Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > John Deere 1130 SE

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Clay

John Deere 1130 SE
Original Message   Jan 7, 2009 1:07 pm
I did a search and found a few references to this machine but no answers.  Any one have one of these?  15.5 snow max engine, heated hand grips, 30" wide.  I can't find a listing for auger diameter or impeller diameter.  I called John Deere and the guy that was suppose to be the snow thrower expert didn't know either. 

What is the Easy Steer drive system?  The literature says: 

• Easy SteerŽ drive system giving continuous power to both wheels and auto speed adjustment
  • Is it similar to the Ariens auto differential? 

I've heard that the units are built by B&S which translates to Simplicity.  They do have cast iron gear cases like the Simplicity.  The chute control is different than the simplicity and so is the turning method so they are not exactly the same.  I'm trying to compare the Simplicity L1530E to the JD 1130SE.  Any help would be appreciated.

Rick

Replies: 48 - 57 of 333Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
    Santaclause

Re: John Deere 1130 SE
    Reply #48   Jan 19, 2009 10:28 am
    went out this am to use blower and started up wouldnt move gave cable a tug pulled tighter on it and still nothing finnaly acted like it was going to start to drive like it should what a machine looks like theres going to be a trip back to lowes with it ........What a bad purchace I made here never ever again from a big box store
    nibbler

Wet Friction Plate Shouldn't Be a Problem
    Reply #49   Jan 19, 2009 10:42 am
    I've been reading this thread off and on for some time and it seems that the manufacturers are missing the point.

Engaging rant mode, put on fire retardant eyeglasses.

Snow blowers work in wet, cold conditions, snow gets into everything and can melt. Repairs are sometimes done outside of a warm dry shop, it may even be blowing snow and/or sleet while a belt is changed. That is the nature of the environment that the machine must work in. Saying that the whole thing is dependant on a particular part staying dry is the equivalent of saying "we make trash". It simply must work in a cold wet environment, duct tape, adjusted plastic covers whatever are band aids that don't solve the root cause of the problem, the friction disk must work while wet end of story, full stop. If it can't be made to work then you come up with another, maintainable, robust solution.

End of rant.

I have used my machine with the cover off while adjusting the auger belt tension. I would "do a line of snow" to test it and then possibly readjust to get it "just right". I never had a problem with the traction drive just stopping. I have had to adjust the tension on the traction drive cable a few times over the years but so far I consider it normal wear and tear on a machine that regularly does multiple driveways and on occasion clears 1/2 metre snow an 75M of gravelled driveway.

One final comment. If the friction disk is turning at any reasonable rate I would expect any water to fly off due to centripetal force.
    mml4

Snow is good,
    Deep snow is better!

Reply #50   Jan 19, 2009 11:13 am
    Clay wrote:
    In my area Lowes contracts out to the local John Deere dealership, who is sold out of snow throwers to do the final assembly on their snow throwers.  Not even close to Home Depot final assembly.  Problems can happen anywhere these days and some Home Depot guys can do a good job too, but I liked that the JD dealership put mine together.

Rick

Rick- Can we agree that all the outlets are not the same? None of the Home Depot or Lowes outlets in my area send anything out for setup. In addition the local shops (those that are left) had to be forced to do  warranty work by the manufacturers for box store bought machines. The best and most successful shop gave up its Ariens Dealership as a result of the 2 stage units being sold in Home Depot. They now sell only Toro. They make a point of telling Ariens repair customers to take it back to Home Depot. 

While I agree that you can get a properly prepared machine from the big box stores I also know the # of returned units on display as "reconditioned" speaks volumes about how these units are set up. My point is that no matter where you buy a blower you are better served by setting it up yourself for the reason you will be more familiar with the machine. All of them are going to need adjustments and what better way to prepare for that event then setting up the machine from new. By the way I am not especially fond of small dealership set up either. For the most part they flip up the handle bars, connect the linkages, oil level,start her up and try the auger and drive. They don't have the time to take off the belt cover and check all the clearances and linkage adjustments etc. I don't blame them because they can't make a living spending 2 hours setting up each and every machine.

Setting up a machine when new is important and certainly not rocket science which is why I advocate doing it yourself.

Marc

This message was modified Jan 19, 2009 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
    Clay

Reply #51   Jan 19, 2009 11:45 am
    I've been on the phone for a while today with this issue.  I've called Lowes, John Deere Corporate, John Deere Customer service and talked to the local John Deere dealer who does the service on these units.

First things first - MONEY.  These units are on sale locally at Lowes today for 10% off and they have another 10% off with a credit card purchase.  They told me since I bought my unit on the 7th that the would give me the sale price.  An extra 20% off is a good thing - yeah.

I like my unit.  If anyone has read any of my posting, I'm not shy about returning snow throwers, this is my third unit this year - ha.  I'm not ready to return this unit yet.

John Deere corporate is closed because of Martin Luther King day.  Customer service is open.  I actually had the customer service rep on the phone and on this web site at the same time.  I even told Kelly that it would be wonderful to hear from a John Deere employee on this thread.  Don't know if anyone will respond, corporate lawyers get their panties in a bundle these days over something like that (my words not the JD reps comments).  Kelly is taking the information from this site up the ladder and said that she would call me back today.  When I get some feedback from her, I will post it.

Talked to the local JD dealer service manager.  Brian said that he looked up the technical information that is posted on the JD dealer network for the 1130 SE.  The only bulletin that is out on the drive unit is that some units had grease on the friction disk and the metal disk that the friction disk makes contact with.  He said the service bulletin says to remove it with brake cleaning fluid.  I specifiically asked about replacing the friction disk because of a problem with the rubber from which it was made and he said there is nothing about that in the service bulletin section.  I then asked about a new cover for the engine and he also said there is nothing about that on the JD service bulletin either. 

