Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > help with alternative to hs 1132

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
dfvellone

help with alternative to hs 1132
Original Message   Jan 15, 2009 12:01 pm
I know the question of snowblower suggestions gets asked a lot but...

If I do decide to definitely shop for a replacement for my hs1132 what models should I look at in terms of the features for my conditions;

-long driveway (1000' just in length)
-lots of snowfall (western adirondack snowbelt area) some dry and light, some wet and heavy.
-deep cold, and the blower is in an unheated space

-ease of turning.  I   want something that my wife can operate in terms of ease of turning. We do considerable clearing around the house - paths to the woodshed, utility shed, walkways around the house, and walkways around farm buildings

I bought the honda because of my experience with honda equipment and their reliability. I  was willing to pay the big price tag because I figured I'd be buying a machine that would last as long as I'd need it.
Who is at that same level of reliability and longevity?

I do have a husqvarna dealer nearby and I've used their saws for commercial heavy use for years with no complaint and only praise. Does this quality extend to their blower line?

And lastly, are the tracks that advantageous that their difficulty in manuvering is worth it?

A lot of demands to consider but snowclearing is a big part of our 5 months here. I appreciate the help!
Replies: 21 - 24 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Bill_H

Re: help with alternative to hs 1132
Reply #21   Jan 18, 2009 4:13 pm
aa335 wrote:
In most instances, you are correct.  On heavier snow, track speed versus wheel is insignificant.  Both will be driving at similiar ground speed to prevent over driving and spilling snow to the side or plowing snow ahead. 

In light fluffy snow up to 5 inches, max speed is a little slow.   I wouldn't mind a bit faster because the auger/impeller has no problem digesting that kind of snow volume.

OK, now it all makes sense, thanks. Looks like it's just a difference between brands.

My tracked machine has a really high gear that is almost too fast to use since you're walking so fast. I only use it when I finish at the bottom of the driveway, and put it in transport mode (lifts bucket off the ground about 1.5", also useful for making paths over grass) and run back up to the garage. Must be the way the gearing - I use that term loosely, it's really how far from the center of the friction disk you are -  is set up, since my lowest gear is too slow for almost anything and the highest is too fast for almost anything. I even do EOD in 2nd.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
aa335

Reply #22   Jan 18, 2009 5:27 pm
Coldfingers wrote:
I think everyone explained this very well. When I bought my new track drive ariens this fall the dealer did say that if the snow is light and fluffy you will wish you could go faster through it, he was right. I do have a 520 single stage honda that I was going to sell but have kept it for just this reason, when I get light snow falls that are more than what you want to clear with a shovel I take out the single stage unit and you can go as fast as you want to pushing that. I know its maybe over kill having two machines and my wife mentions that every once in awhile, ha!, but I figure between the two of them that I'm set hopefully for a long time to come.

Coldfingers

Never sell your good working single stage.  I have just the 1132 now and wish I could add a small nimble one for light snow and for curvy service walkway.
This message was modified Jan 18, 2009 by aa335
Coldfingers

Reply #23   Jan 18, 2009 6:17 pm
aa335,  a friend of mine was at a yard sale last fall and bought a 3 hp. toro single stage which looked really nice yet for 25.00 because it was 90 outside and no one would bid on it. Ha! I never go to those things but after hearing that it made me think about it, you never know when you might run across one.

Coldfingers

aa335

Reply #24   Jan 18, 2009 6:59 pm
That's a good price.  I like those little Toro, powerful for how small they are.  Replacement parts are so cheap and it is so easy to work on.  They are noisy little bugger though.  Sounds like a nest of pissed off bees.

I bought one of those Power Lites a long time ago for my dad and then a few years later upgraded to the Honda HS621.   The little Toro was too small for his driveway.

This message was modified Jan 18, 2009 by aa335
Replies: 21 - 24 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42