Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Craftsman 2 stage - half auger won't turn

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
puck1263

Craftsman 2 stage - half auger won't turn
Original Message   Jan 12, 2009 7:32 pm
Would appreciate suggestion.  Newbie to snow blowing.

My craftsman has started and ran great for the last year.  Today, only half of the auger ("passenger" side) turns  when engaged.  The impeller is still working.  With the engine off, the "passenger" side will rotate nearly one revolution freely, until hitting a stop, which I assume is the engine.  The "drivers" side freewheels.  How do I fix this?  We've got quite a load outside.  Many thanks.  I'll reply with the model # if I can find it.
Replies: 15 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
puck1263

Re: Craftsman 2 stage - half auger won't turn
Reply #15   Jan 15, 2009 9:39 pm
clay,
Originally, the one side moved some, slowly.  Now, with the shear bolt replaced neither move.

If I engage the auger with the engine off, I can turn both augers , but the impeller does not turn, so I guess gear box.  I have both shear bolts in.
borat

Reply #16   Jan 15, 2009 10:08 pm
If you're lucky, there might be a locking pin that secures the drive gear to the drive shaft.  If it has sheared, you might just need to replace that.  So, pull it apart and tell us what you find.  Pay close attention to how it comes apart.  Watch for bushings, seals and washers.  Take some digital pics to aid in re-assembly.
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #17   Jan 16, 2009 12:37 am
puck1263 wrote:
clay, <BR>Originally, the one side moved some, slowly.  Now, with the shear bolt replaced neither move.<BR><BR>If I engage the auger with the engine off, I can turn both augers , but the impeller does not turn, so I guess gear box.  I have both shear bolts in.

Puck
Lets see some good pics of your problem before the fix.Best of luck,Allan.

puck1263

Reply #18   Jan 17, 2009 4:24 pm
Guys,
Not sure how to take a picture.  Any picture I take will look like a normal unit.  I think I found the cause of the damage, however.  It appears the previous owner used a regular bolt, not a shear bolt in the other half.

I took all the bolts out of the gear housing, thinking it would split in half so I can get to the gears, but it hasn't.  Any good ideas how to take it apart?
iceman

Reply #19   Jan 29, 2009 10:32 am
Puck,

Did you resolve the problem?  I have the exact same thing happening with my 3 month old Craftsman. One Augur spins freely (same side as yours).  I'm about to take it apart and i'm hoping it's as simple as a sheared locking pin.  Here's the link to my snowblower.

http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B001JHWG1O/sr=1-4/qid=1233242236/ref=sr_1_4/185-2559315-2707731?ie=UTF8&searsBrand=core&mqnodeid=394759011

Replies: 15 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42