I will call B&S and ask about a new engine cover.  That might be something that is a B&S issue and not on the JD service bulletins.  Two more points, one is when I have dealt with automotive mechanics and searching for service bulletins.  Some times the information is out, but the service rep either doesn't do the search in the same way in which it was entered or can't find the information that is available.   Some companies make it difficult to find this stuff.  The service manager said that he would look at the unit for me and it would be about a day and a half turn around time.  Now that is what I think is damn good service.  Remember Sears said 21 days minimun at one point this year and I don't know what it is now. 

I'm still digging, BUT I for one, am not ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater.  At least not yet.  I might get there,

I'll post back soon.

Rick

redsox

Reply #52   Jan 19, 2009 3:14 pm
    Rick,

Excellent post, I am frustrated, but Lowes took 20% off my cost is now 1200.00. Cast iron gearbox 15.50 torque the machine is built like a tank and is covered under warranty. I still think its the best bang for the buck out there. I for one will be very interested on your upcoming post you seem like a person that is a doer and is going to get to the root of the problem with solutions thanks for your help.

Don

Clay

Reply #53   Jan 19, 2009 4:23 pm
    No return call yet from JD. but I wanted to make another point that I just sent to someone else in a PM.  I have been in a fortunate or unfortunate situation this year in that I have owned a Craftsman 14.5, and Ariens 1130 DLE and this JD.  Guys the Craftsman lost it's drive for me, the Ariens with the Tecumseh L head lost it's drive and so does this JD, but only very occationally.  I'm taking my in to service tonight and let them look at it in the service department and see what they say.

Don, I also just came back from Lowes where they have 10% off on the unit and another 10% off when you use their charge card and I had a $50 off coupon for use on my next purchase over $500.  $1169 before tax and I am a happy camper.  Go find a 15.5 foot pound of torque machine with heated grips under $1200 and I think that is a rare animal.

borat

Reply #54   Jan 19, 2009 6:54 pm
    I've had my Simplicity 9528 for over a year.  It's on it's second season of service and believe me, we have had lots of heavy snow fall.   My machine hasn't been totally immune to drive slippage.  However, it never stops unless it's up against an immovable  object like a curb or brick wall.  If the machine didn't have snow falling down over the intake housing and onto the engine, the wheels will spin.  It seems that once a fair amount of snow fall down onto the engine area, the wheels will drive until the machine makes contact with something immovable then there will be some slipping.  If I move the machine onto an area where it can move freely, it will go.  I did notice however that if I applied pressure to the drive cable when the slipping starts it will put more pressure on the drive wheels and the wheels will spin when up against an immovable object.  So, it would appear to me that moisture on the drive system is likely having an effect.  Adding more pressure to the drive wheel, in my case will overcome the moisture and immediately provide full drive power.  The amount of tolerance for the drive adjustment is very slim.  Too much adjustment will keep the drive engaged.  It has to be just right.   The stock adjuster on the Simplicity doesn't provide enough adjust-ability.  If I go to the next hole, it will keep the drive constantly engaged.  I have since made an external adjuster that I use if I encounter drive slippage.    
    Clay

Reply #55   Jan 19, 2009 8:46 pm
    Talked to the JD rep again late in the day.  While I didn't get any answers yet, Kelly informed me that the guy tec support guys that deal with the nuts and bolts of the unit are working on it.  Let's see what happens tomorrow. 

I did drop off this machine at the local JD dealer tonight.  I dropped it off close to 5 pm and expect to pick it up about Weds.  I want to see how this shakes out too.

More to follow.

Borat, I saw the pictures that you posted of the custom adjuster that you made for your Simplicity.  Neat mod.

Bill_H

Reply #56   Jan 19, 2009 9:13 pm
    Nice Work, Clay/Rick!

I don't have a dog in this particular hunt, but I do see all the posts with the same problem and I'm following it closely out of some weird mechanical curiosity.

If you manage to get this straightened out at some sort of corporate level, you'll probably end up fixing the problems of another half-dozen or more folks here, and who knows how many others. If someone like JD goes to B&S and tells them "there is a problem, fix it", the B&S guys will have to. They can then apply that solution to the other similar machines (Snapper, Simplicity) with drive problems.
    Still gotta wonder if the Ariens drive problems are related. Symptoms are the same.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
    Clay

Reply #57   Jan 20, 2009 1:53 pm
    Well no answer from B&S  by noon so I started calling JD.  One the people that is suppose to know "what is what"  I  left a message on his answering system.  The other JD contact was a customer service rep that I spoke to, and he opened a customer complaint for me on this unit and wasn't able to find any info in their system about these issue of drive problems.  Even though the rep said that my complaint was a priority, from other experiences in life, the more people that complain,  it increases the chances that something gets done. 

So I need your help at this point.  I would like everyone with a John Deere with drive problems to call 1/800-537-8233 and file their own complaint on this issue with John Deere.  I am also going to start a thread for all Briggs and Stratton built machines, like Simplicity, John Deere, the B&S unit that has the Briggs and Stratton name plate and any others that B&S produces (not sure if they make snapper or not) to call the B&S toll free number and log a complaint. at 888/228-3068. 

While I have no great skills as a mechanic, I can be a professional complainer and stir the mud if the need arises.  With your help maybe we can get some kind of response.  The JD customer service guy said that they should respond to me by Monday at the latest - well see how accurate that is.  I am too old to believe everything that people tell me these days.  If they do respond by Monday, I will make sure to give them applause for good follow up.  If not I will also report on that. 

Rick

This message was modified Jan 20, 2009 by Clay
    Replies: 48 - 57 of 333Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
    Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
    AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
    Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
    Site by Take 42