Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > help with alternative to hs 1132

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
dfvellone

help with alternative to hs 1132
Original Message   Jan 15, 2009 12:01 pm
I know the question of snowblower suggestions gets asked a lot but...

If I do decide to definitely shop for a replacement for my hs1132 what models should I look at in terms of the features for my conditions;

-long driveway (1000' just in length)
-lots of snowfall (western adirondack snowbelt area) some dry and light, some wet and heavy.
-deep cold, and the blower is in an unheated space

-ease of turning.  I   want something that my wife can operate in terms of ease of turning. We do considerable clearing around the house - paths to the woodshed, utility shed, walkways around the house, and walkways around farm buildings

I bought the honda because of my experience with honda equipment and their reliability. I  was willing to pay the big price tag because I figured I'd be buying a machine that would last as long as I'd need it.
Who is at that same level of reliability and longevity?

I do have a husqvarna dealer nearby and I've used their saws for commercial heavy use for years with no complaint and only praise. Does this quality extend to their blower line?

And lastly, are the tracks that advantageous that their difficulty in manuvering is worth it?

A lot of demands to consider but snowclearing is a big part of our 5 months here. I appreciate the help!
Replies: 11 - 20 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
dfvellone

Re: help with alternative to hs 1132
Reply #11   Jan 15, 2009 10:48 pm
aa335 wrote:
1000 feet of driveway is a lot for a walk behind.  Assuming you get the biggest 38" blower, that's still at least 4 passes down that driveway, that's 3/4 of a mile.   Not to be a sexist, but I'm not expecting wives to be doing this kind of distance behind a snowblower, tracked or wheeled.

Now if you put them in a Kubota with a heated cab, some music, then there's a possibility.

My wife is  pretty modern and that's all right with me- she definitely carries her weight and isn't afraid to get her hands dirty, but the equality ends quick enough when it comes time to clear the driveway. Although...it's the dogs doing the work pulling the sledder. Uh-oh!
aa335

Reply #12   Jan 15, 2009 10:52 pm
Like Knee_Biter said, get a 928 for the small areas.  Actually, the smaller 724 may be fine too.  Although $2000 for a 724 is quite pricey, there are more cost effective choices.  I'm biased towards tracks as I love taking on deep and packed snow.  Wheeled units may be a better choice if you are tight quarters and have a lot of turns. 

And others have mentioned, get something big that you can ride on for the driveway.  There's no point wearing out an expensive walk-behind exposing it to a service that it was not designed for.  Tracked snowblowers are painfully slow for that long of a driveway.  It can become tiresome and painful just for operating the snowblower, in addition to all the blowing wind and snow and frost biting temperature. 

I believe in getting the right tool for the job or hire a plow service.  As the Brits have a saying "Horses for courses."  The right tools make the job more efficient and enjoyable.  Your equipment lasts a whole lot longer too, doing what it supposed to do.

This message was modified Jan 15, 2009 by aa335
Coldfingers

Reply #13   Jan 16, 2009 9:34 am
That is a lot of driveway, wow! Where I work we have a john deere 2520 utility tractor with a heated cab and a "47" two stage blower mounted on front, its a nice unit except for the cab height, its made for shorter people. Its a cozy cab and if you are over '5'9 you hit your head on the overhead panel where all the controls are, otherwise it does a nice job.

Coldfingers
Bill_H

Reply #14   Jan 17, 2009 1:21 am
aa335 wrote:

Tracked snowblowers are painfully slow for that long of a driveway. 

I don't understand this, why would a tracked blower be slower than a wheeled blower? In my mind, the depth/weight of the snow is the limiting factor on how fast you can go. In light snow you just upshift. My tracked blower in its highest gear is almost too fast to keep up with.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
Coldfingers

Reply #15   Jan 17, 2009 11:08 am
Bill I guess tracked snowblowers are geared 40% slower than comparable wheel drive snowblowers to compensate for the extra power needed to drive the tracks. I have an ariens 9526 dlet track drive snowblower and it is slower than the wheeled one I replaced it with. It does however have added traction to go through the harder packed snowdrift without spinning. I notice it most when I back up, going forward in a higher gear still is fast enough for me and then in first it barely crawls along but doesn't get overpowered as you are going slow.

Coldfingers
Bill_H

Reply #16   Jan 17, 2009 10:37 pm
Are they actually geared lower than the same unit with wheels, or is it because the drive wheel is a smaller diameter? Same result, though.
I can see there being a difference in reverse, but not forward as there is quite a lot of gearing available.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
pvrp

Reply #17   Jan 17, 2009 11:40 pm
Bill_H wrote:
Are they actually geared lower than the same unit with wheels, or is it because the drive wheel is a smaller diameter? Same result, though.
I can see there being a difference in reverse, but not forward as there is quite a lot of gearing available.

Speaking only for the Ariens the lower gearing is because the wheel/sprocket thing that drives the
tracks is so much smaller in diameter than the wheels on the wheeled machines.  Everything else
(apart from the axles and differential) is probably identical, which is why the wheeled ones go too
fast in 1st.

Paul
nhmatt

Reply #18   Jan 18, 2009 8:52 am
Bill_H wrote:
I don't understand this, why would a tracked blower be slower than a wheeled blower? In my mind, the depth/weight of the snow is the limiting factor on how fast you can go. In light snow you just upshift. My tracked blower in its highest gear is almost too fast to keep up with.

The track setup on my Honda 1132 is slower than my old 928 wheeled Honda.   The diameter of the wheels are larger than the height of the trac, and I'm sure its the same trans, ect.  The same revolutions just doesn't cover the same ground.  Now, does it go as fast in snow?  You betcha!
aa335

Reply #19   Jan 18, 2009 11:19 am
Bill_H wrote:

In most instances, you are correct.  On heavier snow, track speed versus wheel is insignificant.  Both will be driving at similiar ground speed to prevent over driving and spilling snow to the side or plowing snow ahead. 

In light fluffy snow up to 5 inches, max speed is a little slow.   I wouldn't mind a bit faster because the auger/impeller has no problem digesting that kind of snow volume.

This message was modified Jan 18, 2009 by aa335
Coldfingers

Reply #20   Jan 18, 2009 2:05 pm
I think everyone explained this very well. When I bought my new track drive ariens this fall the dealer did say that if the snow is light and fluffy you will wish you could go faster through it, he was right. I do have a 520 single stage honda that I was going to sell but have kept it for just this reason, when I get light snow falls that are more than what you want to clear with a shovel I take out the single stage unit and you can go as fast as you want to pushing that. I know its maybe over kill having two machines and my wife mentions that every once in awhile, ha!, but I figure between the two of them that I'm set hopefully for a long time to come.

Coldfingers

Replies: 11 - 20 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42