 17, 2005 10:30 am
We got about an inch of snow today (just north of Baltimore).  I knew it was too little snow to need the blower, but I wanted to try my new Ariens 8526LE blower.  So I shoveled (pushed) snow into piles and fired up the Ariens just to try it.  Now the Ariens is new, and I'm new to snow blowers.  It was fun to watch the snow fly.  But what bothers me is that it seemed to get stuck easily.  And I was on the level part of my parking pad.  I can't imagine going up my incline without locking both wheels.  And then it would be a bear to turn.  Does this seem right?  I was expecting better traction.  Any suggestions?     Thanks

Ariens 8526LE, Cub Cadet 2185 LT, Troy Bilt 8hp 5550 Watt Generator
Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Re: I got to try new blower today
Reply #3   Jan 17, 2005 6:40 pm
What forward speed were you using? Perhaps because of the small amount of snow you weren't going fast enough for the auger to get enough to throw and were plowing. Just a thought.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #4   Jan 17, 2005 7:13 pm
May I add to the others fine thoughts that the first time you use a snowblower, anyone for that matter, there is a learning curve.  Use it a few times before becoming discouraged. 

Welcome to the forum.

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Wheels

Reply #5   Jan 18, 2005 7:54 pm
Thanks for the help guys.  I guess is a learning curve.  Sounds like I'll be able to 'practice' again this weekend.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Ariens 8526LE, Cub Cadet 2185 LT, Troy Bilt 8hp 5550 Watt Generator
snowman

Reply #6   Jan 18, 2005 8:04 pm
It is hard to turn.  Period.  I bought one of these at Home Depot and it wasn't too bad on pushing the stores cement floor, but powered on slippery snow it is a "bear" as stated above.

Does a simply GREAT job moving the snow.  Just have to figure out the best way to attack the area with the least number of tight turns.

BTW, it's on sale now at HD for $900 and 10% off coupons are floating around.  Sad I missed sale but if you're looking it's there.
Termy

Reply #7   Jan 18, 2005 11:08 pm
What kind of pavment you have? I have hurd that depending on what type of pavment you have, changes the fact of how well you can turn on it with all that snow.

REguy

Ever been to the sea Billy??

Reply #8   Jan 19, 2005 11:16 pm
Try pushing down on the handles when coming into a turn so the front of the blower lifts up and spin the machine into your turn. Works well for me with both wheels locked. Toro 826LE, welcome and enjoy the new toy.
viking

Reply #9   Feb 11, 2005 1:57 pm
If I don't repair my homelite I think I'm going to get something like a Toro

Ben07

The more you know about something, the more you find there is to know.

Reply #10   Feb 11, 2005 3:06 pm
Same experience with my 8524le.  Hard to turn unless you muscle it around a lot.  Also  need high gear selection to gather enough snow for it to throw correctly.  The learning curve as suggested will help.  I sort of get around the manuevering problem by using reverse 2 a lot.  I turn completely around and get off to the side of it, hold the lever down, little pressure down on the handle bars while also turning it a little, Then going back into the snow again from the same direction, till I make more room for a wider muscling type thing. You get a partial turn out of it. kinda like taking a break and enjoying the walk.  Takes a little longer, but keeps  you from workin up a sweat.

ben07

This message was modified Feb 11, 2005 by Ben07

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
nibbler

Reply #11   Feb 11, 2005 6:57 pm
Harder to turn with both wheels locked is the main reason that my next blower will have some sort of easy turn control. I'm lusting after an Arien "D" ( Professional) series mainly for that reason. The heavier auger gear case and better bearings are added "nice to haves". My neighbour has an older John Deer commercial duty blower that someone gave him for free. I think it  was made by Ariens, It is a breeze to use, very agile.

I find that with locked wheels its nice to have the tires slip a bit. It makes leaning into a turn easier. It also helps if I hit something that catches the scraper bar such as uneven sidewalk.
Dave

Craftsman 88799

Reply #12   Feb 11, 2005 7:01 pm
Wheels, I would expect fairly decent traction with one wheel drive in lighter snow and on flat pavement. Try using a mid gear, like 3rd gear. You will get a better idea when you get at least 3 or 4 inches of snow to try it on. I normally leave the wheel unlocked for lighter snow, much easier to turn in tight spots.

Dave

Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42